Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goldie is now 4 months old. He is a very happy and loving Golden Retriever. While i was at work my wife let him out into OUR GARDEN to play. The neighbours dogs jumped in our garden and attacked Goldie. Although they are smaller than him he doesn't know how to defend himself. They bit his neck and legs. When i got home i checked for and injuries but thankfully i didnt find anything. His doesnt seem to be affected by any of the happenings,. He is know playing in the garden not worried if theyll be back. Not in Any pain either, but i feel very angry. Its late(11pm) so i didnt go round to their house. ill go first thing in the morning. I dont even know why i hoped on and started a thread about this but it felt right at the time i started. Oh well sorry to take up space in the forum. I feel better already. Thanks for being here for us.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
What breed or mix are the other dogs?

I wonder if it was just play. Sometimes play can look very vicious. But if he's not seeming to be worried or afraid, I wonder if it looked worse than it was. Playing does involve a lot of teeth on body parts that isn't really biting.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Honestly, this may sound awful, but after dealing with a neighbor's aggressive dog too many times, I carry a big shovel with me when I'm in our front yard with our dogs. I will not hesitate to protect my two from being attacked by our neighbor's a-hole dog/human aggressive black lab. He's gone after Chloe several times and it's just not acceptable. You should make clear to your neighbors that it's NOT ok and that you will not hesitate to protect Goldie if it happens again. That threat was all it took for my neighbors to keep their dog on leash.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are 100% positive that it is aggression and not just rough play, and if it is happening on regular basis, you can simply call 911 and say I fear my neighbors dog. That should solve the problem right away. They wont even tell them who it was that called.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know what breed they are but they are like some hairy terrier breed. i looked for pics on google but didnt find anything. they are be a mix of something. does vicious looking play biting involve the bitten part to scream like crazy? They always seem to want to attack Goldie when im walking him but i shoo them away. They are always free to roam 24/7. Which was normal for here in Cyprus, like 10 years ago. The owners saw it all and didnt even come to say anything. They alway say people are complaining about their "innocent" dogs. Now i know the truth. I dont want to argue with them but im trying real hard to hold my self back. Im going to tell them that if they dont confine they dogs somehow that i will have to complain to the council about them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Honestly, this may sound awful, but after dealing with a neighbor's aggressive dog too many times, I carry a big shovel with me when I'm in our front yard with our dogs. I will not hesitate to protect my two from being attacked by our neighbor's a-hole dog/human aggressive black lab. He's gone after Chloe several times and it's just not acceptable. You should make clear to your neighbors that it's NOT ok and that you will not hesitate to protect Goldie if it happens again. That threat was all it took for my neighbors to keep their dog on leash.
You must be such an awful person to carry a big shovel with you. But I must be more awful for giggling at the though of you walking out into the front yard with your big shovel!!!

Really I don't want to devalue the seriousness of your situation, it is horrifying that you have to resort to such measures to ensure you two family members. True love is carrying a big shovel to protect your dogs not matter what!!

Yamanjazz I can understand and empathize with the anger and fear you are feeling, no one likes to see their loved ones hurt. Have you written down a record of exactly when and what happened?

Before you talk to the neighbors sit down and write down exactly the points you wish to discuss with your neighbors before going. Also consider what outcome you are aiming for? Try to be as rational and emotionless as possible. These situations can so easily become huge issues. Try not to sound like you are attacking the neighbors, as everyone can be a bit defensive of their loved ones. Good luck for finding a solution that works for all party's involved!

As far as reporting to the council you have every right to and this will help if there are issues with this in the future. If I was in the situation I would ensure I told the neighbors that I was making a report and explain why, otherwise there is the potential to stir the pot and make the situation worse.

Glad to hear goldie is happily getting on with life. Give him a belly rub from me!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like rough play to me, but then again, I wasn't there to witness it first hand. Rough play can involve a lot of teeth and some growling. Was Goldie screaming as if she feared for her life and needed help, or did she just let out a whimper to let the other dogs know they're biting to hard and hurting her? If she's not acting scared, I wouldn't think she considers them a threat.

If you say other neighbors are complaining about their dogs though, maybe they're just to aggressive and don't know how to play nice.

We just started bringing our 5 month old Golden, JJ, to the dog park a couple weeks ago and he experienced something like this. A few dogs there were going at him pretty rough, biting his neck and legs. At first, he whimpered as if he needed help, so, naturally, we split them up every time they got near each other. About an hour and a few more bites later, JJ started to realize they were only trying to play with him. The whimpering stopped even though the biting didn't, and eventually, JJ would walk over to them and instigate them to come after him again, as if he enjoyed it.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I feel bad for Goldie but happy he wasnt traumatized by the whole ordeal. I would have a whip back the garden door so you have something handy if they jump the fence again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to you all for your support. I did a bbuzz recommended. I thought about what happend and what i wanted to get out of the confrontation. We had an hour chat with the neighbours. We agreed that its not ok for their dogs to freely roam around the estate unattended. Hopefully it wont happen again. Although i did make it clear to them that i had no choice but to report them in case of any future incidents. The guy at the council told me that they have received alot of complaints about them.
They seemed a bit upset with the idea of being reported but "if you do the crime, you have to do the time" ;)

·
flykelley
675 Posts
I know you should have to do this but fence's are real good at keeping other dogs out of the yard and your dog out of harms way. I see that you already have a fence but if this keeps being a issue a taller fence or maybe even a 6 ft wood privacy fence. Other dogs can't see wants on the other side and wood fences are hard for dogs to climb. I have done this in my first house took down a old 4 ft fence and installed a 6ft fence. The house Im in now there was no fence so the first thing I did was have a six ft wood privacy fence installed before I moved in. There was some large and mean dogs living behind us at the time and I didn't trust a chain link fence to keep them apart, plus as I said with a six ft wooden fence they couldn't see each other.

Good Luck Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We live in a Site(or estate) where all the house look identical from the outside and we are cant make any changes to the appearance(on the outside of course). So a 6ft fence would be a no no :( but im sure that it would solve al lot of issues.

·
flykelley
675 Posts
We live in a Site(or estate) where all the house look identical from the outside and we are cant make any changes to the appearance(on the outside of course). So a 6ft fence would be a no no :( but im sure that it would solve al lot of issues.
That sucks, then you will need to keep doing what you planned and just try to keep a watchful eye on the dogs when they are out.

Regards Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts