Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so i am posting some new pics of DUDE so that you can help me identify if he is a golden retriever or golden lab. According to the breeder he is golden retriever, but by the looks of him he looks like a golden lab so please help

The images are from the day we got him to present day. Now he is 6 months old

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm not any kind of expert, but he looks more lab like to me. Is it possible that he is a mix between the two? I don't see feathering in those pics, but if he does maybe he could be a lab golden mix. Did you see the parents?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not any kind of expert, but he looks more lab like to me. Is it possible that he is a mix between the two? I don't see feathering in those pics, but if he does maybe he could be a lab golden mix. Did you see the parents?
No, i did not see the parents. But the breeder says that he had rechecked by seeing the parents and he is also confused why this happened

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Looks like a yellow Lab to me-handsome boy :) Did the owner of the mother also own a lab, or were there labs in the neighborhood? A litter can have more than one father, so possible his father was a lab and his siblings were fathered by a Golden.

Also possible, either or neither parent is purebred. We saw that on here where a breeder finally confessed that a dog he sold as a Golden, with AKC papers on full registration, was actually a mixed-breed (doodle).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a yellow Lab to me-handsome boy :) Did the owner of the mother also own a lab, or were there labs in the neighborhood? A litter can have more than one father, so possible his father was a lab and his siblings were fathered by a Golden.

Also possible, either or neither parent is purebred. We saw that on here where a breeder finally confessed that a dog he sold as a Golden, with AKC papers on full registration, was actually a doodle.
wow, well i am not sure about the other labs in the house or neighborhood, but i see that is possible. I guess i have to wait for some more time to see, but i am convinced that Dude is a labrador, but the breeder is not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would agree with the others here, Dude looks like a handsome lab. The only way to know for sure is to have him genetically tested. If you paid pure breed dollar for the dog and the results come back he is not, the minimum the breeder would be required to do is refund your money...

I think our pup Murphy resembles a lab more than any other pure bred golden I've run into, other golden owners have (politely) questioned his heritage & we are asked nearly every walk his breed. As a pup he looked like his dad in terms of a flatter, short coat which we preferred. This is more common in the english breeding lines from what I understand and not desired in the AKC standard.

Murphy's dad - very clearly a golden, but in person this is a golden with a very short coat and only mild feathering.

Murphy @ 15 weeks - No feathering & he's still sporting a flat coat

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Murphy's definitely a golden. He'll get more hair as he gets older. You can see the golden in his ears, rear, and tail. Plus his body coat is longer than a lab puppy's would be.

I'd like to see a picture of dude standing so that we can see his rear end/tail (from the side). His front half certainly looks yellow lab. How old is Dude.

Reactions: Megora

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
Dude looks like a full blooded lab to me. I don't see any golden traits.

You could DNA test him for yourself because I doubt it will convince the breeder. If the breeder keeps telling you he is a full golden when he clearly doesn't look like one I kind of am doubtful of this breeder myself.

Does India have an organization such as AKC here in the US that you could report the breeder too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude looks like a full blooded lab to me. I don't see any golden traits.

You could DNA test him for yourself because I doubt it will convince the breeder. If the breeder keeps telling you he is a full golden when he clearly doesn't look like one I kind of am doubtful of this breeder myself.

Does India have an organization such as AKC here in the US that you could report the breeder too?
Yes, we have kennel club of india. I will see if the breeder gives back the money and would keep only for a lab

1 - 20 of 53 Posts