Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our sweet 8 yr old boy was just diagnosed with small cell intestinal T-cell lymphoma, associated with chronic enteritis/IBD, which is more common in cats. Wondering if there is anyone out there who has a dog with this diagnosis? Or who knows anything about it? We are having a hard time finding much research online or info about best treatment protocol, prognosis, etc. I'm happy to share what we've learned so far and the treatment he's been on for 7 months so someone else out there might not also feel so alone. Pls let me know!

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
I went through this with my last rescue, he was 8 when he was diagnosed. It's been a while so treatment has probably improved a bunch over the years. and you might have lots more time than we did. We basically did steroids and pain meds for over 2 yrs before the pain got to be more than was fair to him. We had over 2 yrs of cow patty poos and eventually his poor body just couldn't absorb the nutrients anymore and nodules began to appear ... well pretty much all over. Towards the end he had good days and bad but he was almost 11 before giving up the fight and had to put him down. It was crushing but looking back I waited longer than I should have. I just couldn't let go. I hate you are faced with this diagnosis but be strong, you have more time so enjoy your pup as long as you can. Most of the bad, painful days didn't happen for a couple of years so spoil him often.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boy's diagnosis.

Have you checked any of the Vet Schools in your area for information?

This is an old thread, but it lists all the Vet Schools and Oncology Clinics-

You may also want to check for Clinical Trials at Vet Schools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts