Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know goldens were bred to retrieve fowl and return them undamaged, hence the soft mouths, but as we don't hunt in Singapore or have any birds to retrieve the furthest I thought about this trait was having them hold a raw egg in their mouth like those viral videos on facebook!

Well recently I had a real life 'soft mouth' experience via Monty. We were headed back home from a walk and he caught a baby bird. It was hopping on the floor trying to fly and i didn't spot it in time before he swooped in and grabbed it in his mouth! the bird was crying its lungs out and the parents were flying around trying to peck me, but i was so amazed because Monty stood there with the bird alive in his mouth and did not chomp down at all.

I pried him out of Monty's mouth and he was totally unharmed- rather unhappy though.
12.jpeg

Have you had 'soft mouths' experiences?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sheena empties the stufffing from most of her toys, but she got a rather large puppy toy for Christmas that seems to be her favorite to nap with or just carry around. So far she has not tried to eviscerate it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When Rosie was less than a year old and still likely to pick up anything she found on the ground, I was working hard on the "drop it" command. One day we were out walking and I saw her quickly pick up something under a tree. As soon as I said "Drop it!", she opened her mouth and a sparrow flew out!

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When Rosie was less than a year old and still likely to pick up anything she found on the ground, I was working hard on the "drop it" command. One day we were out walking and I saw her quickly pick up something under a tree. As soon as I said "Drop it!", she opened her mouth and a sparrow flew out!
Amazing that the sparrow was completely unharmed!!! A bird once flew into my sister's house and her chow chow killed it with one bite.. Same for my friend with a Shiba Inu! Goldens sure are amazing!!!

·
Super Moderator
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How sweet of Monty! What a kind pooch! Pretty amazing looking bird! What is it?
It was a sparrow i think!

What a good boy! Luna's under the impression that this little guy might be alive so she carries him around very gently. He's the only toy she doesn't chomp on. Instead she puts him down and watches him very intently to see if he'll move.

View attachment 871331
She's so silly she must think its her little friend!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Amazing that the sparrow was completely unharmed!!! A bird once flew into my sister's house and her chow chow killed it with one bite.. Same for my friend with a Shiba Inu! Goldens sure are amazing!!!
They most certainly are!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts