Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alfie is 1 year old today!

It’s been a rollercoaster year. Alfie was a cute but difficult pup and did more than the average amount of jumping and nipping. Thanks to this forum and perseverance with training he has calmed down a lot and is turning into a beautiful and fun companion. I wouldn’t want to go through it all again but I also wouldn’t be without him now.

Looking forward to another year with my gorgeous little man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Happy belated birthday Alfie! I haven't checked the forum in awhile. That is a beautiful photo! Alfie is very handsome. It sounds like we have had similar first years. I am glad that Alfie is calming down. Mia has a way to go yet :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Happy belated birthday Alfie! I haven't checked the forum in awhile. That is a beautiful photo! Alfie is very handsome. It sounds like we have had similar first years. I am glad that Alfie is calming down. Mia has a way to go yet :)

Thank you .

They are a handful aren’t they?!

Alfie has always been a confident dog, loves everyone (usually a bit too much) and is totally oblivious of loud noises such as lorries, chainsaws and fireworks. Totally chilled, but every now and then, when his “bucket” gets a bit full he loses the plot and jumps and nips hands and arms. This can be in the middle of a walk whether on leash or during a long run off-leash. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it and I think it’s just over excitement. It can be embarrassing though in mixed company.

Hopefully, he will grow out of it soon .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mia does the same thing. I thought she was growing out of it but Thursday and Friday here were very cold and she found it to be invigorating. She has been jumping and nipping when we play in the yard (too cold for long walks). I was wearing mittens and that didn't help any because she had never seen them before. It can be embarrassing and sometimes even a little unsettling. We have worked with a trainer, but every now and then she goes back to old bad habits. This is my second golden but I had children at home with the first one and I don't recall Sophie being so challenging. I guess that's a combination of fading memory and having more distractions then (for the dog and me). Hopefully, Mia will settle back down when the weather warms up this week! Good luck with Alfie:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks and good luck with Mia too.

I don’t think it’s uncommon and they will grow out of it but I agree it is not only disappointing but can be unsettling and embarrassing!

Ironically, a long slow walk on a leash (with lots of time for sniffing) seems to tire Alfie as much as running free and he is less hyped up after it. We try to do a mix of the two.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts