Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I faced some bad news on the weekend which led to the both of us being very upset and crying.

Our Phoebe had her head in both of our laps and then jumped off the bed and threw up on the floor. It was nothing she ate as her throw up was mostly water. Right after she came back on the bed and laid with us.

I didnt know that us being upset would upset Phoebe as much as it did

It was the most amazing thing I have seen from a dog. I never knew they could sense as many things as they do.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
It's funny, I experienced something similar last night. I have been sick for almost a week, and last night I had a blinding sinus headache. I was laying in bed groaning and clutching my forehead, and Flora jumped on my bed, snuggled up beside me, and licked my arm. She didn't ask for anything more, just slept right next to me and kept me warm. It was unusual, because she normally doesn't sleep right next to me, she gets too hot.

I hope whatever bad news you and your wife had to endure this weekend turns out okay. It's amazing what our dogs can sense.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,645 Posts
I'm so sorry you were received bad news over the weekend.

Dogs are amazing creatures, they are extremely aware of our emotions and needs. They will respond in various ways when they sense something is off such as your Phoebe did by getting sick to Flora providing comfort to her mom.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both :) We will be fine. We just need time to heal :)

We both said to eachother how amazed we were with Phoebe. We have never seen anything like it before. Almost like something you would see in a movie.

I will never forget that for as long as I live.

I didnt think it was possible to love Phoebe any more but she keeps surprising me :)

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I'm sorry about your bad news. I hope everything is ok.

Dogs are definitely very smart and can sense when something is wrong. I've always noticed that when I'm upset, my dogs will stick by my side.

Poor Phoebe. It seems like she took it hard as well. But it seems like she was doing what she could to make you feel better!

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just cant believe she could sense us being upset and how upset it made her.

Amazing. Simply amazing

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think goldens really can read our emotions so well. I know Beamer lately has been taking a lot more naps for me while I study and leaving me in peace. He is so wonderful!!

I hope everything is alright with you all and if you need anything, let us know.

Reactions: ferreira

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It sounds like Phoebe is a natural therapy dog - she's not only a great listener but she shows empathy and wants so little in return. I hope that you can find some joy in this holiday season despite everything.

·
My 1st Golden
52 Posts
Goldens are just incredible aren't they!! Your Phoebe obviously loves you very much and is just letting you know she is 'feeling' your pain too.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Every dog I've ever had was tuned in to my emotions... My childhood dog knew I was scared the night before leaving for college and wouldn't leave my side. My spaniel used to sit leaning against my right side before I had hip replacement surgery. Yesterday she napped leaning up against my sore back. Tucker will come over and plop his big head in my lap when I'm not feeling well.

I'm sure their ability to do this has a lot to do with survival. Clearly early humans liked the wolf puppies who had empathy for humans!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Last week when my husband was out of town I was having some difficulties and at the time she was not cooperating with me at all. I just sat down and started crying, she came running over, licked my tears off my cheeks and laid at my feet. She was an angel the rest of the week! :) I realized we do have a bond even though sometimes I swear she is out to do everything I tell her not to LOL

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I had a cat who was like this. One night hubby and I had a big fight and we both slammed out the door, him in his truck and me walking. I was the first one back and went into the spare room where I had clothes folded on dressers, well, it looked like a tornado went through that room. Clothes all over the place. Hubby came home and I told him to look in the back room. Our tabby cat had a fit, I don't know how he did it but we never fought like that again in front of him.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Dogs are amazing. Sending you and your wife strength and happier days ahead.

Reactions: ferreira
1 - 15 of 15 Posts