Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is Daniel and I just got 2 new 2 month puppies golden retrievers and I notice that they drink lots of water all day they play a lot together and have fun but they also pee a lot. So I have a water fountain container so water is always available for them but I don't know how much is enough for them ? I am trying to learn from them they are good on potty training but i am using a lot of pads because they pee a lot so my question is should i limit the consumption of water before they go to bed like an hour before bed so they can pee before they go to bed ? Or let them drink the last water with meal before they go to bed ? They are on a crate at night so the meals run from 6 am ,then 11 am, snack at 2 pm and dinner like around 6 pm and maybe another snack at 10 pm before bed. So how much water is enough i don't want to restrict them but there's been a few accidents on the crate and i think is because they drink still water close to bed time..need a good schedule! Please help i am new on this type od dogs..thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I stop giving Molly water at 7:30. As she gets older I add a half hour to it. It used to be 7:00pm
She can drink as much as she wants all day .
She also does not get anything more to eat after her supper. Molly is 5 months

·
Registered
28 Posts
We pick up Mabel's water about an hour to an hour and a half before bedtime (which is usually between 9:30 and 10:00). We make sure she pees right before we put her in the crate. She's been sleeping through the night (9:30 to 6:00, usually) for a little over a week now. She's 11 weeks old.

·
Registered
775 Posts
They will drink as much as you let them; however, they will constantly wake you or piddle in their crate if they have a ton. I limit water around 7 for my 7 month old otherwise she would drink 2 gallons before bed. And I need to sleep. She gets as much as she wants between 6 am until I limit her access.

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
I have never restricted water... but I also take baby puppies out about every half hour. Remember when you have 2 pups you need to spend lots of one on one with each of them. Otherwise the pups bond so tightly together they will never include or need to play or bond with you. This is one of the reason that quality breeders will not sell 2 at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
I restrict water at around 8 or 9pm. no food & drink near bedtime as well or they'll have to go in the middle of the night if they are younger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts