Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6-month old Golden Retriever
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Golden lovers,
Great to join a forum for Golden lovers :)

I have an adorable 5-month old male Golden Retriever called Nacho who is a really active pup. We let him roam around the house (into limited rooms) during the daytime and he sleeps in his crate at night. A really quirky thing that he does is sleep on his back almost every single time we leave him outside his crate and sometimes inside as well (see the pics I've included).
He greets us in the mornings and friends visiting us at home or even strangers outside in such a fashion where he falls to the ground and shows his belly.
My questions are:
  • Is this sleeping posture common amongst Goldens?
  • Is the falling-to-the-ground-showing-belly a common behaviour as well?
I don't mind this behaviour if this is harmless but I don't want to be enforcing a bad behaviour in the future. Happy to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

Nacho sleeping near me despite having a cozy bed right nearby

Nacho when he's bored

Nacho in his crate

- Karthik

P.S.: we used to keep his harness on him all day until he was reliably able to hold his pee for longer. We no longer keep him in his harness after his walks in the morning and in the evening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, thanks! Does your golden also greet strangers in a similar fashion? I read that dogs do that to keep themselves cool but it is 8C (46 F) in the daytime where I live and he still sleeps like this when he sleeps :D

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I agree it's normal for sleeping. His doing it when greeting people seems like a very submissive posture and I would try to get him out and build his confidence. Have you been able to do puppy obedience classes? I'm not a pro so hopefully others will give thoughts on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and for the pics! It is wonderful to read and see that this is totally normal behaviour :)

We too thought Nacho was a bit too submissive with humans but he stands up to and plays quite normally (albeit eagerly) with larger breeds like a Bernese or German Shepherd. He is a bit too active and jumps on people and pups alike but we're trying to make him sit (still work in progress) when greeting humans and dogs. He used to greet people with an enthusiastic pee but that seems to slowly fade away although he still does that time to time when meeting new people. As a practice, we greet "new" visitors on our yard with his leash on to foresee any possible peeing.

I'll try to curb his compulsive falling-to-the-ground pet me shenanigan as it is cute but a tad bit suspicious of his feelings towards humans as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know.
Yes, I've removed his harness and moved on to a collar. A trainer had mentioned that harnesses are better for puppies since their bones have not completely developed and to leave them on always for quicker leashing and unleashing when he's non-responsive to commands. Nacho now roams the house without anything on and wears a collar when we go for walks or training.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Here's our Kona in one of her favorite spots, in a favorite position. In a somewhat non-PC, PG-13 mindset, I refer to this as "slutty puppy". This area is (a) tiled, (b) directly under an A/C vent (9' ceiling, so no danger of getting dried out), and (c) has a corner she can snuggle into for "security". As a bonus, it also commands all traffic between the kitchen and family room.

I've also seen her in this same posture at night, in her crate. But, more commonly downstairs, when she's just chillin'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too have seen Nacho do a similar posture right in between our living room and kitchen giving him a prime vantage point of knowing if we ever had something to eat. That is a keen observation. He is almost always in a non-PG 13 posture when in such a sleeping position ;)

I also read that dogs sleep in such a posture only when they completely trust their surroundings and their pack as this leave them in a very vulnerable position in the wild. So, I guess all of us who have Goldies that have this posture have done a reasonable job of providing them a secure environment to live :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hudson sleeps that way fairly often. I have heard from experienced experts that this is common when they feel safe and they are happy. The belly is soft and vulnerable, and to show it when sleeping is ultimate trust is how I see it.
The confidence building when out to minimize laying on his back when meeting new folks makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts