Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

I have an 11 month old Golden Retriever named Sadie, and since I've had her at two months old, she's been one very gassy girl. Sadie is fifth Golden throughout the years, and the only one I've had consistent gas problems with.

I started her on Science Diet puppy formula from the vet, and then migrated to Blue Buffalo for puppies. I started switching her to Canidae All Life Stages about a bit more than a month ago to bring down her caloric intake and so I only had to buy one food for my two dogs (the other is an adult Aussie mix).

The foods haven't changed anything... I was hoping that less calories would help with the gas. Not yet.

I also started placing her food in a bowl for dogs that are fast eaters, thinking that she was inhaling air as she was eating and this would slow her down. She does eat slower, albeit with perhaps more frustration and pushing the bowl around the kitchen, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Her dog treats are also all natural, and no matter which brand, she remains gassy.

I've had her on a pro-biotic supplement for the past couple of months, but that hasn't helped.

Sadie has been on a fish oil supplement since she was three months old, and its been fantastic for her coat and helps a lot with reducing shedding. My other Goldens also had problems with developing hot spots and having irritated skin depending on the time of the year.

She is also given a small amount of glucosamine — probably not necessary, but just as a precaution as she develops and grows into her adult bones. The glucosamine is really around for the Aussie since she has already developed hip and knee problems, and the glucosamine helps her tremendously.

With this little girl, she just poots constantly. Its not a rumble, its more like a steady release of air. And she knows she's doing it because she raises her head and looks at me. I may have yelled a few times in disgust as I had to leave the room, light candles or incense or banish her into the hallway. All she seems to figure out is a puff of air from somewhere seems to cause me to get upset... not sure if she even realizes she is the source of the air puffs.

Its been really gross. Lately I can understand it - she developed a UTI and has been on antibiotics, which makes for one rotten egg smell so thick it causes a gag reflex. But, shes run the course on the anti-biotics and for now, I'm afraid its back to her normal state of passing gas.

Any advice would be appreciated! :yuck:

Reactions: Karen519

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Have you tried dropping the fishoil out of her regime?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried taking the fish oil out of her diet. I've been thinking about trying it. If it is the fish oil causing these noxious fumes, that's going to be such a shame if she starts itching or her coat loses some of its luster.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yogurt. A cup, twice a day for a few days. Helps get their digestion back in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yogurt. A cup, twice a day for a few days. Helps get their digestion back in order.
The yogurt is for the priobiotics, right? I've been giving her a probiotic supplement already, but it hasn't helped. :(

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts