Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Oprah on in the background and she was discussing Discovery Channel's In the Womb documentary. They showed about a two minute clip of how the golden pup grows in the mother and what size they are what stages. It was really neat.

She said at 6 months these pups will be sexually mature and ready to have puppies of their own. They might be ready but geeze I hope they don't have puppies at 6 months of age... is that right???

Oprah quote: "There is nothing cuter than a golden retriever puppy!" :)

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
She said at 6 months these pups will be sexually mature and ready to have puppies of their own. They might be ready but geeze I hope they don't have puppies at 6 months of age... is but they sure aren't ready to, nor is it wise :)that right???
Not "ready to"...but "capable of." Just like human females might be capable of having a baby at age 12 or 13... but they sure aren't ready to, nor is it wise :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm glad that Oprah is educating the public about Golden Retrievers. Her show reaches a huge section of the public. Now, if she's not already involved, we ned to see whether she'd be interested in expanding upon that educational effort and feature some rescue Goldens.

I'll bet she'd be interested.

·
My Golden Is Hotter!
533 Posts
This is probably not good! now tonz of moms around US are going to buy golden puppies... Cuz of Oprah!! think about the rescues a year from now!!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well, that's my point. Oprah has shown how Goldens reproduce, and now she can go on to explain about responsible dog ownership, which is not necessarily spaying and neutering every animal on the planet. Some people are responsible dog people, after all.

But she could explain about how irresponsible people are the reason why we have overcrowded shelters across the nation...yeah, she could visit a few shelters and even broadcast live from a large county shelter, and maybe do another show from a small, underfunded rural shelter. She could get some outrage going.

Oprah could go on to describe the menace presented by the puppymills, and how backyard breeders contribute to the health problems and overpopulation problems of the Golden breed. Of course, she could talk about dogs in general, perhaps using the Golden breed as an example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts