Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I adopted a 6mo golden retriever pup about a month before we had our first <human> child. Brilliant, I realize. :)

That said, we've made a concerted effort to ensure that the baby and pup bond, and we've made a decent effort to document the bonding process on video. I've uploaded several videoclips to YouTube, and I've pasted a few links below. Enjoy. :)

Baby's first meeting with the pup (baby 1 day old):

Claire's First Meeting with Max - YouTube

Baby at 1 month, pup at 8 months:

Golden Retriever Babysitting Newborn - YouTube

Baby at 8 months, pup at 14 months:

Baby Bonds with Her Golden Retriever - YouTube

Baby at 11 months, pup at 18 months

Baby's Tummy Time w/ Golden Retriever - YouTube

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Those videos are so cute! Thank you!
I experienced with all my Goldens so far, that they are great around kids of any age and very gentle.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Thank You for posting those.....what a beautiful family you have! There is something so precious about a Golden, and a baby!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,337 Posts
So precious, your daughter Claire is beautiful.

Things work out the way they're suppose to, just think how much you would have missed out on if you hadn't adopted Max. You wouldn't be seeing how great he is with your daughter. There's nothing better IMO than Goldens and children, there's a very special love and bond between the two.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
What great videos of Max and your daughter they will be even more precious when you look back on them in years to come they are going to have a very special bond as they grow up together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is soooooooo very sweet. Made me melt!
Your golden is soooo super calm and gentle. Your bub is soooo cute.
They both will be best of friends as they grow together.

·
Registered
523 Posts
He is so sweet and so gentle with Claire. It's amazing how nurturing he is at such a young age. Beautiful

·
Premium Member
17,943 Posts
Your boy has a stellar temperment, that was really perfection between them. Whatever training you've done to make him comfortable with her has been a complete success. Actually, I would love for you to share how you worked with him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the 6 1/2-year delay in my response. I didn't receive an email notice that someone had responded to my initial post, so I just saw it. To answer your question, we always walked the dog and let him burn a bunch of energy before we'd put our baby with him. We knew that he'd never intentionally hurt her, but we wanted to help mitigate the risk of an accidentally-harmful encounter, such as smacking our daughter with his frantically wagging tail. :)

As an update for anyone who sees this: Sadly, we just lost this wonderful dog to lymphoma last week. Our daughter is now 7 1/2, and she's only known 3 days of her life without that dog. We are indeed grateful for the images that we created back then, and as we're coping with our loss, we're revisiting those images quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts