Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed Westleigh pretty much always walks with her tail down, not really tucked in. If I take her out to go the bathroom her tail will be up and same thing if she gets in the dog park to run around. She loves walks from what I can tell since she’s always excited to see other people or pull towards a squirrel. Tried to get some photos of where she holds her tail. Sometimes she holds it halfway up on walks, but never fully up like when she’s running around the dog park. Below pictures are typically how she holds it during a walk. Not fully tucked under. Not sure if this is just something different about her.
509B40BE-D5BC-49F7-BC39-468FEB50370D.jpeg
A9E2C55F-4666-48B6-8D0E-924DCF5DBD63.jpeg
D6C04A6F-94B0-4452-A9C7-16FAB28AF2B2.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
She's beautiful! Goldens naturally tend to hold their tails either low, or below the level of the back unless they're excited, then it may be held higher :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's possible that she could be more anxious on leash walks than at the dog park when she is free to run around and interact with other dogs. Her tail carriage does look lower than I would expect for a relaxed dog. It could just be the pictures, but it looks like her mouth is open very wide for panting, which is frequently a sign of stress.

This doesn't mean that she doesn't like walks on the leash, but that there could be a source of anxiety that is causing her some stress. For a lot of dogs, this is frequently just from over-arousal where there are so many things competing for their attention that their stress levels go up. I have a dog who has had confidence issues and when she is nervous about something her tail will go down like that. It doesn't sound like your girl is that scared, more likely it is environmental stress, possibly increased by feeling confined by the leash. But not seeing her body language in person I can't say for sure! She is a lovely looking dog. :)

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts
If i had to conclude based on the pictures I'd say she seems a bit nervous. But it could just be the way she holds her tail. As long as she does not exhibit other signs of stress there shouldn't be any cause for concern!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts