Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Golden Retrievers are the cutest puppies.....

16445 198
So, I was looking at the ridiculously adorable puppy photos entered in the May photo contest and thinking about the puppy we expect to bring home in about 3 weeks and it reminded me of a story......
About 24 yrs ago, my wife and I were watching TV one night and my wife asked why golden retriever puppies were always used in TV commercials. I told her it was because they were the cutest puppies. We had my first golden Rusty at the time, so I had golden puppy experience but she didn't. She said "How can you say that? All puppies are cute!" I said "All puppies ARE cute, but once you have one you will understand what I mean."
Fast forward 2-3 yrs....we had put Rusty to rest and had just gotten our 2nd golden Spencer as a puppy a couple of weeks earlier. Once again, one evening we were watching TV and she said "You know, you were right."
I said " Of course I was!......about what?"
She said " The puppy thing...."
I said "Oh yeah, that golden puppies are the cutest....."
She said "I see what you mean now."

Just wanted to share that. My alternate title for this thread is The Day I Was Right

Does anybody else have a puppy story(accompanied by photos would be awesome)? Feel free to share....
121 - 140 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I might have to sneak online and get Murphy one.....don't tell my wife!!

She is so funny....we can be out somewhere and I'll see something and say Murphy needs that and she'll say he's already got plenty of toys. Then I'll come home a few days later and he's got a new toy....she saw something she liked so she just had to get it for him.

·
Registered
150 Posts

She is so funny....we can be out somewhere and I'll see something and say Murphy needs that and she'll say he's already got plenty of toys. Then I'll come home a few days later and he's got a new toy....she saw something she liked so she just had to get it for him.
This very much reminds me of my parents. My mother will scold my dad for buying a ton of cookies or a bunch of pastries or something ... yet somehow she always has a reason not to go shopping WITH him to supervise! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts

Oh! I was going to say because I don't think I mentioned it here. It has a two toned squeaker. When you throw it, it makes this hilarious pained squawk when it hits the ground. It is really an A+ toy!

Here's a link ... not to encourage forbidden purchases or anything. ;) FRISCO Fur Really Real Opossum Dog Toy, Large - Chewy.com

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Murphy was 16 wks on Saturday (and so was his B-day buddy Darwin). We loaded him in the car and drove an hour down to the cemetery where my parents are and wandered around for a rew minutes. Then we went over to the BBQ place we used to eat at when I was growing up to get takeout for supper. This place has been there since 1947( I haven't been going there that long) and is now being run by the 4th generation of family. My wife and daughter have become BBQ snobs and won't eat it from anywhere else. Murphy did NOT get any BBQ.....but he did get a nice ride out of the deal.......

·
Registered
150 Posts
Darwin took his first ride in the car in his backseat hammock with his Champion harness yesterday! Turns out that I was wrong that the slightly too big one would be okay for now until he grows into it (still safer than riding unrestrained or on my lap in the front seat). But right up until he got extremely excited to be at our favorite cafe (where they always have a biscuit for him), it was great! I have repented my foolishness and ordered a second, smaller harness. No harm no foul, as I was able to keep him out of the front seat while my husband was driving. Just means I won't be taking him anywhere by myself until harness 2 arrives!

The up side? I pointed out to my husband that in four or five years, we'll need the harness anyway for our second Golden Retriever puppy and he did not naysay! ;)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Murphy went back to the vet for another checkup this morning. He's 17.5 wks and weighed in at "about 30 wiggly pounds". I'm not sure what the conversion rate is from wiggly pounds to standing still pounds.....
His skunk stripe down his back is more pronounced now
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Floor Flooring

He went out to my wife's school on Monday and met the principal and about 10 of the summer camp kids. She said he did really well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Murphy went back to the vet for another checkup this morning. He's 17.5 wks and weighed in at "about 30 wiggly pounds". I'm not sure what the conversion rate is from wiggly pounds to standing still pounds.....
His skunk stripe down his back is more pronounced now View attachment 884722
He went out to my wife's school on Monday and met the principal and about 10 of the summer camp kids. She said he did really well.
At 5.5 months, Archie’s stripe is completely blended around his body. Such fun for him to go to school!

Reactions: FurdogDad

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
My puppies make me laugh. It's one of the many things I love about them. I got up at 6AM with them on Sunday morning and we did all the usual morning routine stuff so by 7:30, they were settling down for a morning nap about the time my wife was getting up. I heard her coming down the stairs and said for her to come to the kitchen. When she stepped up to the gate and looked in, she saw......
Felidae Fawn Dog Carnivore Wood

Is it a feath-fur boa or a lion's mane?.....I don't know but it's cute and silly and we had to laugh. Last week she sent me a photo of them napping together one afternoon....
Dog Window Carnivore Comfort Dog breed

I laughed at that one too.....
They're silly when they play together as well. Murphy is still short enough to run under Lola like they're playing London Bridge or something.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Fawn
Dog Wood Flooring Floor Carnivore

He likes to go under and bite her on the back of the front leg....or the front of the back leg, he's not that picky. It's especially funny to us because that's exactly what Lo did to Charley when we brought her home. I guess karma really can bite you.....on the leg?

121 - 140 of 199 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.