Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a golden retriever who is 8 years old named Lee. He has a thyroid issue which we just diagnosed a couple of days back. While the issue is not life threatening, he does have an underperforming thyroid which is extremely low.

The vet has prescribed him thyroxin tablets (100 mg) however the dosage prescribed is a little concerning to me. The vet has prescribed 7 tablets a day to be given to him (thyroxin, 100 mg). I did get a second opinion as well and the other vet reassured me that the dosage is correct for his weight of 40 kgs.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had an issue with thyroid for their goldie and whether the dosage prescribed is correct. I'm a little hesitant as humans too get thyroid, however the dosage of thyroxin isn't that high for us. And I definitely do not want any complications from this medication resulting in further problems in the future.

Would appreciate someone just assuring me about the dosage being correct.

Thanks so much in advance.

Zubin & Lee.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you sure you have these mg units right? 100mg * 7 daily would be a huge amount.

It should be 0.1 mg per pound. So if the vet offered you only small pills (assuming they don't have bigger pills) then I agree 7 pills for 40kg dog is just about right, BUT each pill should be 0.1mg NOT 100mg.

My guys get 0.8mg daily (in 1 pill, which I split in half for morning and evening dosage) and they are similar weight.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
that's way off dosage if you got the decimal point right OP.

And to dose only for a week is also way off. Typically it is 1 or 2 times a day (depending on which camp the vet is in) and some fraction of 1 mg. So a typical 60# Golden might get a 0.4mg tab twice a day, even if he weighs 80 pounds- I do not believe it is weight dependent, but more T4 and freeT result dependent. What was written above (that it is 0.1 mg/pound) is also not correct. A 70# dog (were that true) would get 70mg- also way too much.

Expect a 0.2- 0.8 dose twice a day. Or once a day, depending on whose school the vet is listening to. There is good evidence that the blood concentration isn't much changed w BID dosing vs QD.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
also- human dose @ the rate you posted would be insanely though the roof. Human doses run in mcg not mg the reason some people end up in hospital if they run out of their meds and take the dogs' meds...happens .

Just out of curiosity- what is your dog's FreeT and T4? I ask because Goldens tend to run a low normal, and that low normal is actually Golden normal.

Reactions: Peri29

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I would go to the clinic and ask to speak to the Dr. Sadly at my clinic, I love my vet but the girls up front are not reliable. They fill the script according to what they see on the paper and like all humans can mess up but once they have entered it into the file they treat it like gospel.
I've actually had to go to the clinic to get past the ladies up front to clear up mistakes. The girls look at the file and then the label without any understanding of what is normal. If I called questioning they looked at the file and repeated what was entered without any knowledge of the medication or proper dosage.
So make a quick trip and ask for the Dr. to be sure you got what the Dr intended for you to get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I just double checked, the dosage of the pills is in mcg not mg as mentioned by me prior. Sorry i'm just very taken aback with this entire Thyroid issue so have been a little stressed about my pup, hence the mistake. Just to verify that the dosage is 7 tablets of 100 "mcg". Just wondering if that is alright to give him.

Thank you all very much for your responses and sorry for my mistake.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, this sounds about right in mcg. 100mcg is equal to 0.1mg. So 7 pills is roughly correct. In these units my guys get equivalent of 8 pills. Your vet should offer you bigger pills though for the size of the dog. 7 pills to administer is harder than 1 with higher concentration of medication.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, joro i shall definitely speak to the vet again and reiterate what you've said.

Thank you all very much for all your help and responses. Much appreciated.

Zubin and Lee.

·
3 goldens
12,011 Posts
I have had 3 goldens on thyroid. Two started on and remained on .8 tablets, 1 tablet twice a day. The other had to have his increased a smidgen after about 3 years. I have been on thyroid for 9 years and mine has been upped 3 times. I take one a day 30 minutes to an hour before breakfast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts