Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 month old golden retriever male named Miller. He is very active and seems very happy and healthy. Last Friday (5.29) Miller got his rabies vaccination and seemed perfectly fine until this past Sunday. It was about 9 o’clock at night and he just got up from sleeping and threw up all the food in his stomach. Right after we gave him water and took him out to use the bathroom and he seemed fine and playful again. Then, last night at about the same time he stood up and vomited all the food out of his stomach. This was after he refused dinner (which he NEVER does). I put some of his probiotic in it, he ate a few bites, then my bf tried to get him to eat it an hour later and just the smell of it had him puking. Since I got him at 8 weeks old he has been eating Purina One Smart Puppy Blend and then we recently switched to Purina One Smart Puppy Large Breed Blend. He seemed to get a bit gassy around 10 weeks and I spoke to my vet and she gave me a probiotic that definitely helped a bit. Recently I had noticed watery eyes after eating but I thought it might be due to excitedness over eating. We gave him boiled chicken last night after he was sick because I could tell he was STARVED and he ate it right up and then again this morning. We have now switched him to Natural Balance Puppy Food and the last 2 meals he seems to love it, licks the bowl clean, and seems fairly happy overall. I called my vet just to see what she said about everything and she said he should be fine, just see what happens with new food, he probably had a sensitivity to the Purina blend. I just took him out and his stool was very loose. The vet said it will take a bit for him to get used to the new food and to do it gradually, maybe adding boiled chicken to his diet for 2-3 days. I wanted to see if anyone has ever had a similar experience and what they did to get their dog better and able to eat? I know it might take a couple days for him to completely bounce back, but would love any feedback I can get.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I wouldn't keep changing his food, but if what your doing doesn't work Purina has a food that you can buy from your vet Purina EN - Gastroenteric. I would switch to that for a week to two to allow his tummy to rest and then I would slowly transition from that to Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy. It is different then the Purina One Smart Puppy that you were feeding. I've always had really good luck with it. Whenever I have a dog that has an upset stomach I go to the Purina EN for a week or so.

I had a terrible time with my sons lab puppy last summer. She was only 15 weeks and was constantly having issues. We did the EN for a month and then slowly transitioned her back and she was fine. I have a suspicion that my 4 year old grandson was sneaking her his food. .

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
My dog gets this way by eating grass and from some treats that he swallows without chewing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our new pup, now 28weeks, got sick like this when we brought him home, he was reacting to his puppy shots he got the day we picked him up. The breeder was feeding him Purina puppy chow Large Dogs. We continued using the same food. Our vet always had one primary step when one of our dogs is vomiting. Stop feeding him for 24 hours and then change over to a canned food provided by our vet. Dogs do not digest food like people. They hold food in their stomach for 24 hours, moving through them very slowly. So they do not get 'starved' when you cut off their food, but it does allow them to get calmed down so they can again eat something. Starting them out on something the vet recommends carries that time and protection for another few days.

This treatment works to stop vomiting and diarrhea. At least it did for us...

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,649 Posts
Member IowaGold put this thread together many years ago, she is a Vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts