Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure were to post these pics, thought puppy forum might be the best because I'm wondering: Does your golden look like this when they look down? Is this squishy face a puppy thing? Or will he be wrinkly from a young age on? I think it's adorable but he's a total piggywutz when it comes to eating, drinking and slobbering!!

This first picture doesn't really show the wrinkles but he looks pretty dang Chinese in this pic!!!!

Okay onto wrinkly....

·
Registered
552 Posts
I often wondered the same thing about apple....she has the same wrinkles when looking down...one of my favorite things about her!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Those are great. I was just telling Caue tonight that I was going to have to get him a facelift. I swear the boy can't see a thing if he tries to look down. LOL. His momma thought he was going to grow a whole lot bigger than he did.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I love Murphy's wrinkles. I tried to get a picture of them for you, but of course he was being uncooperative.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Could be blood hound wrinkles. In 1868, Lord Tweedmouth mated a tweed water spaniel (Belle) and a yellow wavy coated retriever (Nous). This was the foundation of the Golden Retriever breed. During later breedings of that line Tweedmouth added in the Irish Setter, a flat coat retriever, and a bloodhound.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh I'm not alone. Do your winkly dogs make a mess eating and drinking too? Murphys a bit young to be showing it yet but do the others slime you sometimes? Or do those qualities have nothing to do with his baggy face? Hmm.

Also super interesting about the bloodhound. Here is a pic and you can see that the eyebrows of a golden must have come from here!! The wrinkles are in similar places as well. http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/images/BLOODHOUND.jpg

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Could be blood hound wrinkles. In 1868, Lord Tweedmouth mated a tweed water spaniel (Belle) and a yellow wavy coated retriever (Nous). This was the foundation of the Golden Retriever breed. During later breedings of that line Tweedmouth added in the Irish Setter, a flat coat retriever, and a bloodhound.
Now, that's interesting! I remember watching Dogs 101 on the NatGeo channel when they showcased the Golden Retriever, and Lord Tweedmouth was mentioned, but I didn't realize a bloodhound was added to the mix! How cool!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ooh I'm not alone. Do your winkly dogs make a mess eating and drinking too? Murphys a bit young to be showing it yet but do the others slime you sometimes? Or do those qualities have nothing to do with his baggy face? Hmm.
Another trait handed to goldens from the bloodhound, which is an excessive drooler. None of our goldens have ever been able to drink water without spreading it all over the entire kitchen floor. Wet socks are commomn in our house. Gracie is also a terrible drooler...if food is anywhere close by, it's not odd to see foot long drool hanging from her cheeks and she drools so much her chest becomes soaked.

I have also read that a Newfoundland was also part of Tweedmouths Golden program. It is easy to see this influence in some of the biger blockier headed goldens. Newfy's are known to be excessive droolers also.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't know but I sure hope that cage top is on tight!!! Any drool here is in anticipation for lunch that is in that cage. :eek:

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
None of our goldens have ever been able to drink water without spreading it all over the entire kitchen floor.

We have the same problem with our Zoey. I thought she might outgrow it, but it seems the bigger she gets, the more water is on the floor!

When Zoey is looking down from the top of our stairs, she get a wrinkly face too. It is so cute!!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Love your pictures...Chester has that look. If food is around and the dogs are begging (yes my dogs beg) poor Murphy is getting the worst of it and is wet from big brother Chester slobber.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love your pictures...Chester has that look. If food is around and the dogs are begging (yes my dogs beg) poor Murphy is getting the worst of it and is wet from big brother Chester slobber.

Ah someone else who feels my pain!! Max slimes poor Willow fairly often. My pants are wet right now from him laying his head on my leg after drinking. I feel Murphys pain!!!

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
All that history is so interesting! Winchester drools while waiting for his food and makes a sloppy wet mess when he drinks his water. I love all his floppy skin on his face too. One of the reasons I love his dad!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts