Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we finally caught a head tremor that our golden retriever has been displaying lately. It only lasts for a few seconds. Our vet put him on Gabapentin before we were able to catch the video in case it was pain related (I just sent the video to her tonight to see if it helps).

He is taking on alternating days Azathioprine & Budesonide. Those were done almost 2 years ago as a result of chronic vomiting that was determined to be IBS.

Hopefully soon we will have the results of a thyroid check as I read on here about that being a potential cause.

Has anyone seen this before and know what might be causing it? Is it anything to worry about and will it continue to get worse?

His diet is Orijen Adult or Fit & Trim (we switched about 3 weeks ago, this problem occurred before then), he also has 50grams of Fage Yogurt twice a day and 1tsp of fish oil with lemon at night (each of those are with 95 grams of dog food - just less than a cup).

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Do you live anywhere close to a vet school?
You could get a neurologist and any other service you might need all in one place. Brain and CNS things are very difficult for your vet to treat adequately as a rule, it all just takes too long to get referral appointments. You were lucky to have caught that on video....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, we finally caught a head tremor that our golden retriever has been displaying lately. It only lasts for a few seconds. Our vet put him on Gabapentin before we were able to catch the video in case it was pain related (I just sent the video to her tonight to see if it helps).

He is taking on alternating days Azathioprine & Budesonide. Those were done almost 2 years ago as a result of chronic vomiting that was determined to be IBS.

Hopefully soon we will have the results of a thyroid check as I read on here about that being a potential cause.

Has anyone seen this before and know what might be causing it? Is it anything to worry about and will it continue to get worse?

His diet is Orijen Adult or Fit & Trim (we switched about 3 weeks ago, this problem occurred before then), he also has 50grams of Fage Yogurt twice a day and 1tsp of fish oil with lemon at night (each of those are with 95 grams of dog food - just less than a cup).

Sadly, we found out today that what is happening in this video is a focal seizure. Our vet feels it likely is the cause of a brain tumor. We will be making an appointment at a large animal hospital in a city about an hour away to do an MRI. It's mostly so we can understand what stage we are at and determine next steps. Thanks for all of the comments and taking time to look at the video. I see there is a whole subtopic on seizures here, so time to read up on that next.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I am sorry too. Maybe it will be something that can be slowed down or treatable.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am so sorry for what you've heard..but I'm relieved you heard something. I hope the MRI can help decide what can be done..hopefully something quick and easy. My prayers include you and your very handsome boy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.