Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Melanthe (Mel), born 12 May.

I can’t get pics to turn no matter how I take them, my apologies!

She’s very calm and loves to learn. We’ve attended 2 classes of puppy kindergarten and she’s signed up for Basic then Advanced.

So far, since week 9, she asks every time to go potty by ringing her bells by the backdoor. I’m home with her all day so I don’t take my eyes off her if she isn’t in her crate! But I think she gets it.

She definitely knows her name, okay, let’s go, sit, look at me, belly (roll onto your back) down, get a drink, outside, potty & bathroom. Her stays are only good for about 20 seconds but that’s good for now!

Still shaping the actions stand, go to your mat, wait, drop it.

We’re learning loose leash walking and when I stop, if we’re outside, she stops and sits - inside she drops straight into a down. And always learning impulse control. Mel sits and waits at every threshold, gate, doorway, to eat, greet people, etc. until she is told okay, let’s go or come.
We don’t get anywhere very quickly...lots of stops, backing up and such but we will. She’s my third Golden (only pup right now, though) so I know what the end state looks like!!

Also working on her checking in with me and volunteering eye contact. At first she would just sit by me and look everywhere but at me. Now she understands she has tomsit, down, etc, then look at me, then I tell her she can have toy, treat, etc and then she can have it. It’s a learning process for both of us! I keep telling myself, “End state, end state!”

She picks up every single thing and carries it or tries to eat it. I had no idea my yard was so full of twigs, tiny stems and bark. And oooohhhhh does she love to rip grass out by the roots. I give her celery to satisfy that urge - not sure if I’m encouraging it or not but it does save my lawn!

Well, nap time is over so my break is as well! It’s all about Mel these days! And I love everything about her!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mel update~

She’s growing up fast!

Yesterday she had her last round of puppy shots and weighed in at 33.2lbs, 18” at shoulder, still lean and growing slowly!
Our vet (used to breed Goldens “back in the day”) says she’ll be 55-60lbs - before I told him her mom weighs 60, dad 70. Yay!

She’s starting to get tail wispiness and definitely waves down her back. Can’t wait for the big girl fur! I’d say 80% of people who see her ask if she’s part Irish setter...nope, just a red headed Golden. She does match the maple floors in the house, though.

Zero potty accidents since 9 weeks, goes to bed @ 2100 and wakes up 0615-0630. Down to a 3 hr morning nap and shorter afternoon nap of 1.5 hours. Walks well on a leash - still a work in progress- if we walk near a busier road she gets over-excited/nervous so we’re slowly working on her confidence there. Dang school bus air brakes scared her the first time it stopped in front of our house... still recovering. Heck, a bus full of kids scares me, too!?

She graduated from puppy kindergarten and starts the next 7 week class “Basic Manners” tonight.

She is an amazingly smart and eager-to-learn puppy. I am very fortunate that I am retired and stay home with her all day so she is always learning something.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scout lost about 5 teeth this week! Everyone else losing teeth??
Oh yeah! Mel lost molars, then canines. The last baby canine hung on while the adult came in so she had 2 teeth together for about a week! That was 2 weeks ago and now she has a mouth full of big girl teeth! And the alligator/land shark behavior has finally diminished to almost nothing! FINALLY!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Beautiful. My Tessa loved that sleeping position too, and had a couple little hedges like the one in pic.
Would you use your breeder again? Who was it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Scout

Are you asking me (dark red pup) or Scout’s (lighter boy) person?
Mel is a cutie, but I was asking craigtoo about Scout, who was born one day after my Tessa.
Scout is adorable, I was admiring him and wondering about his health, temperament, pedigree, breeder.

Thanks.
Ps all golden puppies are cute, it makes it hard to be objective and think of that bundle of fluff with teeth and the zoomies :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts