Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Luna's mom
93 Posts
Housetraining going very poorly

Oh dear, my rythym is all off and I'm not catching her in time. We've had so many accidents in just the last 2 days we've had her. Oye. Any good youtube videos on how to communicate to puppy where *not* to go? So hard to now have to break bad habits. We're using natures miracle to clean up. She doesn't seem particularly interested in the pee spots so I think that cleaner works.

Wow, let me just add that I did a search on here for housetraining and housebreaking and unfortunately I'm in good company. Ugh. :/ I just need to know how to communicate with her.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh dear, my rythym is all off and I'm not catching her in time. We've had so many accidents in just the last 2 days we've had her. Oye. Any good youtube videos on how to communicate to puppy where *not* to go? So hard to now have to break bad habits. We're using natures miracle to clean up. She doesn't seem particularly interested in the pee spots so I think that cleaner works.

Wow, let me just add that I did a search on here for housetraining and housebreaking and unfortunately I'm in good company. Ugh. :/ I just need to know how to communicate with her.
Don't get too discouraged 2 days in.
Try to keep a very close eye and take her out a lot. Sometimes it helps to take the pup out on a leash and always go to the same spot in the yard. Don't walk around when you get to the spot a whole lot, just give the length of the leash and ask for a potty. Set a timer if it helps to remember to go out. Big praise for a potty, no potty, no biggie...but head back out soon for another try.
It'll get easier!

·
Registered
96 Posts
First walk success!
Took little Piper on his first walk. Since my last pup was an absolute scared nightmare walker, his first walk was a real treat! (Scared nightmare pup, who's since a wonderful walking buddy afyer a ton of training went along.) What fun to have a confident little puppy!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #186

Agree. Don't worry about the accidents yet. She doesn't know any better and can't hold her bladder/bowels for a while still. You're basically just trying to beat her to it and take her out before she needs to go. So all you have to do is be a mind reader!! I think there's actually a good kikopup video on that too. I think the keys are close confinement (she'll not want to go in her "den"), limit her access to rest of house (some kind of pen works great for this), always take her to the same spot and give her amazing treats when she goes where you DO want her to. Dogs do have a natural instinct to keep their own space clean so use this to your advantage. After you've used the Nature's Miracle, be sure to play with her on that exact spot, train her and maybe even feed her there. You know what they say..."you don't sh*t where you eat!"

Have fun and enjoy the craziness. The puppy stage goes by in a blink when you look back on it. What I wouldn't give for a few more weeks of my old girl Maggie who passed away last year!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just want to shout for joy that we are on day #3 with no accidents in the house! YEAH!! :grin2: I was starting to get worried because Annie has taken longer to housebreak than any other dog we have had....but it finally kicked in and I am such a proud mommy! She is just 11 weeks today. So hang in there everyone...it DOES get better!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I just want to shout for joy that we are on day #3 with no accidents in the house! YEAH!! :grin2: I was starting to get worried because Annie has taken longer to housebreak than any other dog we have had....but it finally kicked in and I am such a proud mommy! She is just 11 weeks today. So hang in there everyone...it DOES get better!
Yeah Annie!! We had a good run of about a week, then one day of two accidents right at 11 weeks. Light at the end of the tunnel though for sure...now we're getting firmly into rampage bitey stage...ugh.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I'm wondering how everyone is doing with letting their pups roam the house. We still have Sadie mostly in her pen attached to her crate and only have her out with a leash on and eyes on her. As soon as she's out she finds whatever she can to chew on. We don't really get much lounging time at all with her. I know it will get better, but so far, not seeing a good way to start giving her more freedom. Anyone else having more luck?

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have Luna confined in the Living Room and Kitchen area (when one of us can be there). Otherwise, if we have to leave it's crate (when up to one hour away) or Kitchen with gate (for longer time).

She's been introduced to other rooms, but likes to chew on every plant she sees....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Piper gets to roam most of the house unsupervised. He's blocked out of my son's room since he will steal toys. Other areas we just pick up things we think he might chew. But we don't have any houseplants or carpeting...so that makes it pretty easy. He almost always wherever our adult dog is, so that helps too. Our adult dog and him mostly entertain eachother, so hes not super interested in finding something else to do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Piper gets to roam most of the house unsupervised. He's blocked out of my son's room since he will steal toys. Other areas we just pick up things we think he might chew. But we don't have any houseplants or carpeting...so that makes it pretty easy. He almost always wherever our adult dog is, so that helps too. Our adult dog and him mostly entertain eachother, so hes not super interested in finding something else to do.
SHOPPING LIST:
[] Bread
[] Milk
[] Eggs
[] Well-mannered older rescue golden

So for you guys that let your puppy roam (and don't have a dog mentor in the house), do they constantly chew on everything including you, or do they eventually get bored and go back to relaxing? Do you ever have to do "time-outs" in the crate if they get a little overly Bitey McBiteface?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our adult dog ows us! She was a rescue and had HORRIBLE fear issues that required a lot of work. She's paying us back with puppy babysitting

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ruddy is only allowed to roam with his leash on and someone watching him. Otherwise, he is in his pen, in our family room, or crated when we go out and over night. He also chews on anything, and picks up anything that is not nailed down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So for you guys that let your puppy roam (and don't have a dog mentor in the house), do they constantly chew on everything including you, or do they eventually get bored and go back to relaxing? Do you ever have to do "time-outs" in the crate if they get a little overly Bitey McBiteface?
We have a great room style living area (kitchen/dining/living area is one big room) and Annie is allowed to free-roam that entire area. Bedroom/bathroom doors are kept closed for now. She is in the crate at night. I don't have low house plants, shoes or anything lying around on the floor for her to get to. She has tried to take things off the coffee table but once we give her a stern "no", she has learned that tone of our voice and clearly doesn't like it. We are lucky that she has responded to that command pretty nicely since day one, therefore she learned early on that kitchen chair legs, etc were not her toys! We then replace it with a toy she IS allowed to have and thank goodness puppies have such a short attention span that usually solves the issue.

I work from home, so during the morning for several hours she is in the crate while I work (after morning playtime and a potty break of course). Then we break for lunch and more playtime and potty break. Then back to the crate for my afternoon work time. She is left out of the crate then for the rest of the day until bedtime.

She goes to the sliding door and sits down when she has to go out. Sometimes I get confused if she is sitting there just to watch the wildlife in the backyard, or she really has to go out. Sometimes I have goofed and she had about 3 accidents in the house over the past 2 weeks because I misread her signal. :wink2:

We are in the biting stage (she is 13 weeks now) and has been for a few weeks. I am scratched up beyond belief! :surprise: I read somewhere on this forum that if you cannot get them to calm down by saying "no biting" several times, to play her on her side and gently hold one hand on her hind legs and the other hand on her muzzle while saying "no biting". Hold that for several seconds and then release and praise her if she has stopped biting. They are trying to establish dominance over you when they bite and that maneuver shows them that YOU are in fact the leader. I have done this several times over the past few weeks and it really has helped curb the biting. It is not totally eliminated by any means, but she responds now to me saying "no biting" as she associates it now with the maneuver, I guess.

Annie really is a joy to have and she is lovable and playful and growing like a week. Shes now at least 21 lbs. It's been a few days since I last weighed her so I'm sure she's more than that now. :smile2:

How long are you supposed to feed your pup 3x/day? When do you change to 2x/day? Anyone know? She is eating Fromm Large Breed Puppy and really likes it well. No diarrhea or soft stools.

I hope everyone's new pups are adjusting well and you are enjoying them as much as we are Annie! I will try to post some pics, but they always post sideways or upside down for some reason. I'll give it my best shot!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is everyone still feeding their pup 3 times a day or have you switched yet to twice a day?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I've only recently joined this forum so didn't post originally, but my Brad was born 15 June and this week weighs 33 lbs (15.2kg). I think he is going to be a big boy as his paws are huge!
I saw the parents and they seemed normal size, but everyone is surprised when I say Brad is only 4 months, as he looks quite doggy in the face already. I saw him the day he was born and visited every week until we took him at 8 weeks, as the breeder lives in my town, so I know he really is only 4 months.
Does anyone else have a boy who weighs around the same?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Hi Everyone. It has been a long time since I've been on this thread. I hope everyone is doing well. Sadie had a really tough few weeks of diarrhea. There's a whole other thread about it (Sick puppy advice), but she's finally starting to do better. She is 4 months and weighs about 25 lbs now, but with her diarrhea and small mom (only 56 lbs), we're expecting her to be on the small side. We're still doing puppy food @ 3x/day, but when this bag ends, I think we'll switch to adult food 2x/day. She is doing really well with training and we're going to start our first puppy class soon. We've also started to give her a little more freedom in the house, although still under constant supervision when out of her pen and she just has to grab something or counter surf. We're going to have to work on that!

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi Everyone. It has been a long time since I've been on this thread. I hope everyone is doing well. Sadie had a really tough few weeks of diarrhea. There's a whole other thread about it (Sick puppy advice), but she's finally starting to do better. She is 4 months and weighs about 25 lbs now, but with her diarrhea and small mom (only 56 lbs), we're expecting her to be on the small side. We're still doing puppy food @ 3x/day, but when this bag ends, I think we'll switch to adult food 2x/day. She is doing really well with training and we're going to start our first puppy class soon. We've also started to give her a little more freedom in the house, although still under constant supervision when out of her pen and she just has to grab something or counter surf. We're going to have to work on that!
We are going through the same diarrhea issues with Rudy. Our vet is handling it now. He is on prescription dog food (Science diet I/D), amoxicillin, metronidizol, and a probiotic (Fortiflora). It is starting to resolve after about 2 weeks of this treatment. I will start feeding him 2x a day on October 21, when he turns 4 months old. We have 2 more puppy kindergarten classes to go, then we will start a puppy obedience class. He has also lost a few teeth in the past few days.

181 - 200 of 212 Posts