Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
The bigger Stuart gets the bigger the sticks he brings home. His tail just fan out in the last two weeks. Stuart meet his first frog, it jump and all four of Stuart's feet left ground trying to get away from it. This weekend we are going camping so he will get to go swimming for the very first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Stuart first camping trip. The Orvis Folding travel crate work out great for him. He slept overnight in a tent that attaches to our Little Mini camper. Stuart got to go swimming for the first time in the late. He really enjoy the new adventure, might have a camper dog now. The national parks here require puppies to be on a 6 foot leash at all times, I did use a 10 foot runner when outside the tent. Poor guy he runs off least at home in our yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Barkley is racing towards 7 months - yikes! He's up to 55lbs, and not much shorter/lighter than our senior boy. I caught them in a sweet moment with their paws touching while they napped yesterday. Do you like B's green highlights? That's chalk from the kids drawing on the concrete patio in the back yard - let's hope a bath will get it out. If not, it's pretty "spring-like" :grin2:

How is everyone treating for ticks in their area? We have a collar on B (I got it from Amazon, not Sernesto (sp) but I can look it up). After our hike last week, we did see a couple of ticks crawling on the top of his fur...not sure if the collar was repelling them, or if they hadn't gotten attached yet. Yuck! Daily tick checks are in our immediate future...

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stuart first camping trip. The Orvis Folding travel crate work out great for him. He slept overnight in a tent that attaches to our Little Mini camper. Stuart got to go swimming for the first time in the late. He really enjoy the new adventure, might have a camper dog now. The national parks here require puppies to be on a 6 foot leash at all times, I did use a 10 foot runner when outside the tent. Poor guy he runs off least at home in our yard.
How did the swimming go? We took B hiking to a nice park and B splashed around and tried a little swimming, but he preferred to have his paws touch the bottom and splash like crazy in the water. Did Stuart swim? I'm hoping B will take to swimming, but I think we need to bring our senior boy to show him how to actually swim!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had to convince him to get into the water. He did not like the mud bottom at the first location so we found a sandy bottom. He did swim, I will be taking him into the water more behind my house since I live on a River.

Today Stuart ate his first snake, well just a little bit (10% of it). We were out for our afternoon walk, there was a dead snake that have been run over. It was mostly skin left over. Stuart like a vacuum cleaner suck that right up. I grab hold of him and remove about 90% of the dead snake out of his mouth, not sure if I got it all.

No side effects, stills likes to rough play with me. I am guessing he will have a running poop in the morning. He likes to samples things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your kids are gorgeous! I am using Only Natural tick control. You buy a kit with shampoo, spray, collar, and yeast/garlic bites. I also bought the "tick tag" guaranteed to stop all biting insects. It's just a stainless tag which takes 3 weeks to align itself with your dog. So far so good. I also spread a 1 ft. barrier of natural cedar mulch around fence at edge of woods and sprayed all my gardens & lawns with Cedarcide. Something is working because before I did all this he'd come in with at least 1 deer tick daily, but no more now. As my holistic vet says, they all work to some extent so use everything & hope for the best. All that I am using is non-toxic. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Stuart is a good Jeep dog. He is able to get in by himself now. This is from the Jeep National Topless day on the Blueridge parkway in NC. For tick and bug control in my yard I have two free range roosters on patrol eating the bugs. One of the roosters follows me and Stuart on our walks. We also encourage Possums to hang around, they love ticks.

I only resort to spraying the yard as a last resorts. I do not use spray during turtle hatching time in September. I have a bunch of turtles that come back each year to lay eggs in my yard. My house is 40 feet off the Saluda River.

I also use Advantix II on Stuart.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good morning. All the October pups are getting so big. I can’t believe 7 months have gone by so quickly! Maggie weighed 42 lbs yesterday. I keep having to adjust her food slightly to get that sweet spot. It seems she fluctuates pretty quickly with just small changes.
We went downtown on Sunday when there were 18,000 cruise ship passengers in. She is amazing greeting people and is doing so much better with the jumping. She is still a bit bad with us at home.
Though she isn’t really around small children, she loves them! They are her favorites off the ships. She is so gently and sweet with them and I love seeing their faces light up when they are petting her.
She is my goofy, lovable, sweet little girl and I could not love her any more 

Jules

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi all, your pups are gorgeous. Rooney was born October 20

Funny enough one of his playmates at the dog park was born on the exact say day, no relation at all, but there's over 10 pounds difference in them! Sometimes I worry he's on the lighter side. He's 58 pounds as of a few days ago, has no trouble eating his food (PPP Large Breed Puppy, with carrots, eggs, and fish as snacks here and there) and stays pretty active. I'm happy with the way he looks, but some people make comments that he looks too "slim" so that makes me question as it's hard not to compare your dog with others sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all, your pups are gorgeous. Rooney was born October 20

Funny enough one of his playmates at the dog park was born on the exact say day, no relation at all, but there's over 10 pounds difference in them! Sometimes I worry he's on the lighter side. He's 58 pounds as of a few days ago, has no trouble eating his food (PPP Large Breed Puppy, with carrots, eggs, and fish as snacks here and there) and stays pretty active. I'm happy with the way he looks, but some people make comments that he looks too "slim" so that makes me question as it's hard not to compare your dog with others sometimes.
Rooney is adorable!! He looks perfect to me: slim is way better than overweight, especially now while joints/bones are still growing/developing. Welcome to the group :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome Rooney. He looks wonderful ? Maggie will be 8 months on the 19th and she weighs 42 lbs. They are all so different.
Jules

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maggie is 8 months today! In some ways she is so mature it is hard to remember she is still just a baby ? She is just the best dog with such a calm and sweet personality. We love her so much and are so lucky she is part of our family.
Jules

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Osteochondrosis diagnosis and orthopedic surgery

Well Chappie was diagnosed with osteochondrosis. a bone disease from growing too fast!! ??? he had to have orthopedic surgery on his shoulder about two months ago. The doctor says he's healing well but he is still limping a little which is to be expected. it could take another month or two for him to totally heal his Dr said. He was released for swimming and moderate activity at his follow-up. I was careful with is food and he always seemed too skinny to me but he did grow super fast. We always commented that he seemed like he was only a puppy for 2 maybe 3 weeks, then he was a full grown Golden! Seems the only thing still growing now is his feathers. You can almost see they are longer every day!. At 8 months are they expected to grow taller still? Or just add some adult weight? Chappie is a whopping 65 lbs and has been this same weight for the last 2 months, since his surgery actually. So even at 6 months he was 65 lbs!!! He stands
26" at the withers. He is a big boy, we always knew he would be by the size of his feet. We love our big goofy boy!! In the pic you can see he is too big to fit in the lazyboy chair. And his healing shoulder is shown (as well as the cute collar and leash set we got him that we love).
Osteochondrosis can occur even up to 1 yr old so be aware if your baby suddenly starts limping!

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Poor Chappie! I hope he continues to heal and will make a full recovery. He is such a beautiful dog.

Jules

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh my gosh, poor Chappie! I hope his surgery recovery has gone well! We lost our first golden to osteosarcoma, so just seeing the "osteo..." made my heart skip a beat. How is he doing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Barkley is just over 8 months (he was 8 months on June 23) and weighed in at 59lbs at the vet last week. I had noticed his urine stream seemed thinner than it was previously, so I brought him in to be checked out. The vet (who we found out on Weds was selling his practice (very suddenly) and would be closed after Friday!!!) said that I was supposed to clip the hair around his sheath, and that by leaving it long, it allowed bacteria to end up in his bladder, so Barkley had a bladder infection that needed to be treated.

Unfortunately, the vet nicked Barkley with the clippers, and we didn't know it until the following morning, but by then, Barkley had licked himself a lovely hotspot on his sheath. The poor boy was so uncomfortable! Luckily we we able to get the blowup donut collar that day (thanks, Amazon Prime!), and it's the perfect size to keep him from making all of this worse. I called the vet to let them know what happened and the response was "oh well". I brought Barkley to a new vet, who he initially just barked at, but 2 Milkbones later, she's his best friend, and she prescribed some painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Day 4 of the donut, and his sheath is finally much less pink/warm, and the nick is healing nicely. Maybe by July 4th we'll be able to ditch the collar.

Gotta say; I was so surprised he had a bladder infection!! We take him out every hour or two during the day, although he is sleeping from 9:30 - 5:30am most nights, I wonder if that's too long to go without a potty break? It was crazy hot the previous week, and I'm worried he didn't drink enough - does anyone monitor their dog's water drinking? We always have a full bowl out for the boys (it's one of the automatic waterers - the stream is love/hate for me; the dogs love it, but B loves to play with it, so I clean up a lot of water and wet paws), so I'm not entirely sure how to monitor water intake. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maggie is 8 months today! In some ways she is so mature it is hard to remember she is still just a baby ? She is just the best dog with such a calm and sweet personality. We love her so much and are so lucky she is part of our family.
Jules
Jules, Maggie is just beautiful! We are so shocked at how "grown up" Barkley seems at just 8 months; where did our fluffy fuzzballs go?!? :grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Franklin is a week away from 9 months and just got back from his first road trip, nearly three weeks away from home and about 1200 miles each way from TN to Maine. He hiked through Acadia National Park, swam in the ocean, and had TONS of fun. I was so nervous about such a long trip with a puppy, but he did so well that I'm already looking for our next big adventure!!

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Barkley is just over 8 months (he was 8 months on June 23) and weighed in at 59lbs at the vet last week. I had noticed his urine stream seemed thinner than it was previously, so I brought him in to be checked out. The vet (who we found out on Weds was selling his practice (very suddenly) and would be closed after Friday!!!) said that I was supposed to clip the hair around his sheath, and that by leaving it long, it allowed bacteria to end up in his bladder, so Barkley had a bladder infection that needed to be treated.

Unfortunately, the vet nicked Barkley with the clippers, and we didn't know it until the following morning, but by then, Barkley had licked himself a lovely hotspot on his sheath. The poor boy was so uncomfortable! Luckily we we able to get the blowup donut collar that day (thanks, Amazon Prime!), and it's the perfect size to keep him from making all of this worse. I called the vet to let them know what happened and the response was "oh well". I brought Barkley to a new vet, who he initially just barked at, but 2 Milkbones later, she's his best friend, and she prescribed some painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Day 4 of the donut, and his sheath is finally much less pink/warm, and the nick is healing nicely. Maybe by July 4th we'll be able to ditch the collar.

Gotta say; I was so surprised he had a bladder infection!! We take him out every hour or two during the day, although he is sleeping from 9:30 - 5:30am most nights, I wonder if that's too long to go without a potty break? It was crazy hot the previous week, and I'm worried he didn't drink enough - does anyone monitor their dog's water drinking? We always have a full bowl out for the boys (it's one of the automatic waterers - the stream is love/hate for me; the dogs love it, but B loves to play with it, so I clean up a lot of water and wet paws), so I'm not entirely sure how to monitor water intake. Any suggestions?
I hope Barkley is feeling better!!

81 - 100 of 132 Posts