Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Golden Retriever puppy is very dull :(

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Thunder'sMom 
#1 ·
we are first time pet owners and my daughter wanted only a golden retriever after spending a long weekend at a friends place who had 3 of them. We brought home a puppy 4 days back when he was 6 weeks old. We got him from a good breeder near our city. Since Leo came home he has been very dull and sleeping for the most part. He is active just before and after eating. He plays for 30 minutes to an hour and sleeps for 1.5 to 2 hours. This maybe normal but we don’t know for sure and me, my wife and my daughter are worried if we are doing something wrong. Never having a pet before is not helping either.

can anyone in this forum help us with some advice ?

#2 ·
Yes... it’s totally normal for the puppy that small. They play about 30 min to an hour depends on the puppy and sleep for 2-3 hours. Again wake up, play and sleep for 2-3 hours. Sometimes they sleep more than 3 hours if very tired. Don’t worry, seems like you are doing good. Our puppy is 5 months old and have same schedule still.

#6 ·
In many states it is illegal to sell a puppy younger than 7-8 weeks old. Selling him to you that young definitely tells me he did not come from a reputable breeder. It’s likely that what you are experiencing is normal in a puppy that young, but given that he was taken from his mother much too soon I would definitely make an appt to see a vet for a wellness check if you haven't already, and even if he’s healthy now, keep a close eye on him for possible health issues in the next few weeks. I’d also strongly recommend getting health insurance for him, as his chances of having health issues in the future is higher than if he came from a reputable breeder.

#8 ·
I’m no expert, but anyone who sells a 6 week old puppy is not a good breeder. It’s not even legal to separate a puppy that young from it’s mother, in most, if not all, states. It is still to young to do much of anything other than eat and sleep. I’d definitely keep a close eye on it and consult a vet and trainer about how to help mitigate the fact that it was separated from it’s mom and littermates so early. Separating that young can cause long term behavior and psych issues. Give it a couple more weeks and you’ll start to see some personality.

#9 ·
Bad breeder, pup should never be taken away from the litter and mom at 6wks. No wonder he is sleeping he is shocked at what has happened to him. Hopefully, in time he will start making a normal adjustment to being removed from his litter...it is hard on them when this happens...

Did you verify that the breeder had full health certificates on the parents?

#11 ·
It's more the littermates at 6 weeks. And mitigating the lack of them is what you should seek help with. The sleep, that's normal. Here in a few weeks it will be the nippiness (the littermates would have helped teach him bite inhibition) so stock up on freezable things and get on top of the crate training so you have a place to put him. Don't neglect to take him out a lot. Even if he seems potty trained, it'll be two forward one and a half back.

#15 ·
The noise of an old wind up clock or a radio playing softly can be comforting to a young puppy.

Reactions: Ivyacres
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.