Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We went out to dinner up here in Cashiers, NC and sat outside with Logan. It was crowded, there were kids playing cornhole, plenty of dogs around, and every table was taken.

As we sat a while and Logan had received quite a few compliments and greetings, a young boy (probably about 10 years old) came up and asked if he could pet Logan. He also asked if Logan would bite him. The more the boy hung out, the more I realized he may be autistic. I’m not sure, but something was going on. He was communicative a little, but seemed to not be responsive to responses or input as if he were in his own space.

While he stood there petting Logan, he touched near Logan’s eyes (I was watching out to make sure he was gentle) interested in the hairs growing above Logan’s eyes that are so long. He also flipped Logan’s ears over (gently) and was touching his ear canals telling me Logan’s ears were just like his. He asked if he could touch Logan’s teeth and I showed him Logan’s teeth and he touched his lower front teeth. He asked repeatedly if he could feed Logan and was taking our bread he dipped in our marinara (haha) and hanging it over Logan’s face. I told him Logan couldn’t eat table food, told Logan ”not yours”, and Logan was holding his own since we had just been practicing in class today him not going for dangling ham 😅.

The little boy was getting Logan to “shake” and must have asked 10 times if Logan would bite him. He hung out around 20 minutes. His mom told him repeatedly he always had to ask before petting a dog. He asked again if Logan would bite him and I told him Logan would not, but to always ask like his mom said. He asked me if I could put my hands in Logan’s mouth and I showed him I could put my hand in Logan’s mouth because I brushed his teeth every night. He asked if he could try, but never got quite brave enough to do that.

Anyway, I’m so proud of Logan. The boy was really touching him so much and around his head (gentle or I would have stopped him) and Logan was such a champ holding his sit and letting the boy do all of that.

I hope eventually I can see if Logan can visit children in some capacity for volunteer work. He’s so good with them.

That’s all of my mom/dog bragging. Lol

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Logan probably made that little boys night. Now he’s home begging his Mom for a Golden.

Good boy Logan and good training! The bread would have tested Cruz.
I feel sure it was the fact we specifically worked on impulse control with ham today. Logan was probably wanting that bread. Lol

I forgot sometime during all of that exchange the little boy said, “I love him.” Awwww.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great story - and also kudos to you for being patient and understanding to the boy and his needs.
He seemed like a sweet kid. He accidentally kicked over Logan’s water bowl and started getting very stressed and crying about it. Luckily, I had a full cup of water on the table and told him it was alright and he could refill the bowl with it. That seemed to help him not be so upset.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last week I was a volunteer at a TDI test and Logan has exactly the inherent qualities that make a great therapy dog.
Great story
I think when he’s about four. He’s great with children — really gentle and calm, but can still get pretty happy about some things. 😅

·
Registered
96 Posts
We went out to dinner up here in Cashiers, NC and sat outside with Logan. It was crowded, there were kids playing cornhole, plenty of dogs around, and every table was taken.

As we sat a while and Logan had received quite a few compliments and greetings, a young boy (probably about 10 years old) came up and asked if he could pet Logan. He also asked if Logan would bite him. The more the boy hung out, the more I realized he may be autistic. I’m not sure, but something was going on. He was communicative a little, but seemed to not be responsive to responses or input as if he were in his own space.

While he stood there petting Logan, he touched near Logan’s eyes (I was watching out to make sure he was gentle) interested in the hairs growing above Logan’s eyes that are so long. He also flipped Logan’s ears over (gently) and was touching his ear canals telling me Logan’s ears were just like his. He asked if he could touch Logan’s teeth and I showed him Logan’s teeth and he touched his lower front teeth. He asked repeatedly if he could feed Logan and was taking our bread he dipped in our marinara (haha) and hanging it over Logan’s face. I told him Logan couldn’t eat table food, told Logan ”not yours”, and Logan was holding his own since we had just been practicing in class today him not going for dangling ham 😅.

The little boy was getting Logan to “shake” and must have asked 10 times if Logan would bite him. He hung out around 20 minutes. His mom told him repeatedly he always had to ask before petting a dog. He asked again if Logan would bite him and I told him Logan would not, but to always ask like his mom said. He asked me if I could put my hands in Logan’s mouth and I showed him I could put my hand in Logan’s mouth because I brushed his teeth every night. He asked if he could try, but never got quite brave enough to do that.

Anyway, I’m so proud of Logan. The boy was really touching him so much and around his head (gentle or I would have stopped him) and Logan was such a champ holding his sit and letting the boy do all of that.

I hope eventually I can see if Logan can visit children in some capacity for volunteer work. He’s so good with them.

That’s all of my mom/dog bragging. Lol
Aww, what a sweet story! Your dog is incredible! :) I'm curious: do you have any children living with you? If not, how did you get Logan so agreeable to children fidgeting with him?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aww, what a sweet story! Your dog is incredible! :) I'm curious: do you have any children living with you? If not, how did you get Logan so agreeable to children fidgeting with him?
I have three grandchildren and they live in my neighborhood two blocks away. Grace is nine, Charlotte is seven, and Adler is almost five. If I said yes, my daughter may prefer to move in upstairs in our house. 😅

I just started early (8 weeks forward) on making sure they were very gentle with him and teaching him to be gentle with them.

They have a lot of fun together.

Smile Dog Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

Water Cloud Sky Dog Carnivore

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have three grandchildren and they live in my neighborhood two blocks away. Grace is nine, Charlotte is seven, and Adler is almost five. If I said yes, my daughter may prefer to move in upstairs in our house. 😅

I just started early (8 weeks forward) on making sure they were very gentle with him and teaching him to be gentle with them.

They have a lot of fun together.

View attachment 893697

View attachment 893696
There are young children in my neighborhood, so hopefully when I'm ready for my puppy there will be many opportunities to invite them and their parents over to my family's house, or to meet at a park or other location and play with the puppy. :)

There are few relationships quite as precious as that of dog and young child as best friends. :)

Thanks for the adorable pictures!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts