Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldendoodle and other things...

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  AquaClaraCanines 
#1 ·
I just found out that Samwise's Grand-Dam, Esther (who is owned by my neighbor), is going to be bred with a standard poodle - they want to get into the goldendoodle business. Esther has all her health clearances and I'm sure they will make sure the poodle does, too. I bet the puppies will be adorable but I'm just not sure how I feel about this.

Here at home, Samwise had begun to limp a bit on his front right leg but the vet is closed already so I can't bring him in until Monday. He doesn't appear to be in a lot of pain - I'm sure there is some pain otherwise he wouldn't be limping, right? He hasn't been getting a whole lot of exercise in the last few days because of the wacko weather we've been having. I don't know if that's got anything to do with it or if he's just having growing pains. I've massaged that leg and the shoulder; he shows no discomfort. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Christi

PS - excuse the needs-to-be-vacuumed carpet - I'm having trouble keeping up with their shedding!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not a fan of the goldendoodles, but I never really liked poodles, either.

Samson has had times when he's limped. After a hard work out at the park, he might limp a little, but it's been a while since I've noticed any at all.

#4 ·
Just went thru this with Tinkerbell who is 5 months old and 35 pounds. the vet said I could give her 2 children's aspirin (160 mg) every 12 hours. I don't give it to her during the day normally but at night I do. When I give her the aspirin at night she wakes up with no limp also it tends to bother her more at night after she has been on it all day.

#5 ·
Some people really love those dogs. They have a following. I am not attracted to them myself. But someone put some pics on the forum recently and those dogs were cute....I just don't usually see them as attractive.

I hope Samwise feels better. Lucky has limped when he over did himself and I know it worrysome but he hasn't for many months.

#6 ·
I think the doodles are adorable puppies but not-so-cute adults and they are WAY overpriced. I'm just really surprised they are going to do this.

Thanks very much for the aspirin advice. I actually don't have any in the house since none of us humans use it but I can get some first thing in the morning and try it.

#8 ·
Well, yes, puppies are always adorable, but Goldens keep that puppy face their whole life I think :) I think they're cute even when they're old and get the cutest white face! Awww

I don't like goldendoodles at all. I'm just not attracted to curly coated dogs for some reason...

#9 ·
About the limping --

My neighbor's Golden started limping pretty badly one day on one of his front paws -- he wouldn't even put any weight on it while he was sitting. We had no idea what was wrong, as you could grab that leg, squeeze it, move it in all different directions, etc, with no pain, no yelp, no pulling it back. A couple days later she took him into the vet and asked for x-rays, etc. Nothing was wrong at all, the vet just suggested it was muscle "growing pains".

The pup in question was ~6 months at the time, and probably ~75 pounds, which probably contributed to the growing pains :)

Hope your pup ends up okay!

#10 ·
Our 6 mnth old pup "Fleur" has the growing-pains-thing. And our "Double" had it two years ago, when she was the same age.
We use "Traumeel", which is homeopatic stuff. I hate it, seeing a nice pup limping like a war-veteran, and there is always some anxiety ("...poor doggie has HD..."):mad:

#11 ·
Just wanted to report that the baby aspirin does seem to be working. I'm going to talk to the vet today and see if there's anything more I should be doing.

Thank you all for your help!

#12 ·
Having not read any other posts...

Regarding the limping, how old is your dog? Sounds to me like it could be pano, which is possibly genetic but little understood condition that usually affects dogs that are growing. It's especially common in German Shepherd Dogs, and they generally outgrow it all but the most severe cases. GSD folks just shrug it off as normal for the most part.

It could also just be from landing funny at play.

Regarding the Golden-doodles...

Well I've just lost my appetite :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.