Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I am looking at purchasing a Golden pup. I currently have a 5 y/o female Yorkie mix at home. She's only 10# but very sturdy. Does anyone have experience with a multiple-dog household of littles and a Golden?

How did it work with the older dog being the smaller one?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Kristy
10,349 Posts
As with any breed, you'd want to monitor your puppy and older dog at all times. Usually it's to make sure the puppy doesn't accidentally get hurt but for you it would be to make sure the yorkie didn't accidentally get hurt. If you're prepared to supervise properly at all times, there's no reason you can't safely add a Golden puppy to your home.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I had a 12 pound Bichon who was almost 12 years old when we brought Rukie home as a puppy. She was scared of other dogs and I wasn't sure how it would work out. They did great together. We did a slightly elaborate meet and greet where they each sniffed a blanket with the other's scent and then let Rukie walk through the house while Eva was out and then let her in with him out. They were supposed to meet in neutral territory but that got messed up. It was good that she could jump on the couch to get away when she needed to. They played together under supervision but it was scary to watch sometimes because she was little and he was rough. A couple times she went after him with snarling and barking almost like an attack . It scared him but she never bit, no injury and I broke it up pretty fast plus he backed off. It was really just her setting a boundary line and he learned how to play without hurting her. They did some chase and lots of laying in the floor playing bitey face. She seemed several years younger after he came.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I have a 10 lb. toy poodle and a golden retriever. The poodle is the older dog. You can do it, but you have to be very careful during the golden's adolescence. Goldens tend to be boistrous and when they're young, they don't always have full control over all their energy. Once the two were getting along (it took months for them to become friends), we allowed only supervised playtime and were careful to make sure the poodle wasn't crushed or knocked over. Now that our golden is older, he's much more careful and I don't worry so much. But we watched them all the time for the first two years.

As for the male-female thing, I'm not sure it's always a problem. I had two females for a while (labrador and golden), then a male and a female (poodle and golden), and now two males (poodle and a different golden). They all got along well. For the same-gender pairings, the acceptance period was longer: in both cases the resident dog needed time to accept the newcomer. But once this was done, they were fine.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I had 6lb chihuahuas and never had an issue. But mugging other household members big or small is never tolerated. I watch my new puppies very closely and never allow them to chase the kitties or the little guys. The chi's were pretty good about setting boundaries but made sure to back them up by putting a leash on the pup to ensure they learned to respect their boundaries. And NEVER leave a puppy alone with a smaller dog. Just the size difference alone can be dangerous for the little guys, even if they are just playing.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I have a five year old Cavalier King Charles. I let them play, but if Logan (nine month old Golden) gets too carried away, I intervene. Abby is pretty sturdy though and gives what he gives when they are playing. They are good buddies.

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Go for it! I have 3 dogs, 2 goldens & 1 chihuahua. my two youngest are the boys, chihuahua male 2 years, and my male golden who is 10 months old. When i got my chihuahua, my girl was around 3 years, and she was the sweetest with him, and they bonded instantly.

I was a little worried about bringing in my male golden puppy at the start of the year and wasn't sure how my chihuahua would take to the new addition. It took about a week before they started playing. during the adjustment period, my chihuahua would set his boundaries really clearly.

There were instances where Monty stepped on Charlie when he was younger but thats only happened about once or twice. All 3 are together all the time, and I don't split the goldens from Charlie when i'm not around because he is really attached to them. My two boys are so compatible and similar its pretty hilarious how they get into trouble and do the same things. they have an almost 70lbs weight difference between them but they are besties!
Dog Mammal Dog breed Canidae Golden retriever
( they even disturb their big sister lily in the same manner)
Mammal Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore

Dog breed Dog Mammal Canidae Golden retriever
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Companion dog
Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Kooikerhondje

It's a toy shredding partnership. Monty makes the hole and then they both pull out the stuffing in sync.
Canidae Dog Dog breed Golden retriever Carnivore

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have a Brussels Griffon mix with 3 bigger dogs, 2 are goldens. The little one reprimanded the goldens when they are puppies a few times and they completely respect her and play on her terms. I have a video somewhere of one of my goldens as a puppy playing with her. It was gentle swatting at each other.

Reactions: JulesAK

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 2 yo golden prefers little dogs. I think because she can get away easily. She loves her sister (almost 9 months) but when she’s tired of her...she jumps on me to get away from her because I will stop it. She’s just too nice.

I think senior dogs/little dogs are the same often. And my lab, when I got Stella, wouldn’t even let her near her for 3 weeks. And then she set boundaries super fast. Stella learned she couldn’t run into her. So Stella learned to play with little dogs at puppy play. Corgi and long hair doxies were her bff and she got down on their level always and backed off!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I am looking at purchasing a Golden pup. I currently have a 5 y/o female Yorkie mix at home. She's only 10# but very sturdy. Does anyone have experience with a multiple-dog household of littles and a Golden?

How did it work with the older dog being the smaller one?

Also, I've read that male-female pairs are often more successful than same-sex pairs. Is there truth to this? I'd very much prefer to have a female golden.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
i have a yorkie and i just got willow 2 months ago, they don’t do very well with each other. Willow is a little too hyper for our yorkie . But as long as we monitor them it’s fine .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.