Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

the puppies are now relieving themselves, and by the end of the day the carpets, blankets and towels we have in their little area are all wet. I would like for them to be comfortable and have a dry surface all the time.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a floor covering that would be absorbent? I've been thinking about the floor coverings for urine absorption for small puppies, but I remember Kia once tore them to pieces when she was little (they have an odour which she probably reacted to). The other option is to start laying newspapers there...

I don't know. Please let me know if you come across anything and/or had experiences with a good material.

THANKS!!!
V. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Vierka, I advise to to keep them on solid wooden floor with blanket pulled over it.
And don't worry, many puppy-mills keep their puppies in cages, on wire-mesh floors and they somehow always survive.
Just make sure that the blanket is always clean (change it every day) and don't forget to keep the room temperature above 26 degrees.
Please keep us posted!
pepe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for tryint to help, Pepe. Thankfuly we are far in terms from a puppy mill and our "babies" are in only for the best stuff around. The pups started to go to one little area in particular by themselves, so I think I'll just start putting newspapers down instead of towels and blankets. That way it may be easier for the new parents to house train. At least that's the plan... :D

Reactions: JeanieBeth

·
Registered
10 Posts
i used newspaper layer it or shread it in a shreader. it absorbs the urine a drys pretty quick. I also keep plastic under the whelping box to protect the wood floors.
the towels and blaket would get and stay to wet the newpaper did work much better, but dont use the ads, they dont absobe well

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! The newspaper shredding is a good idea. We don't have a wooden floor underneath (it's linoleum), so it's just carpets and blankets on the floor, so it's not cold for the little ones.

·
Registered
215 Posts
WE use indoor/outdoor carpets with marine backing, they have already learned this is where they sleep, then we use newspapers for their "restrooms" They LOVE the carpet, and it holds up nicely. We bought a pretty large peice and just cut the peices down to size, then when it is soiled, we take it out and my hubs cleans it outside and i put a new piece in. Then when that one is dry, you can easily re use it! This is a wonderful solution so far! Let me know what you think!:p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great, Allie. However, I have a problem with the newspaper - because it is soaked in a bit, and the urine slides on it, and they run all over it and love to play with the newspaper (thankfully usually when it's clean). It just seems like there must be a better, more hygienic, cleaner solution for the washroom breaks.

Otherwise they are good in using mainly that one area where the newspapers are laid.
We tried the cedar wood shavings (those for hamsters, etc.), but you can see the mess they made in one of the pictures. The pan was not large enough for them to turn around to poop, so that was a mistake. And it was just way too much fun to roll around in it!!!
I have read on the net that some breeders use compressed wood pellets for the pan. This might be a less messy option (not so much dust initially). We're willing to try it, but I haven't found a place that sells these.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know if it would be the same, but for Niblet's litter box I use recycled newspaper pellets. They're hard and compact and would definitely make less of a mess than the shavings. I used a product called Yesterday's News. It's sold in the kitty litter aisle at Petsmart.

Again, not sure if this would help, but thought I would try to be useful and/or helpful.:)

Bon

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bon! That sounds great - actually it sounds like something I've been looking for. I'll check out the store tomorrow. Today the pups made a nice mess with the newspapers - torn and carried all through their little place. No wood shavings available there, so they help themselves to what is available - the papers... very crafty these little ones :D. We'll post some pictures later. I am amazed I'm still here at 1:40 am, I might be getting too tired to sleep :eek:.
Joe is passed out for couple of hours now.
The pups are quiet now, let's hope it will stay that way until the morning (that would be a small miracle).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.