Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am sure this will get answered in many different ways, but it has been puzzling me for a long while.

If you look at the picture of my Goldens Elle and Bella (Elle is on the left) there is a difference in looks between them.

Can anyone explain to me why there is a difference between the two dogs ????.

Looking at pictures posted by fellow members Elle appears to be a modern version of the Golden family. Where as Bella is more of a tradditional Golden.

Elle is short coated has a larger bolder head and has more muscle tone to her bodyshape.

Bella has a longer and thicker coat, more dainty in her physique.

Is Elle the new generation Golden.

Bella is how i remember Goldens 20/30 years ago.

Don't worry i love them both as they are, but would love your thoughts.:)

Steve

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
As someone who has two very different looking golden's I think this is a great question. I have one who has English lines and was neutered early and I have one with American lines who was neutered later in life. Not only are the looks totally different I think the personalities are completely different as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bella was born in Australia and Elle was bred in the UK.

Are they just variations of the breed, i look at young goldens on the picture section and they are identical to Elle almost cloned.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Piper and her sister Ginger look completely different.
I'll post pictures later.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think my dogs look totally different, but apparently nobody else does! LOL

There are different lines out there and I think that's why you can get different looks.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I had kindof had the same thought--about how much variation there is in the dogs I see pictured on this forum. Is there as much variation in other breeds?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand Goldens being different in looks and character. But when you look back to when the 1st Goldens were bred, that is how i see Bella.

What has changed the breed over the years. Boxer dogs, border collies and labradors seem to have stayed the same.

Confused :confused:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,588 Posts
I can understand Goldens being different in looks and character. But when you look back to when the 1st Goldens were bred, that is how i see Bella.

What has changed the breed over the years. Boxer dogs, border collies and labradors seem to have stayed the same.

Confused :confused:
Comparatively speaking, the Golden Retriever is a "young" breed, still evolving. The 70's brought dramamatic change to the breed in North America and I suspect there were changes in the UK as well although perhaps not as dramatic as here across the pond.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
No, breeds have not all stayed the same!

Race Whippets, and even British show Whippets (at least the old fashioned ones) look like another breed stood next to a beautiful, elegant American show Whippet. Different heads, necks, angles, colors, etc.

Take a look at German Shepherd Dogs- just as a starter you have American Lines Show Bred, West German Show Lines, West German Working Lines, East German (DDR) Lines, Czech Working Lines... American BYB dogs... mixes of them all...

Just today I met a Sheltie at a craft fair I was walking around at. I asked if it was one of Judy's (Himark Shelties) because it just LOOKED like her "type" of Sheltie. The owner was delighted and excited and said, "YES!"

Now I haven't seen Judy or one of her dogs in ten years. But the type is there. Shelties vary extremely in type and look

Salukis- oh my god. Some of them look like ugly, fine boned Labs to me. Some are extreme American show types dripping in feathering and with too much rear. There are all different looks of them.

Every breed, really. Not just Goldens by any means :) Modern British show Goldens are not the original either- the first Goldens were not huge, oversized, thick bones, loose lipped nearly white colored dogs. Nor were they like American show bred Goldens either (though I find the latter vastly more attractive and athletic).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your feedback, not sure i know the answer if there ia an answer at all.

Look forward to more thoughts and suggestions as to what the answer might be.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Can't get much different than my two - Reeva is from purely a working line, and looks like the "original" goldens - if you look at any of the gundog sites, this colouring and size is common. She is also a lot smarter than Quinn and has more of a working instinct. Sadly, in my opinion anyway the breed is going towards the paler colours. The pic was taken a few months ago and Reeva is a little bit bigger now, but is still a midget compared to Quinn

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great picture, now compare Quinn to Elle almost identical as are the pictures in the puppy section of this forum.

I am right in saying the "MODERN" Golden is taking over, so what is happening to the tradditional Golden

Very :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts