Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a female is was born on 6/10 and already weighs 32 pounds!
Hello, I've only recently joined this forum so didn't post originally, but my Brad was born 15 June and this week weighs 33 lbs (15.2kg). I think he is going to be a big boy as his paws are huge!
I saw the parents and they seemed normal size, but everyone is surprised when I say Brad is only 4 months, as he looks quite doggy in the face already. I saw him the day he was born and visited every week until we took him at 8 weeks, as the breeder lives in my town, so I know he really is only 4 months.
Does anyone else have a boy who weighs around the same?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. I'm new here. My puppy was born 6/25 and also weighs 32lbs. She's a big girl and growing fast. Any one else seeding Fromm Large Puppy?

Hopefully this link works so you can all see pix

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1282060845151465.1073741836.100000426847723&type=3
I can't see the pics in your link, sorry! I feed my little girl Fromm's Large Breed Puppy also. She just turned 20 weeks yesterday and weighs 37 pounds. Her adult coat is coming in...all wavy on her back! She is also losing a TON of teeth! They are so much fun, aren't they? :grin2:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Hi everyone. Thought I would stop by and say hello. Sadie is doing well. She's almost 6 months now and getting close to 40 lbs. We're doing better with giving her some freedom in the kitchen area. She is pretty nervous at puppy class and won't take treats there, but she still loves be near other dogs (just very submissive). We're getting our loose-leash walk down fairly well, but it still requires near constant cues from me. We can make it around the block now which is nice. How's everyone else doing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sadie is such a big girl now! But the eyes are the same. So sweet!
Rayder is 6 months as of 2 days ago and weighs about 42pounds.
He has just started being given free run of the kitchen and family room when we are around, but he is still crated when we are not. Loose leash walking is going pretty well, but he is obsessed with eating grass. Doesn't matter if it's fresh or old clippings, he will lunge for them. Even better is if he can rip up fresh grass by the roots and eat it, dirt and all. It's a work in progress, but his trainer says he is a long way from being the sort of dog who can hang out in a yard without constant supervision.

·
Luna's mom
93 Posts
Food question and overfed...

Hi All!
Luna is doing great! I'll post a pic soon. But wanted to check in about what food you're all feeding your pups. Luna is eating Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy. She is getting fixed next week, at which time I'll transition her to the Adult food (same brand, large breed), per the breeder/vet instructions (she's a very experienced and knowledgeable breeder/vet). I go to Bentley's Pet Stuff pet store and talked with a very knowledgeable store owner. She was a trainer for service dogs for veterans. What a great thing. But she also took a marketing course so she could wade thru the marketing garbage to get to the real info about pet foods. The thing is, she was a total believer in food rotation, talking about having to rotate thru different protein sources in order to "complete the amino acid profile" to offer truly complete nutrition. I asked the breeder we got Luna from, who is also a veterinarian (and we go to her for care), and she said that's all very extravagant marketing and that good dog food (like Nutro) have complete nutrition, and rotation isn't necessary, and they don't taste it anyway since they eat their food so quickly. I trust her and know she knows what she's talking about. But I'm still curious about dog foods and I like the limited ingredient foods.
Also, a major idiot move on my part: I was overfeeding her for about a month, when she was about 3-4 months old. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an overfed puppy having big joint problems, or even thyroid issues (?), as they got older. It's hard to know with Goldens who are already at risk for joint problems, if an overweight puppy gets joint problems later in life, how much did the excess fat on her body for a couple of months in puppyhood contribute to the joint problem. It was SUCH a stupid thing I did. It's a long story, but it's related to a pretty major brain fog that has affected other areas of my life also. I just didn't read the breeder's clear instructions properly and didn't look at them when I needed to in order to change the amount of food I was giving her. So in all, she's had weight loss and is now normal again, after a couple of months losing fat. I am really beating myself up, as I should. :frown2:
I hope everyone else is doing well!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hi Karrielou - Luna looks great! I wouldn't worry too much about the overfeeding/weight issue. A short period of time should have a long-lasting impact. Joint issue from being overweight occur as a chronic effect of stress on the joints over years (particularly in older dogs). The thyroid issues I think are also less likely to be an issue. If she was overweight for 5% of her life, I think the other 95% will have a much bigger impact. We fed our first golden Nutro her entire life and were happy with it. We're currently feeding Taste of the Wild at the breeder's recommendation. It has a lot of fancy stuff that sounds good, but frankly there's not much science to say that it is superior to Nutro. There is a good article linked somewhere in here with how to calculate the best amount of food - I'll see if I can find it. It is helpful for me to go back every once in a while and see. With most foods, you're probably good if you're under 3 cups/day, but you always need to monitor weight and adjust for your dog's activity level.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Sadie is such a big girl now! But the eyes are the same. So sweet!
Rayder is 6 months as of 2 days ago and weighs about 42pounds.
I was overfeeding her for about a month, when she was about 3-4 months old.
So actually, that excellent article/calculator/post I was talking about was from SIANDVM! Here it is copied and pasted (hope you don't mind). This is how I ended up with the "just under 3 cups/day" calculation for Sadie with the 370kcal/cup Taste of the Wild food we're using. She's going in for her spaying next week, so we'll get another accurate weight on her and see what the vet's opinion is about her growth and level of leanness.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
FROM SIANDVM:
"Every food has a different caloric content, so the amount you feed depends on that, in addition to her metabolic requirements. Growing puppies have a higher metabolic rate than adults. Puppies who run all day have a higher metabolic rate than puppies who don't.

I never use the amounts on the bag and I agree with the others that the amount you are feeding does sound low (but if the food is super high calorie, it may be close). If you are concerned, though, You can calculate a good starting point for caloric requirements. Take her weight in kg (which is the weight in pounds divided by 2.2) to the 3/4 power (you need a calculator which can do x to the y power and use the weight as x and .75 as y) times 70. That gives you the RER (resting energy requirement). Then, for a puppy 0-4 months, multiply that by 3 for your daily caloric requirement. For a puppy 4 months to a year, multiply by 2. The bag of food should say how many calories per cup (make sure it is the per cup, not per kg of food, that would be a big, important difference). If it doesn't say on the bag, you can find it online. Then, most importantly, see how your puppy looks when feeding that amount. If your puppy is getting a 5/9 body condition score, she is probably fine, although it does look as if her growth has slowed earlier than I would have liked. Her ribs should be easy to feel without going digging, and you should not see them. When viewed from above, she should have a waist. Remember to adjust as she grows.

For example, she is about 7kg now (you said both 15 and 16 pounds, and 7kg splits the difference). Multiplying 7 to the 3/4 power gives you 4.3. Multiply that by 70 for a RER of 301. Multiply that by 3 for a pup 0-4 months and you get a daily caloric requirement of 903 calories. Purina Pro Plan Focus chicken and rice (I think that's what you are feeding) has 417kcal (which is what we all consider calories) per cup. So she would need 903/417=2.2 cups a day, which is right around what everyone was saying.

Here is a link to The Ohio State University's veterinary nutrition area of their website. It has some great info, including the calculations I just gave you, as well as the factor by which to multiply for various situations (neutered adult, intact adult, etc).

https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/ou...rie-calculator

I hope I haven't just confused you. Please feel free to ask for clarification (or to ignore in favor of the general advice to feed 2-2.5 cups per day)"
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

·
Luna's mom
93 Posts
Holycow, thanks so much smp! I will do the calculations and see what her food intake should be. It's probably about what we're giving her now. We couldn't feel her ribs very well so she was too chunky. :( ugh. But I so appreciate your support and information! Thank you for taking time to find that info! I'll read closer when I have a minute. Poor girl is getting spayed today! And I think she's fine now weight wise, she still has just a touch too much fat on those ribs still but we'll work on that with exercise/play. The vet recommends switching to adult food now after getting fixed since she knows her dogs and they tend to put on weight afterwards. They don't need those puppy food calories. Though I'm certain others have an opposing viewpoint on that, I'll be taking her advice. The vet is also the breeder, she knows her stuff, esp about her own line of dogs, and we trust her. It'll be a process over time because I don't want to over exercise her either, hurting joints as she grows. But I'm glad to hear your moderate viewpoint about the damage done by being overweight for a bit of time, that it's probably minimal over her lifespan. Helps me feel not so horrible!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't seen many posts on this thread for quite some time. How are all of your pups doing now that they are about 9-10 months old? Annie is 9-1/2 months old and weighs 65 pounds, which I think is a bit much. She seems kind of "wide" when looking at her from above and I cannot easily feel her ribs. She was spayed at 6 months. I was feeding her according to the measurements on the bag. She has been on Fromm Large Breed food. I talked to the vet about this last month and he had us change her from the puppy formula to the adult formula and then we have to see how she does after a little while. She is a really good girl and the only issue we seem to have with her is that she doesn't like to get in to the car of get out of the car. She has always been like this and we can't figure out why. There have been no traumatic experiences and we take her to fun places many times....so it's not like she thinks she is going to the vet! Any suggestions would be helpful!

201 - 212 of 212 Posts