Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Hello! My dog is 8 months and she and I went to the dog park today. When we came back, I noticed her right eye was swollen and she has blood under her skin on her abdomen, near her anus/vagina, under an armpit, and on one side of her body. Looks like bruising but I don’t know how she could have gotten like this? What could have caused it? Is there a way for a vet to see what might have caused it?

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
Did she play with any dogs while at the park?
I would have her checked out as soon as you can, especially her eye.

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
Assuming you were watching your dog and did not see anything that would have caused bleeding under the skin and swelling around her eye, I would take her in for the vet to check her out. Not to freak you out, but there are bleeding disorders in this breed and I've unfortunately have heard of a few goldens who have suddenly had major blood problems.

Simple roughhousing shouldn't have caused bruising like that. Maybe a serious attack might have, but you would have noticed that happening?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that’s what’s got me baffled. She was roughhousing yes, but I have looked it up and it shouldn’t have caused these types of injuries. They are scattered all over her body basically. When I called the vet, they said although they can give advice without seeing her, that if it’s bruising, to not worry and to do cold compresses and just watch her for the next few days until they heal. I take her there regularly so I don’t see why she would steer me wrong, ya know?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
That one place looks like a nail scrape, perhaps acquired during one of the tussles.. if you witnessed the tussling and do not feel it should have caused this level of bruising, a vonWildebrands test is in order since that is the primary bleeding disorder in Goldens (other than of course hemangiosarcoma which is a cancer of the lining of blood rich vessels). You didn't post an eye pic but there's no way to ignore eyes safely, she at least needs to be seen to discover whether she has corneal scratches or abrasions so her vision is protected. From an abrasion can develop an ulcer and then worse. Talking to the front desk is rarely useful, since good probing is required to get from owner exact history and issues.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
Yeah, that’s what’s got me baffled. She was roughhousing yes, but I have looked it up and it shouldn’t have caused these types of injuries. They are scattered all over her body basically. When I called the vet, they said although they can give advice without seeing her, that if it’s bruising, to not worry and to do cold compresses and just watch her for the next few days until they heal. I take her there regularly so I don’t see why she would steer me wrong, ya know?
I would have her eye examined..... it may not be serious but it could be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts