Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking into Golden Ridge Kennels in Maine for a potential new puppy. It looks like she has a great reputation, a lot of Facebook followers that seem to all be posting happy pictures of their Golden's. My main concern when picking out a new puppy is having the proper health clearances including OFA on the parent dogs. She was very certain that they are extremely healthy puppies from excellent bloodlines, but she does not give out OFA because "someone had stolen them 15 years ago and were being passed around a pet store".

She did have doctors fly in 7 weeks ago and do health checks on all their dogs (96 of them) which I went on Facebook and saw the pictures of the event and having their dogs checked out.

It has been really hard to find a Golden and this place seems like a good spot but knowing that they do not give OFA health reports does make it seem like a bit of a gamble. On top of that, they are charging A LOT for their puppies.

Does anyone have experience with this kennel or general thoughts about this women's story as to why she does not give out health reports?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
You literally can’t steal OFA results. They are on a public verification website that is a protected entry system in that only OFA can add/delete/update the information.

Even if they could be stolen, that would be like saying I don’t have a driver’s license because they can be counterfeited.🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Her tale is a fantasy-
and there are 5 separate threads on this site alone about her program none of which have any good news about it.

If you ask her the registered names, she would probably spin some tale about them being stolen as well. But these are tales made up to keep you, the buyer , from asking for clearances- I would literally post you every single dog I own's reg# and OFA links. It's nothing that's not out there on locked databases such as OFA's.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
OMG! Just saw that number again- 96 dogs!!!!! Oh my.
well, I suppose if she even knows their registered names that's pretty astounding- but her apparent following I promise you includes no one who is educated on dogs...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That just doesn't add up to me. OFA results are public information. You can look up any dog you want there. And 96 dogs is far too many for anyone. I have 4 dogs and that's a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I agree - I'd run from this breeder! As mentioned if they really have OFA clearances they are available on the OFA website and you can see them if you have the dogs' registered names/numbers. In fact, posting the results there are part of the GRCA Code of Ethics requirements! The fact that they have 96 dogs alone would send me screaming into the night. No way could a social dog like a Golden be getting the attention they need with that many dogs (I personally start to get uncomfortable if a breeder has more than 10 personal dogs). This sounds like a commercial operation (at best) which is treating their dogs as cash machines.

There are MANY reputable breeders in New England. This thread should give you some leads (see post #13 where I list all the breeders I checked out and felt were reputable when I did a search a few years ago): Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]. Note that just because on the surface I thought they looked reputable does NOT mean you don't need to verify that. If in doubt, come back here with dog reg numbers/names and someone can help you verify that all clearances are in place. You can also use the search function for the forum to see if they have been discussed in the past.

Maine also has an active Golden Retriever Club that has a breeder referral, so I encourage you to contact them as well: Maine Golden Retriever Club

If you contact a reputable breeder and they aren't currently planning a litter, don't hesitate to ask them for referrals to other breeders. New England is small and most breeders know who in the area are reputable.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
By the way, you say she's charging "a lot" for her puppies. I know quite a few breeders in New England and the current price range (puppies from fully tested parents, most with conformation championships and often with working titles) is in the $2500-$3500 range. There are a few outliers that may push as high as $4000, but I personally question whether they are just taking advantage at the current demand... I'd want to know there was something special about their puppies that make them "worth" more than puppies being produced by other reputable breeders in New England.

Also just a heads up that there is no such thing as "British Creme" (or any variation thereof). Reputable breeders do not use this term, nor do they generally breed with color as a criteria, so that should be your first red flag to eliminate a potential breeder. There ARE reputable breeders who breed dogs who have that "look" (lighter coats, possibly a heavier body type) but they are more likely to describe them as "English type" (assuming they make the distinction at all) and color will not be a top criteria in their breeding program.

Reactions: MyWayGoldens

·
Kate
22,302 Posts
. She was very certain that they are extremely healthy puppies from excellent bloodlines, but she does not give out OFA because "someone had stolen them 15 years ago and were being passed around a pet store".
I am sitting in the dentist chair waiting for the dentist and omg this gave me a good laugh that I needed today. 😂

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, you say she's charging "a lot" for her puppies. I know quite a few breeders in New England and the current price range (puppies from fully tested parents, most with conformation championships and often with working titles) is in the $2500-$3500 range. There are a few outliers that may push as high as $4000, but I personally question whether they are just taking advantage at the current demand... I'd want to know there was something special about their puppies that make them "worth" more than puppies being produced by other reputable breeders in New England.

Also just a heads up that there is no such thing as "British Creme" (or any variation thereof). Reputable breeders do not use this term, nor do they generally breed with color as a criteria, so that should be your first red flag to eliminate a potential breeder. There ARE reputable breeders who breed dogs who have that "look" (lighter coats, possibly a heavier body type) but they are more likely to describe them as "English type" (assuming they make the distinction at all) and color will not be a top criteria in their breeding program.
Good to know. As FYI, she is charging $4,5000

·
Noreaster
2,156 Posts
I started down that exact same road when I lived in Maine and we had just lost our 10-year-old Golden to hemangiosarcoma. I looked at their website…and it just set off alarm bells for some reason and I didn’t know all that much at the time. First, multiple litters at the same time. Second, big bucks for “English Cream.” Mostly, their site just made everything look too good to be true.

Ironically, searching on that kennel is what brought me here to this forum…and I learned what to look for and what to avoid. And I feel like I dodged a bullet, honestly. That was six years ago and I’m sorry to hear that they’re still churning out puppies.

I did meet one of their dogs at a training class in Bangor where I used to take all my dogs and she was a nice girl, temperament-wise, and she had a beautiful coat. (Her owners were so convinced they’d spent extra to get “something special” in the English Cream thing that I didn’t have the heart to try to educate them). But her muzzle was long, she had hound ears and it looked like her hindquarters were higher than her shoulders, which is concerning, structurally.

You can do better! It may take a while….I waited nearly a year before Griffey came home…but he’s a great dog and has been healthy and happy.

ETA: That price is insane. Griffey’s breeder, who is wonderful, is only charging $3500 for a pup with all of the clearances.

ETA2: She had vets “fly in”? I know a bunch of excellent vets in that area. If she’s flying in vets (first of all, that’s nonsense, it just sounds fancy), it’s because all of the area vets won’t deal with her as a client anymore. And that tells you somethiing as well, because it’s not a wealthy area where vets have their choice of clients with money.

The more I think about that, the dumber that is. First, vets would have to be licensed in the state of Maine to practice there legally. Second, Maine’s a small state. Even if they were in the Portland area and for some reason willing to go to Hampden, that’s only a two-hour drive to Hampden. Nope, it’s all a lie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
She did have doctors fly in 7 weeks ago and do health checks on all their dogs (96 of them) which I went on Facebook and saw the pictures of the event and having their dogs checked out.
um, what? I suppose it’s simpler to have a vet travel to them because it’s not possible to bring 96 dogs in to a vet’s office...but why does a vet need to be a flown in, do they live on a remote island?

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are a lot of reputable breeders in New England and this is NOT one of them. Last I knew she was charging over $5,000 for puppies with nothing in their pedigrees to justify that. Very high volume breeder. I would stay far far away!

·
Noreaster
2,156 Posts
I must have skipped over the “96 dogs” part because it makes my heart hurt…

She’s not a breeder. She’s a feedlot operator. Why the town of Hampden hasn’t shut that down (or the state of Maine) I don’t know.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
BIG fat no. She is a puppy mill. 96 dogs?! That baloney about having OFAs stolen...have heard other horrible breeders use this as an excuse before, and honestly that's not even possible with the public database. If she is selling all of those puppies for 5k a piece, she'd have plenty of money to get clearances on her dogs. I had a friend who inquired about getting a puppy from them (I think her name is Roxanne?) emailed back and basically asked for them to send in a deposit and she'd let them know when puppies were born. Didn't ask a single question about the potential family or life that the puppy would have. She does not care about the health of the dogs she breeds, nor the preservation of the breed as a whole. She's a puppy farmer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts