Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Just watched it. Didn't realize that goldens are #3 on the bite meter. Yikes.
Yeah, that really surprised me too. Makes me wonder if what is being reported are real bites or mouthing being mistaken for bites. It's just hard for me to imagine goldens as aggressive dogs. Maybe I'm just wearing "gold colored glasses."

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Yeah, that really surprised me too. Makes me wonder if what is being reported are real bites or mouthing being mistaken for bites. It's just hard for me to imagine goldens as aggressive dogs. Maybe I'm just wearing "gold colored glasses."
I had heard at one time that they bite more people every year than any other breed. And the article I was reading said that a lot of it was because people don't treat them like dogs. When someone sees a GSD or Rottweiller they say good looking dog, can I pet him, they let the dog sniff their hand and then pet them. And they never let their kids just run up to one and pet it. But a golden retriever, they just come right up and start petting them. And I can't even begin to count the number of times that kids have just run up to Tinkerbell and the parents think no big deal. But it is, not all goldens like to be surprised, not all kids are nice. The goldens on TV never bite so why would one you see in real life? But no matter how well mannered they are and how great their temperment is they are still a dog.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I had heard at one time that they bite more people every year than any other breed.
Interesting thought. You might be right.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Great episode. Both my boys were covered tonight, so I was in my glory!

I was a little surprised at the bite statistic, as well. (For both the Golden and the GSD, actually.)

I couldn't help wondering, though, if aggression in Goldens really is starting to become so much more common, or if the number of bites is in direct correlation to their popularity. If Goldens are outnumbering so many other breeds, could it stand to reason that the number of bites are going to naturally rise as well?

I think it's a good point, too, that people don't use the same caution with Goldens that they do with other breeds. I see that all the time, with my boys. When I'm out with Riley, people ooh and aww and want to rush right up to him. When I'm out with Gunner (who is actually more friendly than Riley) people cross the street to avoid us.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Both of my dogs were showed too! (My Golden and German Shepherd). I was totally amazed when they said that the Golden was the third most common dog to bite. That's the first time I have ever heard that!

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Don;t let anyone know I watched it during the Alabama game. I never change the channel but had tonight!! Was a little surprised about being thrird in the biting department. I knew they were number one in biting a biscuit.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
I had heard at one time that they bite more people every year than any other breed. And the article I was reading said that a lot of it was because people don't treat them like dogs. When someone sees a GSD or Rottweiller they say good looking dog, can I pet him, they let the dog sniff their hand and then pet them. And they never let their kids just run up to one and pet it. But a golden retriever, they just come right up and start petting them. And I can't even begin to count the number of times that kids have just run up to Tinkerbell and the parents think no big deal. But it is, not all goldens like to be surprised, not all kids are nice. The goldens on TV never bite so why would one you see in real life? But no matter how well mannered they are and how great their temperment is they are still a dog.

:thanks:

that's exactly right - way too many people think it's fine to let their children do whatever to the dog b/c "it's a Golden"

i enjoyed the show, and i agree that they are pretty quiet on the bark scale, but.... what about other noises? Faith has a large vocabulary of roo roos, chewbacca sounds, and sort of puffed air woofs/barks.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I think it is a matter of statistics, with a larger population, you are going to get a larger amount of bites.

There was a list that recently came out as the most agressive dogs, and the daschund was number one, the chihuaha was number two. Golden retriever was not even on the list.

I thought it was interesting that they said that they don't have bad breath - is it from all the chewing they do?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I thought it was interesting that they said that they don't have bad breath - is it from all the chewing they do?
Could be. All that chewing is bound to keep the teeth nice and clean! :D
I thought it was interesting that they mentioned that, too, because I'd never really noticed it. Once I thought about it, though, I'd have to say that I agree. Cooper never had doggie breath. Not even when he was older, and Riley has never had funky breath either.

I thought I was going to crack up when the narrator said 'You might be suprised to learn that these dogs can be clowns.' (Really? Ya don't say...) ROFL.

·
Registered
913 Posts
From the akc site, GSD is ranked 3 and Goldens 4 for registrations. I think that speaks volumes for the bite statistic. Just the sure number of these dogs out there. By the way #2 on the bite list is way down at 63 for registration.

I was surprised about the dog breath, Baylee our previous golden had the worst breath..ate cat poop all the time.

·
16,000 Posts
I did not see the show, but from what I am reading here, some of the information featured seems a little off base. No bad breath? To me that is like saying that there is such thing as a "dry-mouthed Saint Bernard!
I've known plenty of Goldens with terrible breath. What they are being fed, or other digestive issues is the main contributer, as well as the condition of the teeth and gums. Lord knows I loved her dearly, but at age 15 my Lyric's breath was less than delightful. ;)
As for the bite statistics, I imagine that came from the insurance industry. As someone noted previously, the number will be relative to the population, and Goldens being a very popular breed would certainly count for bite incidents being higher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey guys

Great comments! I'm seeing a lot of back and forth on the bite statistic. I will contact the production department and ask them to clarify. The hypothesis about their popularity leading to more bite #'s seems like it's very plausible, it would be my first guess as well. Also, the fact that folks feel more comfortable about them is a huge factor...I for one always let pooches smell my hand before offering a pat, if they don't take to me I just walk away (as hard as that is, but luckily not often).

I'll get right on finding that info out, but it may take me a while since the producers are off working on new shows already!

:)

·
Registered
913 Posts
AnimalPlanet.com when will the Dogs 101 video for the Golden Retriever be available on your website to view. Looking at the TV Schedule this episode is done playing for a little while and then I found the breed specific videos off of the show.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts