Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Captain JONAthan Toews
947 Posts
Gosh, sounds like we're all going through the same thing.

Colby does excellent at night. We put him in his crate anywhere from 10-11 and he sleeps until 7-7:30. So we're pretty happy about this.

Potty training is going well. No poops in the house, only 1 accident per day that we catch, rush him outside, and he finishes.

The main problem I'm having is the same one it seems you all are having. He wants to chew everything in the yard. And when he gets something, it's like he's so proud he wants to strut his stuff and run off with it. I really have to watch him because I'm scared he'll eat something he shouldn't. He's like a wild man outside.
I'm actually an april puppy and still dont have him but to avoid the whole yard thing I was thinking of putting a large playpen outside and when its potty time we will place him in there so he really doesnt have any where else to go and chew things and when he is done we will bring him back or let him play loose in the yard as a reward...Does that sound like a good idea or no? because I havent really heard anyone doing this so is it not right to put him in a playpen to use the bathroom? I dont know....

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I'm actually an april puppy and still dont have him but to avoid the whole yard thing I was thinking of putting a large playpen outside and when its potty time we will place him in there so he really doesnt have any where else to go and chew things and when he is done we will bring him back or let him play loose in the yard as a reward...Does that sound like a good idea or no? because I havent really heard anyone doing this so is it not right to put him in a playpen to use the bathroom? I dont know....
If Chester has to go, he will do his business before even trying to do anything else. If I place him down outside and he runs right for the sticks, I know he doesn't have to go and I'll just bring him back inside. You could also try bringing him out on a leash so he can't go tear up the yard before doing his business.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How's everyone doing with their puppies? Well, Colby turned 9 weeks old today. I think he's doing great. No accidents, sleeps all through the night, and we've even taught him to sit, which he caught on to pretty quickly. He has even learned to sit before I give him his food. Now we're working on the "down" command. Definitely have to have treats for this one right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone! Here's the info about our little Abby...
Birthdate: March 3, 2010
Name/Sex: Abby/Female
Last weight: May 17 she was 12 pounds (just under 11 weeks)
Where we live: Ontario, Canada

Here are a few pics of her. She is a doll at night! We put her in her crate at around 10pm and she's up around 6am (thank heavens!). Potty training is going pretty good. She prefers to do her business in our groundcover (pro: the kids don't step in it, con: I can't always find it!!) She's also pretty mouthy, and enjoys nibbling on my kids' clothes. Aside from typical puppy stuff, she is a great puppy, mastering the sit after about a week at home, and walks fairly well on her leash. Training classes start June 1!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Millie went to the vet today for her third set of puppy shots. She gained 8 pounds in three weeks. She now weighs 19 pounds. The vet said she looks good is gaining weight perfectly not to much not to little. He guessed that she will be over 80pounds when full grown. As soon as I can find my camera I will post so new pictures of Millie

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
It sounds like Millie is gonna be a big girl! 8 pounds in 3 weeks - wow. It's crazy how fast they grow. After just 1 week Chester has already gained about 2.5 pounds.

I look forward to new pictures of Millie! :)

·
Mommy to Hudson :)
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi everyone!!!

So sorry I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I was away on business for a few days, and Hudson has been keeping me super busy, but I'm definitely having Retriever Forum withdrawls...lol.

The last couple weeks with Hudson have been pretty good. He is GREAT in his crate and doesn't give me any problems with whining or barking. Potty training is still in progress but getting better each day. I do have one BIG problem though and I really don't know how to handle it. We have a cat ("Kitty") and she is 5 years old. She has been an indoor cat and very friendly but also very timid when it comes to new people or animals in the house. It took a few days until she ventured out from her hiding spot, and now everytime she comes into the same room as Hudson she will jump on a chair to check him out. The problem is that Hudson will not stop barking at her and he scares her away. She has tried to swat at him many times, but it is a non stop bark until she leaves. He wont stop barking around her, and I don't know how to control it. I have tried to ignore it....tried to hold his snout and say no bark....tried to make our stop it sound...he won't listen. I really think that he thinks its a game. Any help would be hugely appreciated!!
(PS...I'm going to post some updated pics on another thread)

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2nd vet visit

Hi all :)

Just wanted to update that Hudson had his 2nd vaccinations yesterday and he weighed in at 23 lbs!!! I can't believe what a big boy he is. He will be 12 weeks old tomorrow. The vet said he is perfectly healthy, but the one thing she mentioned was that his coat is a bit dry. She suggested that it could be his food. Im in the midst of trying to find a large breed puppy formula for him. I know food is a touchy subject on here. But, any suggestions? Who loves the food their puppies are on right now??

I've attached an updated pic of Hudson's favorite sleeping position and spot (there is a cold air vent under that portion of the couch) :)

Attachments

·
Mommy of Luna
22 Posts
Hello everyone. =3

We (Luna and I) are now here in South Carolina at our new home. Did great on the car ride down and is adjusting quite nicely, though feels a little lost without big brother around (a.k.a Ranger). Everyone here on base loves her, including the neighbor kids.

Sorry to keep this so brief, but I unfortunately must be getting off here and going to bed (It's 11:30 EST here). I'll finish my post tomorrow and let everyone know more on how Luna is doing.

·
Mommy of Luna
22 Posts
Wow, so quiet around here lately ... So, how is everyone doing lately?

Things have been good so far with us being at the new house. Luna's got the concept of potty training just about down. She's learned if she goes to the back door and sits, it lets me know that she needs out and only a couple accidents. Both my fault for leaving her out to wonder when I stepped out of the room for a moment.

So far she's gotten: Sit, Down, In (For coming inside as well as to go in her kennel), Stay (At a very short distance, like a foot away) and just about has walking on leash down ... aside from grabbing it and wanting to take herself for a walk and pick up every leaf along the way. I keep joking with my father that by the time our Petsmart here in Beaufort is complete come fall, she'll skip the puppy class and go to more to the more advanced class. lol

Also, I took her down to the beach at Hunting Island over the weekend after a rude early morning infestation of fire ants. Wasn't sure at first about the waves, but is slowly starting to warm up to them. Found out she likes playing in the tide pool. Still hasn't gotten the concept that when I let go that she's suppost to keep paddling, but I'm sure she'll catch on soon enough.

I got some new pictures of Luna recently at 10 week old. Here's the link to her album with her first pics up to her current one's - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30871145&id=1665544922#!/photo.php?pid=30790666&id=1665544922&fbid=1273991704313

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just thought I would see how everyone is doing with training their pups? What commands do they know at this point. I think I need to start training a little more. Hudson knows sit and down. I've been trying the stay command the last few days, and thats a tough one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Colby's been doing pretty good with his training, at least I think. He knows sit, down, paw, high five, come, and drop. We just started working with "stay" today, and he's doing pretty good with a short distance. He does excellent with the "come" command in the house, but we're working with it outside. He's a little more distracted outside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Birthday? March 22, 2010
2. Name and Sex? Chilton, Male
3. Last weigh in/age at the vets? 25 lbs @ 14 weeks
4. Where we live? Chicago
5. Post a recent picture.. Taken 6/25 @ 13 wks

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Birthday? March 22nd, 2010
2. Name and Sex? Sadie, Female
3. Last weigh in/age at the vets? 13 lbs., 8 weeks, 1 day
4. Where we live? Madison, WI (area)
5. Friends tell me, when they saw Sadie sitting this way, that all the golden retrievers they've seen seem to like bending one paw or the other, or both, underneath... Our first golden, Lexi, did it... and it seems Sadie does too!

Same DOB as Chilton! Is Sadie an Argo puppy?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love seeing and hearing about our Dakota's contemporaries. This little Golden is the best pet we've ever had. She loves everyone, and everyone seems to love her. At 4 months, she is 31 pounds, and I would love to know if this is typical. Her mother was only 48 pounds, but I get the feeling that this little gal might be bigger.

·
Brady's Mama
47 Posts
What a neat thread! Great idea!

1. Birthday? March 15, 2010
2. Name and Sex? Brady, Male
3. Last weigh in/age at the vets? 20 lbs @ 16 weeks
4. Where we live? Blacksburg, VA
5. Post a recent picture....#1 is of him at 7 wks the week he came home, #2 is him at 10 wks, #3 is 10 wks and #4 is at 15wks (I put these two up for comparison because I love this face and that he still does it...it's his "you're a moron" face hahaha)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts