Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that my beloved Teddy has gone deaf. He will be turning 13 in March and yesterday we discovered that his hearing is definitely going. He is a chihuahua/pomeranian mix. He still eats great, plays every so often, climbs the stairs and jumps the 2 foot gap between the ottoman and our couch to cuddle with us. He is definitely slowing down. I noticed last week that he was coughing which made me nervous because he does have a heart murmur which he has had since a pup but that is gone now and yesterday when I called his name he just didn't respond. If we yell his name he responds but if he is sleeping we have to touch him to wake him.

Is there anything that I should do for him? Could he have had a cold that has made him stuffy or do you think age has just caught up to him? He isn't rubbing his ears or anything at all and not acting differently at all.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well, my family had a pom that went deaf, blind, lost his hair.... He was pretty pathetic after a while but we never saw any discomfort etc from him so he lived a happy life with us... He probably started losing his sight/hearing around 13? He lived to 18... We made the choice to put him down :( He would bark in corners for hours (slightly comical) but overall he was still spunky... I know this didn't help but I thought I'd share a deaf pom story... We still had a lot of good years out of Bobo (we didn't name him)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Our 16 year old aussie mix is completely deaf ( came with age). The best thing you can do is start teaching him some hand signals. It's a learning curve for you both. Our Syd knows our signal for "come" and "food". Teach everyone in your family ( children? ) to gently touch him when he is unaware you're there so as to not startle him. The other thing I did was get a tag (from dogtagart.com) that says she's deaf... just in case she ever got lost.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I agree with Penny & Maggie's Mom ^^

Maggie started losing her hearing around age 12. We had to watch my granddaughter when she was toddling around since many times Maggie didn't know she was there and if DGD fell on her she'd be startled and sometimes snap.

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very relieved to know that this seems to be a common problem for dogs around this age. I've mentioned to the kids to be cautious with him and they are very good with him and love him dearly. It is just breaking my heart because this is the first "real" sign that he is getting old.:no:

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
It's hard when they get old and begin to lose their hearing. Young Man lost his sight and hearing. I would get home and he would be barking and wagging his tail, and his back was to me, looking at the wall. He could tell I was home, but I think what he could hear was what bounced off the wall, the sound of the door shutting.

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
My 1st golden, Sybyl, was nearly 16 when I lost her and she was pretty much deaf the last few years. She could still mark a bird across a field. The hand signals I taught her when younger helped alot in later years. Funny how she could still "hear" an icecube hit the dogfood pan or popcorn popping though. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts