Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was an active participant when I first got Boomer as a 12 week old male, in March 2017. It is with deep regret that I had to euthanize Boomer after almost three years of increasingly severe bouts of epileptic seizures; which started as wincing, to quarterly grand mals, to monthly grand mals, to the finally, focal seizures . . . many short term seizures throughout the day. His medications included most, with final meds including Keppra, Pb, and gabopentin, all, to no avail. The only medication that would stop the seizures were atomized, nasal, Valium, which only lasted of short duration. He was under the care of three vets, primary care, ER, and a neurologist; no expense was spared. I finally could no longer put any hope in eliminating the seizures and concluded that they were no longer ideopathic but related to some cranial disorder, though undiagnosed as such.

I am devastated. I lost my best friend in the truest sense of the word. He was a joy, a loving, fun, carefree dog that had as good a life as I could provide, even with epilepsy. He and I lived alone in a big house, as Boomer was acquired after losing my wife of 52 years. He was also provided for in the event of my untimely death, with a younger couple that does Golden Retriever rescue, and would have kept Boomer for themselves. The picture is at a Starbucks here in Jacksonville, FL, the day before the last bout of seizures that preceded his untimely death.
IMG_4683.jpeg

·
Puddles
3,964 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of Boomer's passing, such a special boy. Seizures are a horrible thing to manage and painful to watch. I also live alone and was devastated when my girl passed so totally understand the emptiness. I hope you will consider a new buddy sooner than later. I'm not one to move forward quickly but was truly surprised at how dealing with a busy puppy helped me through the grieving process. Thank you for giving Boomer such a wonder home. He will always be in your heart.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still reeling from the loss as it's only a few days ago, and love the breed so much thst I'd want another golden; but, am wary of the possibility of another epileptic dog. I can afford the expense but am terrified of going through the hopes of a solution only to move into another series of seizures. I think this site has a section devoted to epilepsy that I should likely visit. Thanks for your encouraging words.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss and understand your devastation. Kind thoughts coming your way.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I am so terribly sorry for the devastating loss of your beautiful Boomer. I commend and admire you for all that you did for him. He obviously brought so much comfort to your life despite his illness. I too hope you will be able to introduce another Golden into your life. Take care as you go through this difficult time.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,197 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Boomer, he was beautiful and very special.
My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's almost like losing a body part when life is mostly you and your dog. Try to keep focused on the good times you two shared.

·
Super Moderator
3,010 Posts
My sympathies to you. Devastating to lose a member of your family.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel this is a place where my loss is perceived as 'real', as opposed to others who mean well, say all the correct words, but somehow in my heart they cannot comprehend the loss of a pet as traumatic nor tragic. I bear no ill-will as their intentions all good but those of us who lost a pet, and to me, a loved one, can feel the emotions of the tragedy. Especially in the case of being a caregiver for an ostensibly healthy, loving, fun, companion so much of the time only to be overshadowed by the increasing gloom of seizures, ending in tragedy.
Thank you, all of you, as your words are comforting.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. You did everything that could have been done. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your heartbreaking loss, would you like me to add Boomer to the rainbow Bridge list?.

·
5,171 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Boomer. Many of us understand the heartbreak when a furry family member is lost.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Like the others here I’m am so sorry for you. You did the right thing letting Boomer leave his broken body so he can run free. It’s the toughest love of all. I’m 4 months removed from putting a 14 year old down. I can’t imagine what you both went through with his seizures. Given his young age an unexpected and difficult situation you we’re dealing with. You’re a good human. I’m sure he understood that. He’ll always be with you. Take care

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear about Boomer, I lost my main man about 7 weeks ago now and still find myself crying.
Only the other day I found myself bursting into tears whilst watching videos of him, thing is, I work as a mental health nurse and I was sitting in the car park in my uniform :/

It does get easier, yet, I don’t know if I could ever get another Golden as I would almost feel as though I’m cheating on the greatest friend I ever had. I had Murphy over 14 years, you never got that, what you did do however was provide him with love, you strived to offer him the best life you could. So, ask yourself if you would like to have lived his life, going from one seizure to another and I think you will find out how much of an asset you really were to this animal.

Give it time, I found going on the Reddit pet-loss section really helped me, it just allowed me to share my feelings with like minded individuals.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's almost one-week and quite honestly I'm not much better. The haunting sadness is punctuated by the terrible feeling that I could have done something more: a different combo of meds, was there something in his life that triggered the seizures, should I have sought other medical opinions. I researched epilepsy among canines for years and seems we are still in the 'really don't know', as in humans. But the real sadness is the loss of a beautiful, spirited, young, and ostensibly healthy Golden who added such joy to my life that without his companionship feel so empty. Ah well, as Augustine said, ... and accept the thing you cannot change. Thanks for all of your condolences, and while I'm not a great believer in group therapy, all of your condolences have made it a bit less gloomy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am so sorry about your loss of Boomer -- and at such a young age. I know the grief is overwhelming. I lost my Luke on August 28. He had an aggressive cancer that took him in four months. He turned nine about a month before he died.

I'm sure your loss is especially deep as you have also lost your wife of so many years and you and Boomer were so close. Having lost four family members in my life, I think grief compounds over time in some ways. I know Luke felt like a therapy dog for me and calmed my soul. I felt like he was my best friend.

It's hard to believe right now, but I will say for me -- after six weeks of every day crying -- and now almost five months post -- I'm smiling some when I think of Luke. I know there will always be a way too soon and "why?" aspects for you about Boomer. I felt that way about Luke and he was nine. My daughter lost her sweet Gatsby (a retriever Border Collie mix) when he was ten months to epileptic seizures. After watching Gatsby deteriorate, I can tell you you did what was best for your sweet Boomer. I hope you will come to know that completely. Love can be extremely difficult at times. Fortunately, Goldens are worth what we give them and a bazillion times more.

Boomer was absolutely beautiful.

I just got a new puppy -- Logan -- yesterday. He is giving us so many smiles already. Prayers you will find a new puppy to share yours (and Boomers) love with one day. Let your heart grieve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's almost one-week and quite honestly I'm not much better. The haunting sadness is punctuated by the terrible feeling that I could have done something more: a different combo of meds, was there something in his life that triggered the seizures, should I have sought other medical opinions. I researched epilepsy among canines for years and seems we are still in the 'really don't know', as in humans. But the real sadness is the loss of a beautiful, spirited, young, and ostensibly healthy Golden who added such joy to my life that without his companionship feel so empty. Ah well, as Augustine said, ... and accept the thing you cannot change. Thanks for all of your condolences, and while I'm not a great believer in group therapy, all of your condolences have made it a bit less gloomy.
If it’s any consolation, I’m currently in floods atm thinking about Murphy.
I thought the same, “could I have helped more, could I have acted sooner.”
I replay our last few days together constantly, flip I miss him :(

keep chin up my friend, cheers from Ireland.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts