Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Golden Retriever (GOLDIE) 3 years old, wont eat any foods, drinks a lot of water, he is very lethargic and sleeps all day. I can see through his eyes he is very unwell, but i live in a town where vets are not available, and even if they are they havent dealt with a Golden Retriever before. He loves food and has never not ate. He is losing a lot of weight and i am scared he is going to starve himself to death. He hasn't thrown up, his eyes look normal and gums look fine. It has been a week and a half since he has ate anything and he has no energy.

PLEASE ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT
THANKYOU

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Hello and welcome. Please get Goldie to the nearest vet or emergency veterinarian clinic as soon as possible. In the meantime try feeding him some table food by hand. Maybe some chicken, rice or scrambled eggs?

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
I agree with Lynn C, you need to get your dog to a vet ASAP, I am in the UK, and know that there are vets in your area who will be able to to help you and assess your dogs condition and offer advice and treatment accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for replying.

Goldie lives in South India with my Parents, this is such an unexpected change in his health. Its been a week now since he ate properly, he's drinking a lot of water. My mum noticed his urine being diluted reddish. Im almost certain he has a kidney disease, its a very sad time for me. They live in a town were it is very hard for a professional vet. All Goldie is doing is sleeping and nothing else. I don't know what to say or do.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fever or not?? Important to understand viral or not?
Is there any chance he ate any bones or other stuff which could block the intestines???? That may be fatal.
Vaccinations upto date? For the vaccinations, you shall take a visit 3 times a year for an adult golden. If you live in that area where there are no vets, how did he/she have her vaccinations?
Try feeding anything. But anything. Even hamburgers.
One week is tooo long. You may loose him any minute!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Feel his stomach, if theres a block you will need to get to a vet... ASAP.

You can go a bit without food, but you are pushing even those limits.

Try Chicken, Hamburger... Feed it by hand. If they don't eat that, you might be staring at the end. I'll hope for the best for you, but that sounds insanely dire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your responses guys.

His vaccinations are up to date, we got a vet to come from the city, and he has checked out Goldie and taken blood test and urine samples, he has got some medication and is feeling bettter. He is eating a little now and is more active and not as lethargic as he was earlier this week.

ill keep his progress posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts