Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 week old's (Annie) training is coming along really well I think, as she has learned quite a few commands, but I am wondering what is the best to work on at this young age. So far Annie knows sit, stay, come, laydown, shake, dance, and is a pretty good fetcher (as long as she doesn't get distracted). We are also working on basic obedience training to teach her to not jump on people or on furniture. She is also doing great at her housebreaking.

Any ideas on what is best to be training now? I usually have 2-3 formal trainings a day that last about 5-10 minutes, and of course constant obedience training. She really seems to be a very smart pup and enjoys working. She is by far the most intelligent dog I have ever owned and I would like to keep her progressing. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sounds like she is doing great! She is absolutely adorable!!!! The next commands I would teach would be drop it (for when something is in her mouth) and leave it (before she puts it in her mouth). I have found those to be lifesavers (literally sometimes!) since mine will eat just about anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Annie has the sweetest face! I agree with Maya's Mom, drop it and leave it are good commands to start working on. It sounds like you and Annie are doing great.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Your Annie looks like a little sweetie. It sounds like her training is coming along great. Keep up the good work.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I agree on the drop it/leave it command. I would continue to stress the "come" as it will be the single most important command and it will at some point not be her "best" command. (It is only natural.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts