Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Goldy owners :)

I have a quick question. When we got our boy Randall, the breeder told us that he will likely end up weighing anywhere up to 50kg. I think this was due to the size of the parents.

Well he is 12 months on, and has hit the 45kg mark (and looks like he will keep growing!).

Is a 45kg retriever too heavy for 1 year old (or even an adult?). We have had someone tell us that even 40kg is too heavy. We took offence to this comment (as we consider ourselves very good and caring dog owners).

He doesn't look overweight at all, and only feed him one cup of Pro Plan twice a day.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Thanks

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
For those of us that need the conversion:
40kg = 88.2 pounds
45kg = 99.2 pounds
50kg = 110.2 pounds

Without pictures (profile and from above) and without knowing his height measured at the shoulder (holler if you want to know how to accurately get this measurement)...
Just going from the numbers your provided and assuming that his height is within the breed standard....then yes, at 45kg, your puppy is most definitely VERY over weight.
He should be no more then 34-36 kg as an adult.

PLEASE dont take offense...please...there is no time for hurt feelings.
The consequence of being overweight are dramatic, painful and life shortening.

You must get an accurate weight and an accurate height as well as some pictures in profile and from above...

Then be brutally honest and look at ALL of the small calories that your dog may be eating...measure his food with a measuring cup or scale (no heaping, mounded cupfuls), count EVERY training treat...ALL snacks....ALL toppers that you might be putting on his food...quiz everyone in the family to be sure they are not slipping him extra calories through the day. It is sooo hard to resist those sweet, beautiful eyes!

If your dog was ill from any other disease, I know you would do everything within your power to help him extend his life. Obesity is just as serious as any disease. There is no time to waste in helping your pup.

There are lots of us here that have helped dogs lose weight and even more that have and continue to lose our own weight! So you WILL receive support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading your post, he has been re-weighed. Somewhere between 35-40kg.

Some recent pictures here are attached.

Picture 1
Picture 2

Probably not the best angles for this purpose though...

We are very strict with his diet; he never gets anything more than one flat scoop twice a day, and we are very strict when people come around to make sure he doesn't get any human food or treats.

I honestly think he is just a big dog? He doesn't look at all overweight.

But we will look into further. Thanks for your help :)

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
It's hard to tell from those pics about his weight... if anything it looks like he's big boned and fluffy<: :)

I would not let him gain much more weight than he is right now.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
He might very well be 100 lbs by the time he is full grown. And depending on his bone structure that might be a good weight for him. While that is not the standard breed weight for a golden it doesn't mean it isn't for his body type. I had a 100 lb boy myself. The pictures don't make him look that big.
2 cups a day is not alot of food for a dog that size. He is beautiful by the way!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
My Lucky was 120 pounds and my vet told me it was a good weight for him and his bone structure. Buddy is going to be about 90 pounds once appropriate weight is gained according to the vet he should be 85 to 95 pounds about.

Your pup is just a big boy I think. Very fluffy too.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Your pup looks like what our Buddy looked like at that age. His father was built like a dump truck. We were warned by the breeder to never run him, his frame was just too big. He too was fluffy like Randall. You sound like you are doing all the right things for him. I think you just have a large framed boy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ive been trying to play off that "Im just big boned" bluff with my doctor my whole life...guess what its hooey! Now as I approach 50 years on this planet...Im paying for being overweight now..

The actual bones of a dog only weigh 'so much'...
The internal organs can only weigh 'so much'
The muscle & tendons required to move those bones and those internal organs through space can only weigh 'so much' even if you have a ripped, well-muscled, athlete of a dog...
The rest is fat....plain and simple.

Reactions: GoldenSail

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
WHAT? Never run your dog?
A breed bred for hunting and retrieving...youre warned to NEVER run him?

Your pup looks like what our Buddy looked like at that age. His father was built like a dump truck. We were warned by the breeder to never run him, his frame was just too big. He too was fluffy like Randall. You sound like you are doing all the right things for him. I think you just have a large framed boy.

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the breed standard for males is around 70-80 pounds, however, some dogs do have bigger frames. I had a friend with a 100+ pound yellow lab, but he wasn't fat...just taller than normal. No matter how big his frame is though, you can tell if your dog is at an ideal weight by the following guidelines:

"Easy to feel ribs without excess fat covering. Viewed from the side, belly is tucked up. Viewed from above, a noticeable waist in front of the hips."

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
The actual bones of a dog only weigh 'so much'...
The internal organs can only weigh 'so much'
The muscle & tendons required to move those bones and those internal organs through space can only weigh 'so much' even if you have a ripped, well-muscled, athlete of a dog...
The rest is fat....plain and simple.
I agree... or what I was thinking about last night was I read about the 120 lbs after admiring Shalva's new picture thread with her gorgeous 135lb wolfhound who can knock couches over and grab stuff off the fridge. :eek:

I was thinking as far as feeding and maintaining a healthy weight on your dog... a lot of it depends on your specific dog. 2 cups of food might actually be more than enough for the average family pet who gets treats and handouts throughout the day. And if the dog is maintaining a healthy weight instead of gaining or losing weight, you know he's eating the right amount for him.

With my Jacks I noticed that he was looking a bit too thin (I think because winter walks burn more calories than summer) and I added 1/2 cup of a higher calorie kibble to his regular food.

For his size (close to the top height in the breed standard) and body structure (big boned), I need to keep his weight under control (below 80 lbs). He can't afford to carry "a little comfort weight" - because he would look pretty blimpy and it'd be bad for his joints. :eek: While most vets aren't concerned about goldens who are 80-85lbs, my one vet who is a surgeon and sees a lot of the impact all that extra weight has on hearts and bones is emphatic about keeping dogs as lean as possible.

I've never met any golden retriever that I could see needing to weigh upwards of 90 lbs in order to thrive. I can't imagine that being a healthy weight. <- I've met a lot of field type labs who definitely were oversized and weighed that much. Not too many goldens though.

*** And bone structure matters more than height. Our collie is an inch and a half taller than our golden, but he weighs 20 lbs less. ;)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
A 100 pound golden or lab would look like a Pyr or Newf

A Great Pyrenees dog, 27" tall, weighs 100 pounds...
A Newfoundland bitch 26" tall and 100 pounds

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
They are made for running and retrieving. My Lucky was 120 pounds. He would run, swim, and retrieve til he was too tired to move.

Other than size what is the reason for why your Buddy was not allowed to run? Hip or elbow problems?

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I think the breed standard for males is around 70-80 pounds, however, some dogs do have bigger frames. I had a friend with a 100+ pound yellow lab, but he wasn't fat...just taller than normal. No matter how big his frame is though, you can tell if your dog is at an ideal weight by the following guidelines:

"Easy to feel ribs without excess fat covering. Viewed from the side, belly is tucked up. Viewed from above, a noticeable waist in front of the hips."
Our 100 golden was the same. However he looked like the lion king with all his hair. When he was wet you could feel his ribs and see his waist. People will believe what they want. Does not matter.
They are made for running and retrieving. My Lucky was 120 pounds. He would run, swim, and retrieve til he was too tired to move.

Other than size what is the reason for why your Buddy was not allowed to run? Hip or elbow problems?
Our 110 pounder swam all the time in the pool and the river. He didn't know how to walk he used to run 3 miles with us every other day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I have inadvertently started a debate :-S

Randall has been to our vet during the past week, and they told us he looks very healthy.

The other week we took him to the beach, and when he came out of the water, he actually looked rather skinny with his fur all wet! So I don't think there are any weight issues with our Randall.

Sounds like there are a large range of sizes in the breed. Guess it all depends on genes! I have seen many Goldens with a thin, long head, as opposed to our pup who has a broad large head. Maybe the weight is all in the head ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
For his size (close to the top height in the breed standard) and body structure (big boned), I need to keep his weight under control (below 80 lbs). He can't afford to carry "a little comfort weight" - because he would look pretty blimpy and it'd be bad for his joints. :eek: While most vets aren't concerned about goldens who are 80-85lbs, my one vet who is a surgeon and sees a lot of the impact all that extra weight has on hearts and bones is emphatic about keeping dogs as lean as possible.

I've never met any golden retriever that I could see needing to weigh upwards of 90 lbs in order to thrive. I can't imagine that being a healthy weight. <- I've met a lot of field type labs who definitely were oversized and weighed that much. Not too many goldens though.

*** And bone structure matters more than height. Our collie is an inch and a half taller than our golden, but he weighs 20 lbs less. ;)

Our Rocky-CH Harborview Just U Wait BISS BOSS was about 89 lbs in his prime and yes, he is an American Champion and has group placements to his credit. He is almost 24.5 in tall and is a very substantial dog who was also always in very hard condition. Pedigree: CH Harborview Just U Wait OS BISS BOSS The photo here he is soaking wet after winning a group placement in the pouring down rain.

Rocky is now 12.5 and weighs about 84 lbs because he has lost some muscle mass with age but is still far from being chunky :)

We don't often see goldens of this size anymore and people are still always shocked at his size when they come to our home to meet the dogs.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
Our Rocky-CH Harborview Just U Wait BISS BOSS was about 89 lbs in his prime and yes, he is an American Champion and has group placements to his credit. He is almost 24.5 in tall and is a very substantial dog who was also always in very hard condition. Pedigree: CH Harborview Just U Wait OS BISS BOSS The photo here he is soaking wet after winning a group placement in the pouring down rain.

Rocky is now 12.5 and weighs about 84 lbs because he has lost some muscle mass with age but is still far from being chunky :)

We don't often see goldens of this size anymore and people are still always shocked at his size when they come to our home to meet the dogs.
Holy cow! I don't see where those extra pounds were. He wore them very well. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts