Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ann
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, today, our family put our sweet boy, Lincoln, who would have been 11 years old August 17th, down. The end of June, an echocardiogram revealed a tumor in his upper heart chamber. Because he had been diagnosed with hemangioma of the spleen May, 2018, the cardiologist felt that it was most like hemangiosarcoma. There was nothing we could do other than putting him on I’m Yunity and hope for the best.

He had his good days and then some bad days that left him catatonic for several hours. Each time that we thought this was it, he would bounce back as if nothing happened and was ok for a few days. However, the bad days became more and more frequent. When he refused food and was unable to control his bladder and bowels, we knew it was time.

Lincoln was loving, intelligent and gentle. We took him everywhere and he was such a great traveler. I recall one weekend about five years ago, my teenage daughter, son and I went to Manhattan to visit our older daughter who was in a residency program. Her studio apartment had parcay floors. At night, one of the neighbors banged on the wall when Lincoln’s nails would click on the floor. I grabbed my son’s socks and put them on his paws. Lincoln was so good about it and never once tried to bite them off.

September of last year we brought home 8 weeks old Bear. From the beginning, Lincoln was so patient with him. Even when Bear’s little shark teeth would bite him in the ear, Lincoln would bark or growl but never, ever did he bite him. Bear learned very quickly who the alpha was and what he could and could not do. Bear brought new life to Lincoln who loved playing with him in the yard. Bear was housebroken and out of the crate in record time. I attribute this to his great teacher and brother, Lincoln.

We are all heartbroken but we have wonderful memories. His passing was so peaceful and quick. Our vet said, “he was definitely ready”. The last thing our beautiful boy saw was the faces of the people that loved him. He, in turn, gave us unconditional love back. He will be missed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
I am so sorry, saying goodbye is the hardest thing. I'm glad his memories bring you joy. Godspeed good boy.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I am so very sorry. Tears are streaming down my face as I read your tribute to sweet Lincoln.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is so difficult when that time comes. I am sorry and hope all your wonderful memories of Lincoln's time with you will help you during this time. Through your words, Lincoln was very much loved and I am sure he loved you as well!

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious Lincoln, your tribute is so lovely and touching. Would you like me to add him to The Rainbow Bridge List?.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,880 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your beautiful Lincoln.
I can tell from your words how very special he was, my thoughts are with you.

Godspeed Lincoln

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sadly, having been down that road too often myself, I understand the depth of your pain. Cherish your happy memories and may those memories help you thru this difficult time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lincoln, i can tell by your words he was a very special boy.

My thoughts are with you and your family, run free at the rainbow bridge sweet boy!

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. No matter how long we have them, it's never long enough. Kind thoughts coming your way.

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
So so sorry to hear about sweet Lincoln. They really do take a piece of us with them when they go. It is always comforting to think that they were “ready” to go, and that Lincoln had so many wonderful years with you.

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, please do. Thank you, Ann[/QUOTE

I have added your sweet Lincoln to The Rainbow Bridge List.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet Lincoln. What a gorgeous boy, and fantastic role model for Bear! I hope the happy memories help heal your heart {{{hugs}}}

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am so sorry. Lincoln looked like a very good boy. I'm sure you and your family gave Lincoln a wonderful life and I hope you find comfort in all of the good memories.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Your Lincoln was a beautiful Golden, a wonderful soul. Like many here, the loss of Lincoln is shared by us having been through having to say goodbye to a special Golden. I hope time helps you feel better soon and that the memories he left for you live forever in your heart.

Godspeed to Lincoln

dlm ny country

1 - 20 of 33 Posts