Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 13 ½ year old golden retriever, Tucker had to be put to sleep Monday. He was the sweetest and kindest dog I had ever see…… I never heard him growl. We got him 6 months after my first golden Dusty died who was also 13 ½. My son named him and he was part of the family. He was my wife’s Marianne’s 2nd son she worked from home and raised him from a pup and you could tell who the Alpha was with him if we were both in the room ……..but he was my buddy. I remember how we came to choose him, we were at the breeder’s and all the puppies came out but one….I was playing with the fat one and sometime later out came the last, the only one without a collar on…..…. and since then we always joked we seemed to live at times in “Tuckers World” . My wife played with him and fell in love with him and that did it for her…we chose …Tucker what a great choice. We eventually found out he was actually the “pick of the litter” and they even asked us if we wanted to show him as a puppy, though we never showed him. I will always remember when we picked him up on the drive home he cried and we had to stop at the 7-eleven for some cheese and he never stopped eating. The we let him out when we got home in our back yard that was unfenced at the time and I had to chase him down before he hit the “woods” and I was afraid a hawk was going to come dome and pick him up.

This is tough as we am going to really miss him….. What a lovable dog he was and we will always treasure the time we had and will especially cherish the memories:
• How everyone loved you for being so sweet and gentile
• How he pranced when he walked
• How soft the hair was on his head and ears
• The long-tufted hair on the back of his legs
• The full and bushy tail
• His bandannas that he wore since we got him
• Slept with us every day and I had to avoid stepping on him at night
• The way he hopped down the stairs like a rabbit
• How he hated for you to touch his front paws
• How he never learned to “come”
• How he never learned to retrieve
• How he can “bopping” into a room
• How I feed him every morning before work
• Look into my eyes as I rubbed either side of his snout
• How he would “suck" on his security blanket
• How he woke me up every weekend by 6 AM to feed him
• How he would follow me into the laundry room to make sure I was getting the food and the spin around and head to his dish
• How he would stand in front of his toy bin and bark refusing to take one until you picked out the exact one he wanted.
• How he ran around the back yard when you played with him
• How he never gave back the ball you threw but thought it was a game of keep away.
• How he played with his squeaky toys, finding the exact spot and “squeaking” away
• How he loved to play “tug” with you with his rope and “slinky” toys
Chase his big ball in the back yard
• How he seemed to listen when I talked to him and I was certain he understood
• How thought he was a lap dog and would sit in my lap
• How he stayed with my wife all day as she worked
• How he stayed downstairs and stayed with me all day when I worked from home
• The sound of his license and tags jingling as he woke up from sleeping/napping
• How in the morning he would wait at the top of the steps until he heard his food hit his dish then you would hear him come hopping down the stairs
• How you were certain he could tell time as he would he would get your attention just before his evening meal
• How he laid down at the top of the foyer stairs so he could look out the large foyer window to watch was happening outside and also in the house,
• How he loved to lay on the cool tile floors, particularly in the bathroom
• How because of the hair between his toes he would actually walk by sliding on the wood floors
• How he would go down the stairs and at the bottom jump off to the left so he hit the center carpet so not to slide on the wood floor
• Take the “Tucker Walk” which was more of a smelling trip as he stopped every 100 ft to smell something
• How if he took some food too aggressively if you said gentle we would softly take it
• How you could take something, including food right out of his mouth and never worry
• How he would chase you if you picked up the security blanket or moved it
• How he thought I was calling him if I watched the horse races or sports on TV
• How he would follow us around the house because he would never stay in a room alone
• How he would sit next to me if I ate or ran to refrigerator if I opened it because he always knew I would give him something
• How he would wait for me outside the shower in the morning to head down stair to eat
• The way he always greeted us with a toy in his mouth when we returned home and got up on the ottoman to wait
• How he laid in his sofa bed hanging his feet off the edge
• How he curled up in sofa bed looking like ½ his size
• How laid with head between his legs and watched what you were doing by following you just by moving his eye lids
• How he laid at top of stairs in foyer so he could look outside and also see what was happening inside
• How he would watch from the window as we left the house and drove way
• How he would move the blinds with his nose to see who drove up the driveway when we came home
• How if he was in the backyard he would run to the fence gate see it was me run to the deck stairs the run back to the fence confirm before he would head to the house
• How he would make me get up and let him outside every 15 minutes
• How he only barked when he wanted something and let out a squeaky bark if he was dead serious
• How he learned to tap the door to tell you he wanted to go out then learned it was a way to get your attention
• How he loved fruit, particularly strawberries apples and bananas…I called him my “monkey boy”
• How he licked peanut butter off a spoon
• How he could eat from fork
• Ate lettuce but only if it had dressing on it
• How he really loved cheese and if you were eating some he would give you a look like “What about me”look
• How he would tap the door as if he wanted to go outside then when the door was opened back pedal and point with his nose to the “Treat” Jar
• How he barked at the hot air balloons that would come over the house
• How he chased the blowing leaves on his walk
• How he loved holidays when the relatives were over because he would have fest when people feed him
• Doing “Poop Patrol” in the back yard and have him leave me another while I was picking up
• Sat outside the room waiting for me as I tied flies
• Never would poop or piss on the road payment
• Would always greet another dog walker by running to them for attention and ignoring their dog
• How he ran through the snow and would stick his nose through it
• How he would bark and cry at the window along the garage if he saw you outside without him
• How he always greeted you with a wagging tail
• How if laying down acknowledged you by pounding his tail on the floor
• Turn his head toward your hand as you massaged the inside of those floppy Wes
• Would come up to you when sitting down and face way from you and not toward you when he wanted to be petted
• Let you know that he wanted his after-dinner treat
• Love to lick left over ice cream yogurt and apple sauce from the container
• Would stamp his feet if you did not do something fast enough
• No matter how much remained, would make to refill his water dish with cold water
• If I saw him later how he Would go to his treat jar and point at it even if already received one previously
• Ate my Prince nymphs and we had to have them removed by the vet…..you can see them clearly in the x-ray I still have.
• Got loose and ran down to the creek and came back coated in mud.
• Ran way the morning of a KY Derby party a few years ago and came back in the neighbor’s car sitting I the front seat with his head hanging out the window as they drove up the drive way as if to say …..Hi Daddy I am back!
• Running down the street after him when he left the yard
• Do a 180 degree turn I the air as I let him out on the deck as he heard the “whooss” of a hot air balloon as it came over the house
• The stand-off he had with a fox as a little puppy only to have the fox realize he got a lot bigger 6 months a later
• Watching him stalk birds in the back yard think he could catch them…..which one time he did
• How he decided to eat about a ½ dozen Bourbon Chocolate cupcakes my wife made for my son's high school graduation party
• When decided he loved potato rolls and you could not leave the on the counter
• When he snuck in between my two young nephews and decided he liked their donut that was sitting on the table
• The day he sat eyeing up my brother's dog playing with her treat, throwing it in the air until he could not stand it any longer and grabbed it from the floor……as if to say Tucker does not play with his food!
• Christmas morning when he got his new toy and played with it like it was the only one he had

But Most of All I Will Miss the Way He Always Made You Feel Good and Would Make You Smile………Rest in Peace My Sweet Boy and Buddy ………….You Lived a Long Good Life and We Tried to Do Right by You as We Could Not Let You Suffer…….. I Know I Will See You Again

Attachments

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. You have a beautiful list of memories. May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
What a beautiful eulogy for your buddy...I have alot of those same memories from 2 of my guys who are at the bridge... sounds like he had an awesome life with you...you say you picked him as a pup, but it sounds like he picked you....:laugh::laugh:... So sorry his time was up... thinking of you and your family....

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,175 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet beautiful Tucker.
What a long good life he had with you, one filled with so many memories.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Lucky dog to have so much love. Lucky humans to have such a loving companion. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So sorry for your lost. You have been blessed twice by two goldens who lived long lives. You are definitely doing something very right. I hope all your fond memories of Tucker will get you through what I can only imagine, is a very difficult time.

·
Karen
986 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your boy Tucker. Your list is of a life filled with love and joy...

The line..
• Ran way the morning of a KY Derby party a few years ago and came back in the neighbor’s car sitting I the front seat with his head hanging out the window as they drove up the drive way as if to say …..Hi Daddy I am back!

is great. Keep tight of those memories, kind thoughts for you and your family as you grieve

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your Tucker sounds like a fantastic Golden. He sure made a long list of memories for you to remember him in so many ways. You can rest assured all those memories Tucker made for you were his way of saying "thanks" for giving him a great life. You took great care of him and made the ultimate decision by making sure he didn't have to suffer at then end. Run free Tucker.

dlm ny country

“The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal, and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again, but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your boy, it's so hard when they go but they certainly leave a place in our hearts forever.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: cwag

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Tucker. He was so loved and lived a great life. Lots of us understand how awful it is to say good bye.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you everyone...not having a good time with this one. I thought Iwould better this time but this is tougher than the first time and I hoped Iwas turning the corner last night but today has been really tough. I am tryingto grieve and move forward but did not realize how much he had affected me andhow I loved him and would really miss him. He was so happy and kind ...healways made me feel good and smile. The irony of the whole thing is that hepassed almost to the date of my last golden who also passed at 13 1/2. Evenmore odd was the fact that we traveled 50 miles in hope to go to a moretechnically advanced vet hospital and our travels took us on the same route wetook when we went to pick him up except for the fact that we made left on thehighway 195 to go to the vet instead of a right traveling to the breeder in PA.

I have been collecting all his pictures together and it helped at times. I wasso happy that I found the pictures of him when we first saw him....and I thinkNeeko13 it was right he selected us and not the other way around. I added the pictureof the first time we saw him and some of my favorites including the one of himsitting in my lap....something he did all the time...and I miss it.

I have a hole in me right know and I know I can never replace him and I willjump back in. I know it is a long process to do it right and will be asking forsome advice on finding another pup hopefully the NJ/Eastern PA area and hopeyou will help me. Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

I have a hole in me right know and I know I can never replace him and I willjump back in. I know it is a long process to do it right and will be asking forsome advice on finding another pup hopefully the NJ/Eastern PA area and hopeyou will help me. Thanks again
So true you can't replace the one you love so much but I do think, when you sense the time is right, that getting a new dog gives you someone new to love, a distraction from grief, and it fills the void of not having a dog in the house. In you original post you mentioned the soft ears and when I was "Goldenless" I missed that so much. In fact I nearly became a crazy lady who would chase down golden retrievers begging to pet them and then crying about how much I hated not having one.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
7 Posts
My heart goes out to you for the loss of your Tucker. I know what you are feeling because I just lost my Dixie Rose - but that's for another thread. What I want you to know is that while reading the list of all of your beautiful memories, it inspired me to make a list of my own - to work my way out of the sadness and anger I'm feeling at losing my best friend, my shot-gun rider through life's every moment, my beautiful girl. Please know that I feel your pain and your sense of loss. May your beloved Tucker live forever in your precious memories of a wonderful boy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am so sorry you lost such a beautiful family member. We lost ours 4 weeks ago, and I miss him immensely. I hope your wonderful (and some funny!) memories of Tucker help heal your heart. This board was wonderful therapy when we lost Rudy, and the members have been amazing at helping us connect with possible (quality!) breeders.
Thinking of you and your family.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Awww, what a sweet sugar face boy.

Reactions: Karen519
1 - 20 of 20 Posts