Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heya all,

I have three Goldens, one 12-year-old guy and two 3-year-old trouble making brothers. We recently moved to a lakefront with a fenced in yard and as we move into winter I am having some concerns with the young 3-year-old siblings being near ice.

They are fine in the fenced-in yard and go swimming off the dock in the spring/summer and we have been working on only letting them jump in the water on command. However, you know how young very hyper brothers can be they sometimes feed off each others energy and go rouge. They will not run off far but chase after squirrels or to sniff new trails they find.

Anyways, any ideas or thoughts to try and keep them off the ice to avoid them falling in if they get out of the yard or to teach them proximity of the new lot? I have never used any shock or parameter wireless fence setups but open to options. I would like to have them learn to "respect" the access to the lake and roam the yard but I understand the challenge with this bread and their love to "party". Cleaning off 12 paws and washing three dogs daily is not on my favorite thing to-do list.

Gunner - Bandit - Smokey - Left to Right by the lake

IMG-1009.jpg

Jeff M

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use invisible fence, the wire kind, not the wireless. We also live on a lake. Our wire loop goes out into the lake about 20 feet out and about 50 feet from side to side. The dogs can swim out that far and also go on the dock and boat without problems. They know the line is out there somewhere so the don't go out on the ice either. We have been doing this for about 10 years. We just make sure we have no connectors in the lake, just on the land. My sister-in-law also uses this at her house. This works very well for us. They sit on the shore in winter and cry and bark at the ice fishermen but they don't go out to visit them. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We use invisible fence, the wire kind, not the wireless. We also live on a lake. Our wire loop goes out into the lake about 20 feet out and about 50 feet from side to side. The dogs can swim out that far and also go on the dock and boat without problems. They know the line is out there somewhere so the don't go out on the ice either. We have been doing this for about 10 years. We just make sure we have no connectors in the lake, just on the land. My sister-in-law also uses this at her house. This works very well for us. They sit on the shore in winter and cry and bark at the ice fishermen but they don't go out to visit them. Good luck!
I replied to your post but it ended up at the end of your message. I hope you can read it.
Saw it and thanks for the info. I got a few questions when you have time.

So you guys ran the wires under your shoreline and out into the water and how did you sink them? I have a seawall and floating dock, about 3 feet deep at the seawall and 8 feet at the end of the 32-foot floating pier and thought about trying to tackle this. What unit are you guys using also?

Thanks in advance....
Jeff M

·
Registered
52 Posts
Saw it and thanks for the info. I got a few questions when you have time.

So you guys ran the wires under your shoreline and out into the water and how did you sink them? I have a seawall and floating dock, about 3 feet deep at the seawall and 8 feet at the end of the 32-foot floating pier and thought about trying to tackle this. What unit are you guys using also?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff M
The copper wire has a plastic coating and is heavy enough to sink in our lake. The wire may work at 8 feet if you turn up the gain. The wire goes out into the lake at one side of the property and comes back out of the lake at the other side. Remember you must make a continuous loop to make it work. This is hard to explain in words. We have a Pet-Safe system. It comes with 500 feet of wire, some connectors, a collar, and a control box. You can also order extra collars, wire, and connectors. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,241 Posts
One way to keep them off the ice is to eliminate it along your waterfront. This will only work if your lot is fenced down to the water on each side. It will also depend on how you feel about accessing the ice off of your seawall. You can purchase something called an "Ice Eater" (they are not cheap) which agitates the water around your seawall creating open water. This may also weaken the ice around where your neighbors access the lake which could create other problems. Of course, they may decide it would be fun to jump into open frigid water... In any event it is an option, and you are looking for options.

What a sweet pack of dogs!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One way to keep them off the ice is to eliminate it along your waterfront. This will only work if your lot is fenced down to the water on each side. It will also depend on how you feel about accessing the ice off of your seawall. You can purchase something called an "Ice Eater" (they are not cheap) which agitates the water around your seawall creating open water. This may also weaken the ice around where your neighbors access the lake which could create other problems. Of course, they may decide it would be fun to jump into open frigid water... In any event it is an option, and you are looking for options.

What a sweet pack of dogs!
Good call, we have those in our marina on the lake. I got a feeling they would still end up in the water, they love the cold.

The fenced-in yard is off the lake but would like to have more space for them to play or roam the acre lot. Been trying to leash train them to come to sit by a lakeside fire with me or watch me fish on the dock but the water entices them and squirrels get them all wound up.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The copper wire has a plastic coating and is heavy enough to sink in our lake. The wire may work at 8 feet if you turn up the gain. The wire goes out into the lake at one side of the property and comes back out of the lake at the other side. Remember you must make a continuous loop to make it work. This is hard to explain in words. We have a Pet-Safe system. It comes with 500 feet of wire, some connectors, a collar, and a control box. You can also order extra collars, wire, and connectors. Good luck.

Thanks for the followup. I will read more into the system, never used one before.

Jeff M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts