Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Golden Retriever available now, summer 2022 to join a dog loving family that has never owned Golden but the one wish of a loving 11 yo soon middle school student
Experience with Full bread German Shepards, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and now Habanese
Not counting the Pit Bulls we have inherited and now passed

Litter available at Star Country Goldens and would like to know if this is a reputable breeder in forum
馃檹馃徑

Registered
As a rule of thumb- any breeder who's breeding ACA registered dogs is not a breeder you want to go with.

Registered
This is not an ethical breeder. Some of their dogs are not even AKC registered which is probably because they got their parents from another breeder on limited registration so no permission to register offspring. The GRCA code of ethics recommends 4 core health clearances, hips (through OFA or PennHipp), elbows through OFA, heart clearance by a cardiologist and posted to OFA, and annual eye exams posted to OFA. Their girl Laffy only has hips and elbows, and is not even AKC registered https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2204092

same thing for their stud dog Sherman, no heart or eye clearances. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2061852

Jennie doesn鈥檛 have any health clearances, bizarrely they posted an Embark DNA breed test, as though they need to prove she鈥檚 a golden.

Tulsey has a hip clearance but no elbow clearance posted which likely means she failed elbows. OFA automatically posted passing scores but only posts failing scores of owner gives permission. They provided pdfs of her heart and eye clearances, heart looks good actually By a cardiologist as it should be but the eye clearances is years out of date, those need to be done every year

I鈥檓 not going to review every single dog but you get the idea.

also their dogs do not have proper breed type they definitely don鈥檛 show them and I see no mention of competing in sports with them so they just have them to breed and sell puppies.

be careful with breeders in the Pennsylvania area, there are a lot of Amish puppy mills there.

Registered
available now, summer 2022
I believe your wanting one "now" is going to reduce your chances of finding a healthy dog. I understand the 11 year old's desire for immediate gratification. But the kid will be even more devastated if the dog becomes part of the family this summer only to have health issues down the line.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking for Golden Retriever available now, summer 2022 to join a dog loving family that has never owned Golden but the one wish of a loving 11 yo soon middle school student
Experience with Full bread German Shepards, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and now Habanese
Not counting the Pit Bulls we have inherited and now passed

Litter available at Star Country Goldens and would like to know if this is a reputable breeder in forum
馃檹馃徑
As a rule of thumb- any breeder who's breeding ACA registered dogs is not a breeder you want to go with.
thank you for guidance

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe your wanting one "now" is going to reduce your chances of finding a healthy dog. I understand the 11 year old's desire for immediate gratification. But the kid will be even more devastated if the dog becomes part of the family this summer only to have health issues down the line.
Yes that鈥檚 a problem but we have been searching for a breeder for the past 8 months and the most promising and available this summer was Star Country, now I must break the news that it wasn鈥檛 a good find, will forfeit the deposit and keep searching
Other breeders with litters were an airplane ride away
Thanks for reply

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not an ethical breeder. Some of their dogs are not even AKC registered which is probably because they got their parents from another breeder on limited registration so no permission to register offspring. The GRCA code of ethics recommends 4 core health clearances, hips (through OFA or PennHipp), elbows through OFA, heart clearance by a cardiologist and posted to OFA, and annual eye exams posted to OFA. Their girl Laffy only has hips and elbows, and is not even AKC registered https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2204092

same thing for their stud dog Sherman, no heart or eye clearances. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2061852

Jennie doesn鈥檛 have any health clearances, bizarrely they posted an Embark DNA breed test, as though they need to prove she鈥檚 a golden.

Tulsey has a hip clearance but no elbow clearance posted which likely means she failed elbows. OFA automatically posted passing scores but only posts failing scores of owner gives permission. They provided pdfs of her heart and eye clearances, heart looks good actually By a cardiologist as it should be but the eye clearances is years out of date, those need to be done every year

I鈥檓 not going to review every single dog but you get the idea.

also their dogs do not have proper breed type they definitely don鈥檛 show them and I see no mention of competing in sports with them so they just have them to breed and sell puppies.

be careful with breeders in the Pennsylvania area, there are a lot of Amish puppy mills there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge
I feel I received free education and I鈥檓 so happy I found this forum and have access to resources.
Actually the only reason I have time it鈥檚 because I鈥檓 COVID positive and in quarantine
It鈥檚 a blessing is disguise because we trusted the breeder and not savvy to know what was missing from credentials. Assumed they were AKC certified.
I will forfeit the deposit and keep searching.
We are not looking for a Show dog but it seems that health and good breeding is tied to breeders with Show dogs. Thank you for sharing
馃ゲ

Registered
If you decide you鈥檙e okay with waiting, Madileau Golden鈥檚 in Bethlehem PA is one of the breeders I鈥檝e found that appears to be following GRCA. They have titled dogs with all required clearances. Their website says that they are planning a fall breeding with Phoebe (Lycinan鈥檚 Dangerous When Wet) who turned 2 in May and doesn鈥檛 have final clearances in OFA yet, but you can ask about those when you contact her. I know that she had one pup not reserved after her last litter just a month or so ago, which is why I think it鈥檚 possible she might have availability for her next one.

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum! There should be many existing threads about breeders in PA - both reputable one and less than reputable ones. Just use the search function to find them (start with 鈥淧A breeders鈥 and see what comes up).

These two resources will also further your knowledge of what makes a reputable breeder:

Reactions: ArkansasGold

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum! There should be many existing threads about breeders in PA - both reputable one and less than reputable ones. Just use the search function to find them (start with 鈥淧A breeders鈥 and see what comes up).

These two resources will also further your knowledge of what makes a reputable breeder:

Registered
We got one of our goldens when my son was 14. Though I could have done all the training myself, I had him do it with my help. He and the dog enrolled in beginner's obedience class, intermediate class, and we hooked up with a field group and did some basic field training with the dog. My son was the youngest person in all the classes, and learned a lot. That dog was the best dog we ever had (so far). They were bonded for life.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, that鈥檚 exactly what we are looking for, long term relationship to foster respect, responsibility, and unconditional love in a chaotic world .

Registered
I too thought that highly responsible and ethical breeders only sold show dogs. This forum was my PhD in what to look for in a breeder and the dam and sire. I asked forum members to help me vet several breeders and to help me interpret all the K9-Data/OFA results, so that I wasn鈥檛 putting non refundable deposits on a puppy that was most likely going to have severe health issues in the near future. I also learned that a breeder with puppies on the ground for sale, was not going to be a reputable ethical breeder. It took me 1.5 years from finding this forum to picking up Archie at 8-weeks old, but he was so worth the wait! Another thing, don鈥檛 shy away from expanding your search. At the time we got Archie, we were in CA and he was in WA state. I was pretty stressed about flying him home, but it was easy-breezy!!
P. S. As you can see the only title Archie will ever win, besides being Best Boi Ever 馃挋馃挋, is Biggest Goofball!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Pet supply

Registered
Since your 11 year-old is an enthusiast, maybe you could consider involving them in learning about all the criteria to find a healthy pup from a reputable breeder? Might help with the wait, and that way they are more informed, and likely even more invested in the wonderful puppy that you will eventually bring home. My daughter was always interested in all of the things at that age, and actually quite helpful (if a tad bossy...!).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Archie is gorgeous
Yes, the forum has been an educational experience
I have learned how to search for information on breeders and individual dogs ancestry and offsprings. The post and responses have been incredible, very helpful and encouraging and has given me the vocabulary, terminology and confidence to contact Breeders and get important information
The 11 yo has been researching Goldens for over a year and that鈥檚 the only dog she wants for a companion. She has decided on a male dog and after reading in the Forum I think I agree that鈥檚 what she is looking for in a companion
Thank you for sharing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts