Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching this section for awhile to see if anyone would start the June Goldens section!

My puppy was born June 4. I don't really know which one he is, since the breeder is going to pick for us. We're going to pick him up next monday [July 27], I'm so excited! Seven days left! But here's the litter at 5.5 weeks old:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm so glad you started this thread! I'll be bringing my little guy home on August 1st and I can't wait :D

Same as you, we won't find out which one is ours until the breeder makes her decision. I think she's got a good idea of what we're looking for in a dog and, having met and researched the litter, I can say that I will be a very lucky woman to own any one of these pups. Not sure why the picture went crooked when I uploaded it, but even sideways you can see how beautiful these guys are ;)

Will this be your first golden, aesthetic?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so glad you started this thread! I'll be bringing my little guy home on August 1st and I can't wait :D

Same as you, we won't find out which one is ours until the breeder makes her decision. I think she's got a good idea of what we're looking for in a dog and, having met and researched the litter, I can say that I will be a very lucky woman to own any one of these pups. Not sure why the picture went crooked when I uploaded it, but even sideways you can see how beautiful these guys are ;)

Will this be your first golden, aesthetic?
That litter will be gorgeous, I'm so excited for you!! Yes, it will be my first golden, how about you?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had them before, as well as some other breeds, but it's been a few years since I've had a dog in the house. I cannot wait!

How's yours settling in? This first day must be a big one for him (and you)!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had them before, as well as some other breeds, but it's been a few years since I've had a dog in the house. I cannot wait!

How's yours settling in? This first day must be a big one for him (and you)!
He's settled in quite nicely. He was the biggest in his litter at 14.95 pounds but he's the most mellow, which is exactly what we were looking for. August 1 is just 3 days away! I'm sure you must be quite excited, when was your puppy born?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congratulations on your puppies, Lauren8211 and Love_my_Max! It's neat to have a couple of people in this thread who can share experiences of things just a little bit before my guy goes through them, and another one who'll be going through it all at the same exact time.

He's settled in quite nicely. He was the biggest in his litter at 14.95 pounds but he's the most mellow, which is exactly what we were looking for. August 1 is just 3 days away! I'm sure you must be quite excited, when was your puppy born?
It's great that you got the mellow dog you were after. Golden pups are so energetic to begin with that I'm sure a laid-back puppy attitude will be a big relief sometimes. We've asked our breeder to place a high-endurance, begging-to-play kinda boy with us, but preferably not a dominant one. No need to stack the deck against myself in terms of training. It'll be interesting to see what we end up with!

My guy was born 6/10, just a few days before Lauren's pup. Every day he spends with his mom and littermates is so important, and I've certainly needed all of this time to prepare for him, but man am I excited to bring him home on Saturday. The dog bowls are out, the chew toys assembled... Now all we need is the dog!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Elway thank you, we sure are enjoying Max. I agree it will be neat to watch puppies close in age grow up & hear about the things they are doing.

You & Lauren8211 must be counting down the hours until you go get your little guys. Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am over the moon pleased with my new boy! He thrives on human attention, trots along behind us wherever we go, and is already going to the door when he needs to go outside (...sometimes). He's a playful, spirited little thing yet he has taken his new experiences completely in stride. He's excited when we get excited, and chill when we sit down quietly. A very responsive pup, which I'm thrilled about.

I think our biggest challenge right now will be crate training. He's happy as a clam if 1) he's eating or 2) the door is open. But once he finishes his meal/we shut the door, he cries and barks. Personally, I'd rather stick it out for a little while than work haphazardly and prolong the process. However, we do have neighbors, and my fiancé is very nervous about bothering them with late-night barking. I see where he's coming from, but last night Elway was jailbroken early by the fiancé and, sure enough, fiancé went back to sleep and puppy had an accident before we were up to prevent it. Maybe the vet will have some words of encouragement re: toughing out the barking. If we didn't have neighbors so close to us this would be a totally different story :( As is, I think today I'll have Elway hang out in the crate with the door closed for little blocks of time, trying to work up to a proper nighttime crating. I know it'll serve us all well in the long run.

Attached are some pics of my guy. He's been melting hearts from the second we brought him home. How are everyone else's doing?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
What a sweetie Elway is! Max does well in the crate at night but if I have to put him in there during the day to do anything he is not happy. Where are you crating him at night in your room or away from you? Max is doing good on housebreaking most times he goes to do the door when he needs out otherwise I try to keep track of time & take him out often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello!

Jack was born on 5th June and came home on 1st Aug. He was 5.6kg at his first vet visit yesterday!

Doing really well, gets up once a night, sleeps a lot, loves his "stuffy" toys (as opposed to the kong etc..). An absolute sweetheart and pretty laid back.

So happy to have a June thread!!! :wavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely forgot to answer this thread but Kaizer (born june 4) went to the vet yesterday for his first round of vaccines! He weighs 17.7 pounds at 9 weeks old. We got the biggest pup in the litter! I'm glad everyone else's puppies are doing good, that's always such a relief to hear!

·
Registered
96 Posts
What a sweetie Elway is! Max does well in the crate at night but if I have to put him in there during the day to do anything he is not happy. Where are you crating him at night in your room or away from you? Max is doing good on housebreaking most times he goes to do the door when he needs out otherwise I try to keep track of time & take him out often.
We've got it in the bedroom but we'll be moving it to a different room once we stop his nighttime bathroom trips. The breeder actually gave us a fantastic tip for the noise while in the crate. She said to take his metal food bowl and give it a sharp whack against the crate. It shuts him right up, and since we've got the crate covered in a dark blanket for that den vibe, all he sees is "barking-->bad noise I want to avoid." Some people aren't crazy about techniques like that, but not bothering the neighbors is a condition of his staying here, so it's really in his best interest. We haven't had a noise problem since!

Besides solving that little dilemma, we really haven't had any other issues. He's a wonderful leash walker with great instincts when it comes to meeting people. He's adventurous and happy, and I think he'll be an excellent companion. He requires constant supervision of course but he's so wonderful to be with that nobody minds at all.

Once we catch up on our sleep hopefully I can check the forum out more! For now, both the puppy and I need a good long nap. :sleeping:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Everyone

Discord was Born on June 15th, And I just picked him up on the 9th. I'm excited to know there is an entire forum of puppy parents that share the same birth month. This is him on our journey home, though he whined about 50% of the journey.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello again! How is everyone doing? Here's a new pic of Jack. He is growing like a weed and getting braver and more adventurous in the yard. Mornings are definitely his high-energy times! He has two crates - one for nighttime in our bedroom, and one in the living room. We are still working on the house training thing.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 580 Posts