Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

GOLDEN RETRIEVER PUPPY GROWL

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  gdgli 
#1 ·
I have a 3 and a half month old male golden retriever named Miller. He is absolutely the best dog and seems very happy and healthy. He has been learning commands well and loves to play. However, he has always had a little bit of an aggressive side. For the most part, I think it’s just puppy play, however, any time he’s not completely exhausted and he’s being loved on (kisses, petting, love pats, etc.) he makes this noise that is almost the mix between a growl and a pur. It’s definitely different than when I see him growling at other dogs (which is rare), but sometimes he will also try nipping/ biting when he’s in this mood. Does anyone know what this behavior means or how to stop it? He’s such a sweet little fur ball, but I’d love to get this growling under control!

#3 · (Edited)
My Watson was always a brat. He challenged me constantly, even at an early age. It was more of a grumble and huff than a growl, but as long as wasn't about a toy or food, I didn't mind. He mostly argued with me when he wanted to play and I didn't, or it was time for bed. When he got out of control, I put him in the bathroom 'time out' and left him for 5 minutes. That worked, but he still was a brat until 1 year old.

#5 ·
Rukie does that and so did my last girl Tawny. It's a weird snort, purr, growl. They did it when they were very happy about getting ear rubs or being petted. Tawny would come to me after a good meal to thank me and she would purr/growl her love. I think it's similar to when a cat purrs. I love it.

#6 ·
Moe is two and has growled whenever he’s happy, excited, or wants more attention. He’s not aggressive at all. He’s actually the sweetest boy I’ve ever owned. He is just vocal. It can scare non dog people until they get to know him but it’s part of his charm. We call it his happy growl. It sounds like a loud purr.

Reactions: gdgli
#9 ·
I'm remembering so much of how Watson talked to me. He never 'growled'. I guess the sound is more of an 'errrr' with the mouth closed. Maybe an "Hmmmmm" but through the nose, but no, that's not right. It's so very different than a real growl. It's talking. He looked right in my eyes. It means 'look at me' or or 'hey, why are you sitting when we should be playing?' Watson would do this when blocking the TV and staring at me, really giving me no choice but to play.

#10 ·
You don't want to correct or punish a growl. It's the only way the dog can let you know he's not comfortable with whatever is happening. If you can identify the times he will make this growling noise, start making whatever accompanies it a positive thing, for instance, if he does it when you pet his head, give a treat, pet his head, stop petting and give another treat. You will want to practice that for a while, until you see that he is accepting the petting without protest anymore.

Most dogs don't like to be hugged and kissed, it's not something they enjoy. So if that is when he is growling, it's probably best to just stop.

Reactions: gdgli
#12 ·
My boy Ted, almost 2, does a grunt-grumbling (Not growling) sound when he wants some of your food (never gets any), wants you to get up to play or get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes accompanied with a withering ‘I am not amused by your human stupidness look’.

#13 ·
My advise is to put this vocalization in context.
1. What was the dog doing at the time?
2. What were you doing at the time?
3. What kind of body language did you see? I have found that lips, eyes, ears, and the type of tail level and wag frequency is easiest to see.
4. What other stressors might be present? Stressors tend to have a stacking effect.

That being said my gut feeling is that this is part of his puppy play. I was startled when my dog did this---almost 40 years ago. Now I recognize it for what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.