Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today my Eight year old golden retriever was startled by the thunder storms, she cried and whimpered all morning. Me and my family left my house for about 4 hours and when we came back she was no where to be found. She hasn't come back yet and it's past midnight, she is always here at this time and she never sleeps outside. I'm starting to get extremely worried and I don't know what could have happened to her.
also, I don't know if this is important but she is overweight and very lazy, she always stays near the house but apparently that's not the case now because we searched for her everywhere and we tried calling her by her name but nothing happened.
I know some of you might think I'm overreacting but this behavior is unusually strange, she is not one of those dogs who run away for a day or two and then come back for some food or shelter. She is always with us. Could she have just left? I don't want to think of the worse case scenario here but please help me. Why did she leave?
By the way, English is not my native language. I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
Have you contacted local animal control and posted signs to locate her? Dogs will run when scared - she may have run to other people and or she may be in an animal shelter.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
When you are scared it is natural that you will try to run to a safer place without any real plans. Maybe she was running to try to find you.

We met a dog who had run away from home after hearing fireworks someone had picked them up and was trying to find the owner. I hope that this is what has happened to your girl.

Did she have an ID tag or microchip?

I wish you the very best in finding her and hope that she does return to your door step asap!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Contact all the local vets as well. People will often contact the nearest vet if they find a roaming animal. Also maybe contact your local radio station and they may put out an alert for her. Hopefully someone has her safe and you will soon be reunited.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wishing your sweet girl a quick and safe return home. Definitely check animal control daily, make flyers, and contact vets, groomers, pet stores. Dont give up hope through this, my sisters dog was recovered after missing for 2 months.

Reactions: Melfice

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Contact the animal control in your area and in surrounding area.
I've heard people have had luck with putting a piece of clothing that has been worn outside where the dog was last seen.
Put up flyers, use bright paper and use the word reward-you don't need to specify the amount of the reward.
Good luck and please let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I had an intact male once that would go exploring periodically. I lived in a suburban area and quickly learned to go out walking and listen for the barking of the other dogs and I generally would find him pretty quickly.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
You're not overreacting, I'd be freaking out. I'm assuming she was left outside when you guys left? Have you had any luck finding her? Usually most shelters/animal control have lots of dogs after fireworks and thunderstorms.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
She could have been hit by a car, she could have been picked up by someone else and taken. You need to put flyers out on every corner and on every door in the neighborhood, call AND go to the local animal shelter, post her lost on Facebook and Craigslist. Call all the veterinarians within a 20 mile radius and alert them to her being lost, fax or hand carry your flyer to their offices, so if they have clients with a "new" Golden they will know you are looking for yours.

I hope you find her.

·
Wise Goodog
218 Posts
I understand your concern. I had to labs leave their owners-follow our guys on a walk in the woods. We didn't know until we had 4-not 2 dogs. People were MIA We walked them home and started making calls. I called :Mom: who wasn't home. She was out looking for them. All the while they were running laps around our dining room table with our guys.
A very grateful but frantic woman called me 10 hours later--came by and picked up her pups. I hope someone would do the same if my guys followed their dogs.

Vets-Animal control and Facebook are starting points. Twitter is a good option too. I hope all is well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts