Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh these puppies are all so adorable...love their names, their faces, and can just imagine how fluffy they are..good luck to you all...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Seren was born on September 14th 2017. She has been home for 2 weeks now. She shares the same mum and dad as our 2 year old golden Albie. They seem to be bonding really well thank goodness.
How is Daisy Mae settling in? Love her name. X
Daisy is settling well! She is making it through the night without waking to potty, and out ever 30 minutes to an hour. The girl loves to drink water. I have her sitting, waiting, giving paw, almost laying reliably. Working on walking on the leash. We had a harness but the trainer suggested a martingale, and she is doing a little better. We are supposed to have her (trainer) come to the house tomorrow for the first time to meet us. She is definitely a people. LOL

We got her 3 weeks ago today. First picture was the day my son and and I drove to pick her up near Riverside, CA. The second was day 2 at the house. The Third was was last week. The last is Daisy and my Chi Mimi (Daisy is growing on Mimi). My son is trying to take a picture a day... He is the main caretaker. He is 18, and has ADHD and mild Aspergers, so she is really keeping him focused. He says it's a lot of work caring for a pup.

Seren is a cutie!! :) How is she settling in?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Daisy is settling well! She is making it through the night without waking to potty, and out ever 30 minutes to an hour. The girl loves to drink water. I have her sitting, waiting, giving paw, almost laying reliably. Working on walking on the leash. We had a harness but the trainer suggested a martingale, and she is doing a little better. We are supposed to have her (trainer) come to the house tomorrow for the first time to meet us. She is definitely a people. LOL

We got her 3 weeks ago today. First picture was the day my son and and I drove to pick her up near Riverside, CA. The second was day 2 at the house. The Third was was last week. The last is Daisy and my Chi Mimi (Daisy is growing on Mimi). My son is trying to take a picture a day... He is the main caretaker. He is 18, and has ADHD and mild Aspergers, so she is really keeping him focused. He says it's a lot of work caring for a pup.

Seren is a cutie!! :) How is she settling in?
Seren is settling in well. Sleeps through night too, has sit and lay down and quickly learnt to sit and wait by her place mat for meals. Has had couple of accidents in the house over first few weeks but now she is able to hold it long enough to get outside and we are getting better at reading ghe signals and anticipating when she needs to go, so she is doing much better

We are following routine we used with Albie for walking. We trained him to heel off leash in the house, garden then along our very quiet road and just let him drag a short leash around the house when supervised to get used to it.when he was heeling well ( which happened very quickly) we then added the leash and for him and us it worked! He walked without pulling straight away. So hopefully it will work again for Seren but no 2 dogs are alike and he is a Velcro boy, so we will see how it goes.
Main thing we notice with Seren is that Albie has very rarely barked in the two years we have had him. Seren on the other hand has a voice and likes to use it !! So quiet training and ignoring barking are on her training list. She is lovely little pup though. Hope the trainer is good and you enjoy the sessions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Barley and Emery are both gorgeous, those eyes how are you going to resist them?
Hope they are settling in and you are having fun. X

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We did have a great session! She said I was one of the easiest most prepared families to work with.

I have never crate trained. So there is a learning curve there. The trainer said what we were doing was half crate training her (nights and when we are away), and recommended every time she sleeps to wake her and put her in her crate to nap. Eventially she will associate the crate as a safe place and will settle quickly. As it is, she settles fairly quickly 3-5 minutes. I do like letting her sleep at my feet though. I put her in the crate that is in the kitchen while I prepared dinner, and every time she whimpered, I talked to her, and she settled super quickly. My last golden would heel without a leash. I cant remember how I trained her because it was 20 years ago. But in just one day, she is way better. Trainer suggested a martingale collar. We got one, but without a chain. She suggested the chain because they have touch and auditory queues. I am walking her to the end of the street and back 3-4 times daily. NO longer walks yet, as she needs her 4th parvo/distemper and rabies. She did recommend not working on paw too much because she may get overzealous as she gets older and accidentally swat something. We are also tether and threshold training her and she is learning so quickly. There was a lot of good info. I will start her coming once a week through about mid-Jan. (Then Daisy will be in a group class working on socializing, good citizen and ultimately therapy dog certification. She is super quick to learn and not very high strung.) Once we get to that point I will bring Daisy to her for daycare once a week. The trainer is awesome. She trained at the San Diego Zoo for years, and I am very lucky to have her as a neighbor. :)

Seren sounds like she is doing great! :) I love hearing the updates. :)

Somedays I wonder if I should have waited, but she was available for us... and I am confident that she will be an amazing dog this time next year... she already is!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Neciebugs I was just saying that I don't know any puppy owner who hasn't wondered if they did the right thing getting their pup.Thought never lasts though. Its incredible that Albie is already 2. It flew by and as you say by 12 months the hectic puppy days are distant memories and you have an amazing dog by your side.

It sounds like you are very lucky both with your Daisy Mae and your trainer. We have a great day care for Albie and she helped us with training. She has a large piece of land with woodland stream fields with agility equipment etc and her home has a great garden and set up. He has a ball the 4 days I work each week. Seren will gradually join him once she has finished her injections. It is great knowing they are happy and safe while we are all working, worth every penny.

Albie has done the therapy dog training, we were going to do the assessment but then decided to wait till Spring as the dates coincided with Seren's arrival and we felt we should let him concentrate on adjusting to having a sibling pup, also felt I would have less time to commit to therapy visits. I teach at a school for children with Autism and learning difficulties so we hope to take him there and to the local hospice too. We visit a few of my kids at home already and he is very chilled and calm around the kids and their families.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Neciebugs I was just saying that I don't know any puppy owner who hasn't wondered if they did the right thing getting their pup.Thought never lasts though. Its incredible that Albie is already 2. It flew by and as you say by 12 months the hectic puppy days are distant memories and you have an amazing dog by your side.

It sounds like you are very lucky both with your Daisy Mae and your trainer. We have a great day care for Albie and she helped us with training. She has a large piece of land with woodland stream fields with agility equipment etc and her home has a great garden and set up. He has a ball the 4 days I work each week. Seren will gradually join him once she has finished her injections. It is great knowing they are happy and safe while we are all working, worth every penny.

Albie has done the therapy dog training, we were going to do the assessment but then decided to wait till Spring as the dates coincided with Seren's arrival and we felt we should let him concentrate on adjusting to having a sibling pup, also felt I would have less time to commit to therapy visits. I teach at a school for children with Autism and learning difficulties so we hope to take him there and to the local hospice too. We visit a few of my kids at home already and he is very chilled and calm around the kids and their families.
I am a special education teacher. My master's degree is with an emphasis on autism spectrum disorders and applied behavior analysis. I currently teach students with emotional disturbances... much different the the children with autism, but they are already begging me to bring Daisy in! One day!! :) My plans are to take her to the nearby rehabilitation/retirement home and to the Veteran's home nearby.

It will be great to share stories as our girls grow up! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh yes it will be great to share stories and the highs and lows as they grow x I am hoping Seren will turn out to be as gentle and calm as Albie is so that we can do therapy visits as a team. X

1 - 20 of 23 Posts