Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it's cool how much alike they are in their coloring....Murphy is on Pro Plan large breed puppy and seems to be doing great. Lola eats the large breed adult so I'm sure that's what we will transition him to in a few months
Darwin eats Purina Pro Plan 30/20, so the adult food, he came home on it. I wonder if Murphy will be substantially bigger than Darwin at full grown or if they're just growing at different rates? I've noticed that Darwin is getting darker too, as he gets older. It's so much fun to watch him grow and change. Though I DO kind of miss being able to carry him so easily. ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Yeah, I'm interested and excited to see how Murphy's coloring changes as he matures....we met and interacted with both parents so we know pretty much what to expect...my wife said the same thing about carrying Murphy upstairs at bedtime...I think different pups grow at different rates just like kids

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I had a cool experience with Murphy last night. We went out about 9PM for his last potty break before bed and after peeing and getting a treat, he trotted a little farther down into the yard and was looking around in different directions. I followed him to see what had caught his attention. I realized he was fascinated by the fireflies so I picked him up and we watched them for several minutes, both our heads on swivels like spectators at a tennis match. He was mesmerized....I thought it was fun to get a fresh look at something I often take for granted from a puppy's perspective.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's one of the really fun things about watching our puppies. Seeing common things new again through their eyes, Nice that you take the time to appreciate it :giggle:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Breezy is 5mo. now and losing her puppy coat. About 2 weeks ago these curls showed up. We call her the hot mess. Definitely due for Spa day.
Darwin gets some of that after a bath while he's drying! Looks like someone took a crimping iron to him. ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Yeah, she just looks like she has a case of the frizzies....a bad fur day? I like her color....I'm thinking Murphy will look similar based on his parents

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I had a couple more "through the eyes of a puppy" moments again today....this morning about 6AM I took him out in his leash for his 1st potty break. The leash cast a shadow across one of the deck posts by the stairs. When I realized what he was staring at I started moving it up and and he started nodding his head up and down as it moved...pretty cute. I think I'm gonna practice up on my shadow animals so I can get him chasing squirrels and rabbits across the wall....
We also discovered the puppy inside the dishwasher door that he tried really really hard to play with(biting and scratching at the door).... I don't think he has noticed the one in the oven door yet.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a couple more "through the eyes of a puppy" moments again today....this morning about 6AM I took him out in his leash for his 1st potty break. The leash cast a shadow across one of the deck posts by the stairs. When I realized what he was staring at I started moving it up and and he started nodding his head up and down as it moved...pretty cute. I think I'm gonna practice up on my shadow animals so I can get him chasing squirrels and rabbits across the wall....
We also discovered the puppy inside the dishwasher door that he tried really really hard to play with(biting and scratching at the door).... I don't think he has noticed the one in the oven door yet.....
I had one of those the other day when a much needed rainstorm rolled through and I took him out to potty. And then we just stood on the patio and watched it rain and the trees in the park across the street swaying in the wind.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I first posted a picture of Darwin, someone on the forum (very reasonably and helpfully!) expressed concern that I might have purchased an 'English Cream' and should ensure I had health insurance for him due to the likelihood that his parents wouldn't have had appropriate clearance. I said he was definitely just a normal ole Golden, I just took a really washed out picture.

Today, I am going to admit that I lied. He isn't an English Cream, though, that isn't NEARLY fancy enough for my discerning tastes. He is the RAREST of Golden Retrievers, the Lunar Pink! ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
A few nights ago, as we were attempting to settle things down in the living room and watch a few minutes of a baseball game, Murphy discovered a new toy......
20210702_200020.jpg
20210702_200022.jpg
20210702_200024.jpg

The broom that is part of the fireplace tool set. He would nudge it with his nose, watch it swing back and forth and then try to bite it.... he has also discovered the puppy in the oven door now to go along with the one in the dishwasher door....

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Murphy is now 14 wks old. He goes to the vet on Wednesday for a checkup and weighed in. I'm sure he's a little over 20 lbs at this point. He and big sis Lola are getting more comfortable with each other now.
20210709_210417.jpg
20210710_065707.jpg

His crate was upstairs in our room but we moved it downstairs this past weekend and he went right in the last 2 nights and slept from 9PM to about 5:30AM. We took him on a socialization outing yesterday to a dog friendly outdoor shopping area about 20 minutes from home and he did great. We met some kids, teenagers and adults who were all impressed with how soft and fluffy he is. One of the custodial guys was sweeping the walkways and stopped to pet him. We even met another little golden girl pup named Piper. It was fun to see people's reactions to him because of course we think he's the cutest little thing on 4 feet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Murphy is now 14 wks old. He goes to the vet on Wednesday for a checkup and weighed in. I'm sure he's a little over 20 lbs at this point. He and big sis Lola are getting more comfortable with each other now.

His crate was upstairs in our room but we moved it downstairs this past weekend and he went right in the last 2 nights and slept from 9PM to about 5:30AM. We took him on a socialization outing yesterday to a dog friendly outdoor shopping area about 20 minutes from home and he did great. We met some kids, teenagers and adults who were all impressed with how soft and fluffy he is. One of the custodial guys was sweeping the walkways and stopped to pet him. We even met another little golden girl pup named Piper. It was fun to see people's reactions to him because of course we think he's the cutest little thing on 4 feet.
Darwin goes in tomorrow as well, we weighed him last Tuesday at puppy preschool and he came in at 18.6lbs. Maybe he's finally catching up with Murphy? Darwin gets his fourth parvo shot and I cannot >WAIT< to be able to take him places without stressing about that. Our vet let us know that Parvo is really bad here and a lot of people don't vaccinate. We've basically not let him touch the ground anywhere that isn't in our apartment or yard.

Darwin is one of four golden puppies in his puppy preschool. The other three are all "English Cream" and I will admit to a littttttle bit of amusement that all the other puppy parents and staff fuss the most over Darwin and how adorable and fluffy he is. ;) There's a puppy parent that has two terrier puppies and spent a lot of play group going "Are Golden Retriever puppies always so FLUFFY?" in absolute wonder.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Darwin just needed a little growth spurt to catch up. The area we went to is super dog friendly and kept very clean. Most shops leave community water bowls by their front doors but we took water and a bowl for Murphy and he didn't interact with any dogs except the other golden puppy who was not fluffy like Murphy....they kept asking "Why is he so fluffy?"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Darwin just needed a little growth spurt to catch up. The area we went to is super dog friendly and kept very clean. Most shops leave community water bowls by their front doors but we took water and a bowl for Murphy and he didn't interact with any dogs except the other golden puppy who was not fluffy like Murphy....they kept asking "Why is he so fluffy?"
It's been kind of weird here because some of the places that we would normally have loved to take him were temporarily not allowing dogs until just last week due to COVID-19 restrictions (like Farmers Markets). We've taken him to a few hardware/outdoor supply stores, a few pet stores, and multiple times to the patio of dog friendly cafe. He just stays in our laps or in the cart with a blanket under him. Part of it is my own paranoia, especially after our neighbors told us that they had lost two puppies in a row to Parvo (not recently, but they haven't tried again in years because of that experience.)

Also, nowhere here is super busy? I'm not sure why! But we've tried things like waiting outside grocery stores, but it's hard to find any that are A) Not directly in the desert sun, and b) busy enough to be worth the time vs. just going ot the cafe where there is shade, a table and coffee. XD

On the bright side, given that socialization has been harder than I expected, he has yet to meet anyone or anything or hear any sound that SCARED him, beyond just a momentary startle response followed by "What was THAT?" and a desire to go check it out.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts