Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Maggie and Mya's Mom
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with our first Golden Maggie we had zero trouble with her and our Christmas tree expcept she would lay underneath it and may knock a few ornaments down while doing so, lol...but with Mya being so curious I have been afraid to put up our tree. I did get it up last not but not decorated yet and of course she came over licking it, I did get up this morning and put a gate around our tree, lol. I am hoping to not have to do this everyday but I wouldnt want her to knock it over on herself. Any of your Goldens ever tear down or knock down your tree??

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I've never had a tree knocked over but I always tied them to the wall with some very heavy fishing line. I also never put precious or delicate ornaments on the lower portion of the tree.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
half tree decoration.Mine never try to knocked down the tree or get ornaments.But I don't hang tennis ball on the tree .LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
I remember when my son's golden and my golden were youngsters chasing each other around the house, they bumped the Christmas tree in such a way that it fell over. I was in the basement at the time and heard the "thump" as it hit the carpet. The dogs were fine and only one ornament bit the dust. How we laughed that day as "the girls" were totally surprised. It's all a fond memory now as one of the girls went to the bridge and the other now lives in Colorado (12 years young). We have a 1 1/2 year old girl that will experience her 2nd Christmas with us. Haven't put the tree up yet as I'd like to wait until my hubby is on vacation/plant shut down for over the holidays.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Vito has left the tree alone for the most part, but at first he thought the big green ornaments were tennis balls, LOL.

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts
It's Emma's first Christmas, and our baby will have a Christmas tree + presents under it. I think I will set it up first with no decorations, and I hope she won't find it a good tug-of-war toy :)

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Last year was Ike's first Christmas. As you can see from my signature pic, there are no ornaments on the lower branches. He knocked them all off. Sam never bothered with the tree, ornaments, candy canes, etc. Ike was Curious George. :) ....what dec's you do see are Scrapblogged into the picture.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We always have a real tree...planted after. No problems with the tree or ornaments, but we don't put parcels beneath till the night before...Odin once found and ate some candles in a package! Could have been a lot worse, but served as a reminder to not trust these curious beasties too much.

Tree knocked over once, before decorations were on when a puppy tried to follow one of our cats up into the tree. We solved that by only allowing one or the other in the room at a time.

Funniest...two separate, but mutual friends. One stopped by at the others house so they could walk together. Gretsky, the visiting dog walked right in and peed on the tree, then walked right back out again. These guys are great friends, and all dog crazy, everyone was rolling around laughing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is Jack's first Christmas. The lights on the tree scared him a little at first and he will go up and sniff some of the ornaments but so far so good. He has been left alone for an hour or so and didn't bother the tree or the gifts underneath.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mine is kind of scared by the christmas tree. he somehow finds the tree sooo scary. when it moves along to get into the house! whaaat? somethign big moving! man .. i run and hide! so last year i had to train him and let the blower branches give him some treats so he wouldnt stop beeing in the living room. haha He has had no trouble with presents laying underneath either. He only ate a half candle last year that he accidently knocked down from a window. :)

here in our family we never put up Christmas tree untill 23rd of december. and we always use real trees .. :) Nothing like Christmas, walking downstairs and sit down befre the tree with a chocolate-rice-candy-thing and smell the tree while slowly waking up to a wonderful day :) (a little of topic but i loooove Christmas.. and of course,, the norwegian way!)

hugs from Ranveig and Valentino

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I went and bought a 3 ft table top tree. If we put the big tree up, there is no doubt Cruiser would try and drag it out the dog door.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The benefit of having a toddler and puppy in the house--I have an enormous gate around both the fireplace and the tree. Neither of them can get to anything. But Sherman is really very good about sticking to his toys (or the kids' stuffed animals when he thinks I'm not looking, LOL).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last year was our first Christmas with Bailey. My dad was freaking out about putting up our tree so we bought a tiny tree and put it on our entertainment center. Well this year we convinced my dad to actually put up the tree. He decided he wanted a new one that was pre-lit (fine w. me!!). He was still all concerned and anytime Bailey stepped near the tree he would freak out. Well Bailey has been very good. However the darn cat hasnt! she tries to climb it all the time. Its kind of funny...when we yell at the cat to stop or try to get her away from the tree Bailey runs over to the tree as if tell her to stop. Its pretty funny. I also noticed a little bit ago that a section of the lights weren't working on the bottom...the cat chewed through part of the wire...luckily while the tree was off! And to think my dad thought the dog would be the problem! :p:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I've never had a tree knocked over but I always tied them to the wall with some very heavy fishing line. I also never put precious or delicate ornaments on the lower portion of the tree.
Exactly what we do. We also have the floor lamps and book shelves secured. We have a lot of small children coming and going so it is safer for all.
When putting things on the tree we use the wire hangers and I actually bend them on the branches so they can " take a hit " if need be.

·
Breec3
691 Posts
When I brought a real tree in my house, the first thing my golden did was lift his leg. errrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg

It has been fake trees since.

My tree only looks pretty the first day, this year I have a kitten batting at the christmas ornaments, and two dogs that like to lay under the tree. So the bottom looks tore up already. lol

Sadie has taken a liking to candy canes this year!

·
Registered
625 Posts
So far so good. We brought the tree (real) home last weekend and Tilly just sniffed it a few times and got stearn "No" and left if alone until we decorated it a couple days later. She showed a little interest in the decorations, but got the same "No" and leaves it alone. Same with any packages, it seems she just needs to take a couple sniffs to make sure all is well, but once she gets the "No" she's not really interested.

Of course, due to her tail, we don't have any breakable decorations on the bottom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts