Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who were kind of following my situation here, Unfortunately, we were not able to keep Sam. The owners son decided that he did not want to part with him. For the four days we had him, you can get unbelievably attached. Him and Riley had a blast together. It was probably the first time Sam was ever able to really play and run in the snow. It broke my heart to take him back to that place because after we left he would have probably went straight to the crate. The mother told me as I was leaving she will try to convince him what is best for the puppy.:(

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I am so, so sad to hear that. Your heart must be in two. Poor pup...lets hope and pray that the mother does the right thing and he can come 'home' to you and Riley. I will be be thinking of you, stay strong xxxx

·
Administrator
16,483 Posts
I hope things do change and you can get Sam back. Every so often if you speak to the mom I would ask her if there is any chance yet for you to get Sam.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That is so sad. If you do get the chance to get him again, can you have them sign an owner surrender form. That way you will have legal ownership of him and won't have to go through this heartbreak again.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. Poor Sam. But dont give up, maybe he will have a change of heart and you can get him back. Keep in touch with them.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I didn't say anything 2 weeks ago, but I was worried about this with Milo too. His family were all in tears when I left with him.

I remember asking myself "What the hell am I going to do if they call tomorrow and say they would like to have their dog back" ?

And I would not be able to be angry. After all, I did the same thing with Nikita 15 years ago. I was recovering from 3 major back operations, including a fusion, and keeping 2 dogs was just too hard at the time. But, the next day Rusty was litterally flipping over furniture looking for her, and I was very upset as well. So, I called and asked very nicely. We went and got her an hour later. I paid the nice gent for his gas, time, etc...

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
This is sad. If you aren't able to have Sam back I hope the owner and her son smarten up and give Sam a better life than just sitting in a crate all day.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
So sorry to hear about Sam. I hope you get him back or aleast hear things are better for him.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
So sad for everyone. :( As for the son, I've had to say no to my son for things he thinks he really really really desperately wants and have to say no. I think the parents should have stood their ground. Too bad they didn't.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I am just reading about this, how old is the son?
The most important thing is what is good for Sam, I hope they change their mind and give him back to you.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'm also just reading this for the first time. I don't understand why some parent's can't tell their child NO. Although I'm not a parent yet, I know that parenting isn't always easy and it is about doing what is right. I hope that they do what is right by Sam and return him to you. If you get the opportunity to get him back, please get some kind of release of ownership signed. I'm so sorry.

·
Premium Member
18,639 Posts
I am so disappointed! Poor little Sam. Did you get to talk to her about giving him a better quality of life?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Sam had to go back for now. I do believe you'll get a phone call eventually saying that you can come pick up Sam again. Just make sure they know they can call you any time to come pick him up. I bet they will. And next time, have them sign over ownership.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
That really sucks, especially since it sounds like Sam's old home wasn't the greatest.

I agree with whomever suggested to call the mother every now and then... maybe to suggest a play date with Riley and Sam, but secretly to see if you can't get them to turn him over to you for good. This must be so hard for you, and I'm sorry it had to happen.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I am so sorry Sam had to go back, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is. I would definitely stay in touch with the mother and hopefully she will realize that he would have a much better life with your family and turn him back over to you guys. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think she handed Sam over to us without the son knowing. I think he is around 16. And being a teenager, always on the go doing their own thing. Not the the dog was abused, but lacking attention. No playtime, no social time, no tlc, mental abuse maybe. I am hoping to get a call by the weekend.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
What if you send them pictures of Sam at your house-playing, hanging out, etc.? Maybe that would help persuade the son that Sam was happier there. You could do it under the guise that you thought they might enjoy these pictures of Sam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts