Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Golden is a little over a year old. My question his weight has remained the same at about 72lbs for the last 2 months. He has not been neutered, eats 4+ cups of grain free food per day. He does get a decent amount of running exercise per day. His dad was 90lbs and mom was 80lbs. Is this normal for a golden? I Know that they dont fully mature till 18 months. I just wanted to know if this seems normal to most of you.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
70#'s is perfect for most goldens. 80 or 90 would be outside the breed standard for goldens. The best way to tell if your dog is the correct weight is to stand over them and feel the ribs. You should be able to feel them easily with light pressure and certainly shouldn't be able to see them.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Your dog is at the perfect weight. Tucker is just over 17 months old and is exactly 70 pounds. I don't want him any heavier than that. A lean dog is a healthy dog.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It sounds like a good weight, but it really depends on things like how tall he is. Why not post a picture?

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
Defiantly sounds like a good weight for that age.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Bogart is 4 years old and 72 Lbs right now. He is 24" at the withers. As a young dog around a year he was a light 58 Lbs. I like to keep him on the skinny side. He gets 3 cups of his dogfood and anything my old dog leaves for him in her bowl (he loves cleaning up the ZsaZsa bowl). Bogart didn't fill out until 3 years old. He is a late bloomer LOL.
Most people think he is a female since he is not very tall and so slander.
They also always think he is still a very young dog. Like I said a late Bloomer.
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
72lbs sounds just about perfect for a goldie, assuming that he is a normal height. If he looks good and like others said above, if you can easily feel the ribs but not see them, he is in good shape. The leaner the better for a GR, especially for their hips and joints!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
From what you describe I think your boy's weight is ideal.
Here is a chart from Purina that illustrates and explains how to determine whether your dog's weight is ideal or not.

Understanding Your Dog's Body Condition

Too Thin

1 Ribs, lumbar vertebrae, pelvic bones and all bony prominences evident from a distance. No discernible body fat. Obvious loss of muscle mass.
2 Ribs, lumbar vertebrae and pelvic bones easily visible. No palpable fat. Some evidence of other bony prominence. Minimal loss of muscle mass.
3 Ribs easily palpated and may be visible with no palpable fat. Tops of lumbar vertebrae visible. Pelvic bones becoming prominent. Obvious waist.

Ideal

4 Ribs easily palpable, with minimal fat covering. Waist easily noted, viewed from above. Abdominal tuck evident.
5 Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Waist observed behind ribs when viewed from above. Abdomen tucked up when viewed.

Too Heavy

6 Ribs palpable with slight excess fat covering. Waist is discernible viewed from above but is not prominent. Abdominal tuck apparent.
7 Ribs palpable with difficulty; heavy fat cover. Noticeable fat deposits over lumbar area and base of tail. Waist absent or barely visible. Abdominal tuck may be present.
8 Ribs not palpable under very heavy fat cover, or palpable only with significant pressure. Heavy fat deposits over lumbar area and base of tail. Waist absent. No abdominal tuck. Obvious abdominal distension may be present.
9 Massive fat deposits over thorax, spine and base of tail. Waist and abdominal tuck absent. Fat deposits on neck and limbs. Obvious abdominal distention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts