Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am a new member and not yet the owner of a Golden but I'm hoping somebody out there can help me. Back in 1961 my father bought a beautiful dark red male from, I'm fairly certain, Jack Reid of Goldrange in Langley. Kelly was brought home when I was 2 weeks old and remained my closest pal until his death 13 years later. Dad trained him to hunt but he was primarily the family pet.

My last dog (a Great Dane) died two years ago and I'm now investigating breeders. I've decided I'd like to get a Golden Retriever, specifically one like the dog I grew up with -- large, dark red, and more of the sort now called a "field" dog.

I haven't found many breeders of that sort in Canada but have been in contact with Carol Lantiegne of Adirondac Goldens in the US. Her dogs look like exactly the sort I'm seeking. I'm wondering, however, if anyone on the forum here could direct me to Canadian breeders of the "field" style goldens and if anyone has had experience with Adirondac Goldens?

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Shelagh

·
Kristy
9,680 Posts
So here is a list of the dogs listed as owned by Jack Reid in the Golden Retriever pedigree data base called k9data:

Pedigree: Flashy Sheba of Goldrange

Pedigree: Goldrange Bonnie Bryn

Pedigree: Am/Can CH. Goldrange Fine Fella of Yeo OS

Pedigree: Can. CH Wendy Of Yeo Am.Can. CD

Pedigree: Keylo Kon of Goldrange

If you click on these links you will see the pages for the dogs and you can see ancestors and any offspring or siblings which are recorded.

An Adirondac dog will be a dog that is bred to work. Have you asked Carol for referrals closer to home? Have you checked into retrieving clubs in your region to see who has working Goldens?

Raising a Golden will be night and day to life with a Great Dane. One of the reasons that the Golden that you grew up with was such an awesome family dog was that your father put time and effort into training Kelly for the job he was born for and it gave that puppy the structure and exercise necessary to be a good dog.

I wish you well with your search.

·
Kristy
9,680 Posts
If you go to the site k9data.com and enter the Goldrange kennel name in the search feature at the bottom left, it will bring up all the dog with Goldrange in the kennel name. I started looking and Jack Reid had more dogs than just what I found searching his name. If you have your Kelly's pedigree it would be easy to find his ancestors. Here are more I found:

Pedigree: CanCH Blonde Bimbo of Goldrange

Pedigree: Can Ch Goldrange Camalire Reflection

You might enjoy reading through this, the more you learn about Goldens and reputable breeders, health clearances etc. the less likely you are to be taken advantage of by a less than ethical breeder. Take your time doing research on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your help Nolefan!

I've been doing a fair bit of research on Goldens -- I've owned a number of pure bred dogs all from very reputable breeders that I spent much time researching. My last, the Great Dane mentioned, lived a long life for a Dane without a single sick day except at the very end. I took him through his championship and many levels of obedience. I credit his health, longevity, and performance in the ring to his breeder's care. She came highly recommended.

One of many reasons I am now looking to Goldens is that I'd like a dog with a bit more vim this time round. Yes, it will be night and day to living with a Dane! Dad worked Kelly and he was my model -- Dad that is -- for how to live with a dog. Whatever pup I end up with next will be well trained and worked as well.

I live in Quebec and so Adirondac is actually pretty close to me (within a four-hour drive) but I'm also looking at Canadian breeders in the area. One of the joys that came with my last dog was proximity to his breeder who I was able to spend time with frequently and who handled him in the ring on occasion. I'd like to be close enough to my next breeder to visit often. So, I'm now also looking at Ambertrail and a Quebec-based breeder whose kennel name is Zomarick. Both have dogs that seem the type I'm looking for. Ambertrail also seems to have a good reputation but I can't find much about Zomarick.

Anyway, thanks so much for the links on Jack Reid and Goldenrange. I'm going to dig deeper on that too!

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I live near Ambertrail and can vouch for their good reputation. They are active in several dog sports, including agility, which is where I see many of their dogs. Three of my friends have Ambertrail dogs and are very happy with them. The breeder has a lot of experience and if you describe the kind of dog you want, he will identify the right pup for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ceegee! I am going to call Ambertrail this afternoon. I do like the fact that they are within a couple of hours of Montreal where I live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts