Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell the difference?

I've questioned this a lot before, but never went on to find out. I googled Hovawart to compare pictures with the Golden and obviously there's the brown and black colored ones...but the golden one...well..looks like a golden retriever.

Have you ever encountered a Hovawart? Could you tell the difference between them and our pups?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
The only difference I can tell from my un trained eye is that they don't have as much hair as a Golden. Looking at pics of a golden and a hovawart, the Golden has more of a mane, where as the hovawart has a medium-short length fur. Also I believe Hovawart are a lot bigger then goldens. There is a member on here who has 2 I believe, I can't remember the name..

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
The only difference I can tell from my un trained eye is that they don't have as much hair as a Golden. Looking at pics of a golden and a hovawart, the Golden has more of a mane, where as the hovawart has a medium-short length fur. Also I believe Hovawart are a lot bigger then goldens. There is a member on here who has 2 I believe, I can't remember the name..

Her user name is HovawartMom....hopefully she'll see the thread and chime in.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Wow they sure do look similar! The only difference I can really see is in the build - its slightly different. Also small differences in the face (but of course that could just be at the specific picture I was looking at!). They are adorable though!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Didn't even know they existed lol. They do kind of look like goldens but I think they do look a bit bigger and I think goldens have a "softer" look to their face. They are cute tho!

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
That's what I was thinking!! I wonder if the differences would be obvious if you could see them side by side. I wonder if the Hovawart is bigger or something like that?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Here are more images of blond Hovawarts: blonde hovawart - Google Search

I can see my boy in them so much, especially with what looks like longer legs to my untrained eye. I had C DNA tested with the results coming back Golden X Collie but my boy does share one of their characteristics - barking at strangers and more of a cautious personality.

Here's the lastest pic of C - more Collie I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Yes from what I've read a Golden Retriever is (obviously!) a retrieving and hunting dog, while a Hovawart is a German guard dog, often used to guard large properties. So very different jobs! One is bred to help people find things, one to keep people away! Haha try to imagine your golden as a guard dog!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goldens can guard!...their food =)
anyway, I too would like to see a picture of them side by side. Does HovawartMom have a golden too? Hope she sees this...

And yeah, I've been looking more into their pictures and to me it seems like their faces/snouts are thinner...dunno though lol.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
anyway, I too would like to see a picture of them side by side. Does HovawartMom have a golden too? Hope she sees this...
I don't think she does ATM. I know she has the beautiful Titus and a pretty little girl that she just recently got. I wonder if she knows of any blonde Hovawarts.

When I get some time today I'm going to have a look at the history of both breeds. I think its fasinating that you have two different breeds that produce similar looking dogs....but then again, maybe this isn't so unique afterall?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
HovawartMom

I emld. HovawartMom and asked her to visit this thread.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know there's a few that look similar but are different sizes....these two though, I just think are waaay too similar looking to pass up sharing

I don't think she does ATM. I know she has the beautiful Titus and a pretty little girl that she just recently got. I wonder if she knows of any blonde Hovawarts.

When I get some time today I'm going to have a look at the history of both breeds. I think its fasinating that you have two different breeds that produce similar looking dogs....but then again, maybe this isn't so unique afterall?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,826 Posts

And yeah, I've been looking more into their pictures and to me it seems like their faces/snouts are thinner...dunno though lol.
Laurie has had both Goldens and Hovawarts, she recently moved to France. Her Golden (Priska) passed some time ago. She has Titus, a gorgeous Hovawart, and two new kitties (I believe). I remember her saying that Hovawarts are a more challenging breed. She will probably chime in...

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Here are more images of blond Hovawarts: blonde hovawart - Google Search

I can see my boy in them so much, especially with what looks like longer legs to my untrained eye. I had C DNA tested with the results coming back Golden X Collie but my boy does share one of their characteristics - barking at strangers and more of a cautious personality.

Here's the lastest pic of C - more Collie I think.
Edit: when going through this thread again I realized that my post may have seemed out of place to the discussion. It was meant more for MylissyK who sent me a message about Hovawarts and Mr. C.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
So I did a quick search on the origins of Hovawarts and Goldens and got this information from their wiki pages:

Hovawarts:
Kuvaszoks
Newfoundlands
German Shepherds
Leonbergers
Bernese
African Hunting Dog (now here is a very unique looking dog)

Goldens:
yellow-coloured retriever
Tweed Water Spaniel
Irish Setter
Bloodhound
Newfoundlands
wavy-coated black retrievers

So, other than the newfies they don't share the same line of dogs yet produce very similar looking dogs. Check out the puppy pics if you can. If someone handed me a blond hovawart puppy I would think it was a golden puppy for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts